SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    You will buy a Glock
Page 1 ... 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 ... 562
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You will buy a Glock Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Full M models? Or Gen 4 with no finger grooves and front serrations? Glock spends more time on changing internals that work, than externals that people are not too crazy about.

Glock internals have remained nearly unchanged in 30 years. Subtle improvements or refinements have been made. The changes in the generations of Glocks have primarily been external.

Given that the brand continues to be one of the most ubiquitous and most sold brands of handgun in the world, as well as the most widely carried and used, maybe it isn't about what people are "crazy about."

There are those who say "I'd buy one if it didn't have finger grooves." Fair enough...but there aren't enough of those to make it a major issue, else economics may have dictated a change back to the Gen 2 style long ago.

Personally, I don't customize the grips or make big changes; I adapt and learn to shoot the handgun. I've made minor changes to mine, sight upgrades or selections of the OEM offerings (swapping smooth trigger for serrated, but with Glock parts)...but I'd like to be able to pick up any Glock and fire instead of a one-off abortion that I tried to customize for myself.

No, my hand wasn't used to make the mould for the finger grooves; it's a standard feature that I have to adapt to, and I do. I'm far more concerned that the pistol is reliable and that I can put the rounds where they need to go, than whether the finger grooves are there or whether it's been custom molded to my fingers. I'll adapt, like most pistols. I wasn't "crazy" about the flat front strap on the P239 when I first got one, but I quickly adapted. After all, the pistol wasn't changing, so I needed to, and I carried it daily for several years. Turns out that it's a shooter issue.

For those who aren't "crazy" enough to buy a Glock with finger grooves, I'll probably take up their position on the sales numbers at least a few more times and add to a growing large number of Glocks. I'm not "crazy" about them, but I buy them because they work really well and because I adapt to them. They don't adapt to me. Doesn't bother me a bit so long as it goes bang and the bullet goes where it's supposed to.

Not too concerned about the color, either.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
The 19M and 17M models should be making their way to us this summer according to The Firearm Blog. No finger grooves...

That's not even close to what they said in the article on the 17M that TFB posted today. See for yourself at http://www.thefirearmblog.com/...017/04/22/glock-17m/

Quotes from the article include:

"At the top of my (and many others) list of releases is the the elusive Glock Generation 5 and/or ‘M’ models that may or may not make an appearance sometime this year."

And

"Again, at this point we have no idea if the ‘M’ series will make it into public hands or if a separate ‘Generation 5’ series will debut sometime in the future."

Where in there does TFB say anything like "17Ms and 19Ms will be available to the public this summer"?

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
The 19M and 17M models should be making their way to us this summer according to The Firearm Blog. No finger grooves...

That's not even close to what they said in the article on the 17M that TFB posted today. See for yourself at http://www.thefirearmblog.com/...017/04/22/glock-17m/

Quotes from the article include:

"At the top of my (and many others) list of releases is the the elusive Glock Generation 5 and/or ‘M’ models that may or may not make an appearance sometime this year."

And

"Again, at this point we have no idea if the ‘M’ series will make it into public hands or if a separate ‘Generation 5’ series will debut sometime in the future."

Where in there does TFB say anything like "17Ms and 19Ms will be available to the public this summer"?

Thanks, Rogue! Sorry guys, my bust. I was thinking the April 7 post there was for the M models, but it referenced the "C"s we may have talked about with the front and rear slide grooves. Wishful thinking on my part.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/...ock-models-g19c-g24/

I read yesterday's post Rogue mentioned too. Still hopeful they announce something soon as mentioned in the article perhaps at the NRA meeting and show.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Full M models? Or Gen 4 with no finger grooves and front serrations? Glock spends more time on changing internals that work, than externals that people are not too crazy about.

Glock internals have remained nearly unchanged in 30 years. Subtle improvements or refinements have been made. The changes in the generations of Glocks have primarily been external.

Given that the brand continues to be one of the most ubiquitous and most sold brands of handgun in the world, as well as the most widely carried and used, maybe it isn't about what people are "crazy about."

There are those who say "I'd buy one if it didn't have finger grooves." Fair enough...but there aren't enough of those to make it a major issue, else economics may have dictated a change back to the Gen 2 style long ago.

Personally, I don't customize the grips or make big changes; I adapt and learn to shoot the handgun. I've made minor changes to mine, sight upgrades or selections of the OEM offerings (swapping smooth trigger for serrated, but with Glock parts)...but I'd like to be able to pick up any Glock and fire instead of a one-off abortion that I tried to customize for myself.

No, my hand wasn't used to make the mould for the finger grooves; it's a standard feature that I have to adapt to, and I do. I'm far more concerned that the pistol is reliable and that I can put the rounds where they need to go, than whether the finger grooves are there or whether it's been custom molded to my fingers. I'll adapt, like most pistols. I wasn't "crazy" about the flat front strap on the P239 when I first got one, but I quickly adapted. After all, the pistol wasn't changing, so I needed to, and I carried it daily for several years. Turns out that it's a shooter issue.

For those who aren't "crazy" enough to buy a Glock with finger grooves, I'll probably take up their position on the sales numbers at least a few more times and add to a growing large number of Glocks. I'm not "crazy" about them, but I buy them because they work really well and because I adapt to them. They don't adapt to me. Doesn't bother me a bit so long as it goes bang and the bullet goes where it's supposed to.

Not too concerned about the color, either.

He said "ubiquitous".

I'm saying when the GEN 4 came out, the internals were changed that offered no real improvements over the gen 3. As a matter of fact many still prefer gen 3 trigger feel. Apparently the M models changed internals once again and had to be sent back almost immediately. Sounds like a way to become less "ubiquitous" to me.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
So I've put my 229 up for sale in anticipation of purchasing a Glock 19. I've really fallen in love with my 43 and it just makes sense for me to go that route. I've also become increasingly annoyed at how I just can't seem to change my grip and stop holding the slide release on the Sig. so the question is do I go with an MOS or standard model. I'd like to try out a dot on a handgun just not sure when. The dealer who I use has the MOS for only $50 more which makes it a no brainer IMO. However the question is a miller slide better than an MOS generic type system.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 98XJRC:
So I've put my 229 up for sale in anticipation of purchasing a Glock 19. I've really fallen in love with my 43 and it just makes sense for me to go that route. I've also become increasingly annoyed at how I just can't seem to change my grip and stop holding the slide release on the Sig. so the question is do I go with an MOS or standard model. I'd like to try out a dot on a handgun just not sure when. The dealer who I use has the MOS for only $50 more which makes it a no brainer IMO. However the question is a miller slide better than an MOS generic type system.

Well you can look at the MOS as giving you options when it comes to choosing a reflex sight, both initially and later on if the first choice didn't meet expectations. With the aftermarket milled solution you're probably picking a sight and going forward will be tied to it or at least its brand, assuming that various sibling models share the same mounting points and overall size.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
quote:

Before committing to the G19 look at the G17. I ended up with a 43, two 19's and a 17. I usually shoot the 17 and the 43; but rarely the 19's.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:

Well you can look at the MOS as giving you options when it comes to choosing a reflex sight, both initially and later on if the first choice didn't meet expectations. With the aftermarket milled solution you're probably picking a sight and going forward will be tied to it or at least its brand, assuming that various sibling models share the same mounting points and overall size.

I get the advantage of the MOS allowing multiple options, however is there an advantage of going Milled. The only other thing I hear is it sits slightly lower.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
I guess I went down another path today. 105 rounds through it and its a keeper! Glock 30SF

Posts: 1979 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got my G19Gen4 with my GSSF coupon today. Those savings alone make the lifetime GSSF membership worth it. Even if I never won anything at a match, the membership would pay for itself many times over.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
I finally gave in to the dark side yesterday. I bought a new Glock 19 gen 4. The guy at the shop said it was a "special" one. One of a kind. Way better than all the other Glock 19's they make. Big Grin

I think I'm gonna like it and will probably get a 17 later.

Posts: 1440 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
It's twue, it's twue!

Just ordered a 17 Gen 4.

In my defense, it's not for me, it's a graduation present for my grandson.

I fondled a P225 while waiting tho, so it's all good... Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought twenty

Posts: 139 | Registered: August 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Let's see 'em

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SVTNate
posted Hide Post
After over 15 years of shooting black, stock Glocks, my first Instagram-worthy Glock is underway.

Designed a pattern for the slide with a local shop, custom freehand urban camo to be applied, frame work, Deus fluted and TiN-coated barrel and guide rod, Deus flat trigger, and their magwell. Trijicon HD XR sights.

It'll take roughly a month to build. The frame alone takes a couple journeys... the trigger guard gets cut, as does the mag release scallop. The slide is milled. Both pieces get Cerakote. Then, the texture on the frame is done, including removing the finger grooves. So the frame will be camo to match the slide, but the texture will not be coated.

If it all works out to my liking, I might do a second gun, specifically a G19, that'll be toned down appropriate for carry (no slide windows, no aftermarket trigger or barrel).

Will a $2,000 Glock 17 be more reliable, more accurate, or more operator-ish than a stock $500 gun? Nah. Probably not. But it'll be cool, I'm having fun researching the build and spec'ing the slide design, and I'm supporting local pro-gun and veteran-owned businesses. What's wrong with that?

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Guns, cars, Cuban cigars

Posts: 2570 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
Well I traded in my 229 and ended up picking up a gen 4 Glock 19. Put 150 rounds through it yesterday with no issues, like a Glock should. Now I just need to change the sights, get a holster, possibly stipple. The thing that pleased me the most was with how I hold it the slide locked back. I could never consistently get the slide to lock back when empty on the Sig due to how I place my thumbs.

I'm leaning towards the Ameriglo Spartans and am up in the air for holster currently.

Picture of TENWOLVES
posted Hide Post
That's funny, you right handed shooters seem to have that problem with the slide not locking back, where us lefty's do not.. but an ambi gun would be better, the Sig P226 AND P229 AND P220 AND P938 WORK great great for me, but so does anything Glock, FN, HK, SA, kimber,Browning HP, Beretta.us lefy's have it made that way, your choice for a Glock is a good one, and if it works well for you which it should, your problem is solved, I have CT laser grips on mine as well as night sights and Ghost 3.5 trigger, enjoy your 19 as well I do mine...

P226 Scorpion, P225 A-1, P 226 SAO Legion, P229 Legion, P 22O Hunter SAO, P938, P320 full, P 320X Carry, P365 P365 XL. P365 SAS

Posts: 277 | Location: Grant Pass, Oregon | Registered: April 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:
I guess I went down another path today. 105 rounds through it and its a keeper! Glock 30SF

The 30s is about the best carry .45 I have found

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:

The 30s is about the best carry .45 I have found

30s is a great carry .45 love mine.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well I traded in my 229 and ended up picking up a gen 4 Glock 19. Put 150 rounds through it yesterday with no issues, like a Glock should. Now I just need to change the sights, get a holster, possibly stipple. The thing that pleased me the most was with how I hold it the slide locked back. I could never consistently get the slide to lock back when empty on the Sig due to how I place my thumbs.

I'm leaning towards the Ameriglo Spartans and am up in the air for holster currently.

Yeah, when I shoot P-SIGs I always have to remember to fly my thumb on my trigger hand else the slide stop won't do its job on the last shot. If I haven't shot a P228 or its near siblings in a while I usually remember after the first mag through the gun.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post