SIGforum
You will buy a Glock

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/5941074751

December 05, 2018, 06:08 PM
coloradohunter44
You will buy a Glock
I have finally joined the Glock group. A model 26. I have much to learn.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!
December 05, 2018, 06:22 PM
Butch 2340

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

December 06, 2018, 07:51 AM
Canman2004
I just traded my G19 for a 320 X-Carry and couldn’t be happier. I could never get use to the grip angle of Glocks. I guess I could if they were all I shoot. I’ll still keep my G23 around since it’s been abused so much and it got some sentimental attachment.
December 06, 2018, 10:29 AM
RHINOWSO
Nice review of the Vickers kit - I still use the Glock OEM Extended releases on my big Glocks but the G42/43s get the Vickers slide stops.
December 06, 2018, 12:17 PM
P220 Smudge
If you haven’t tried one on a full size, it might be worth it. With the extended OEM, I found myself riding the slide stop to the point where the slide wouldn’t lock open on empty. Hasn’t been a problem with the Vickers. The problem I AM encountering is that my acid sweat is rusting the bejesus out of it.

Though, I’ll say the ones I own are older and look different from the one pictured above, which has more of a rounded profile than angled, like mine are. Might be that they’re treating them with a different finish now as well.

December 06, 2018, 06:56 PM
RHINOWSO
quote:
If you haven’t tried one on a full size, it might be worth it. With the extended OEM, I found myself riding the slide stop to the point where the slide wouldn’t lock open on empty.

I might have to try one, although I've never had that issue ever, even with extended slide stops.

I am trying to find a slightly extended magazine release on the G19/G45. I have the OEM extended 'FBI' mag release in all of em, with is a whisker or two taller. Tried the Ghost and hated it, took it out before even going to the range. Maybe I'll give the Vickers a try.
December 06, 2018, 07:17 PM
sns3guppy
I shot a course and had issues with the G19 either locking back prematurely or dropping; it took a few days to determine but was the OEM extended slide stop release. I had them on all my Glocks. It was never a range issue, and didn't turn up until I started really hammering them. With thumbs forward close to the frame, it got activated.

I switched to the Vickers and have had no issues since. Now all my Glocks have the Vickers.

The OEM standard slide stop release doesn't have that issue at all, of course. The benefit of the Vickers is that it's snag resistant, not easy to inadvertently activate, but easy to positively lock up or down.
December 06, 2018, 07:22 PM
RHINOWSO
Yeah, I've taken classes and never had that issue once.
December 07, 2018, 01:00 AM
P220 Smudge
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
If you haven’t tried one on a full size, it might be worth it. With the extended OEM, I found myself riding the slide stop to the point where the slide wouldn’t lock open on empty.

I might have to try one, although I've never had that issue ever, even with extended slide stops.

Yeah, shortly after I posted it, I realized that surely that isn't a problem for everyone and didn't mean it to sound like like I think it is, but life happened and I didn't get to editing the post in time. Big Grin

What I guess I want to say is that the Vickers, at least the ones I've used and what looks to be a further improved version in the pics 1lowlife has posted, is a nice compromise between between the OEM standard slide stop and the OEM extended slide stop for those of us finding that we were riding the gun out of slide lock on empty. If you don't feel like you need it, don't feel like I'm trying to push it on you. Big Grin

I also have the Vickers controls on my G42, and for a pistol that small, they make a drastic improvement in handling and manipulation.

December 07, 2018, 03:14 AM
1lowlife
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I am trying to find a slightly extended magazine release on the G19/G45. I have the OEM extended 'FBI' mag release in all of em, with is a whisker or two taller. Tried the Ghost and hated it, took it out before even going to the range. Maybe I'll give the Vickers a try.

The Vickers is 'smaller/shorter' than OEM IMHO.
But I like that is doesn't stick out as far as the OEM.
I also like it's 'rounded' shape.

quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I also have the Vickers controls on my G42, and for a pistol that small, they make a drastic improvement in handling and manipulation.

Same here on the G42, along with the Vickers mag extension...

December 09, 2018, 09:12 PM
Redhookbklyn
Yeah, I bought another one.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

December 09, 2018, 09:21 PM
grumpy1
Last time I bought a Glock was in the early 90s when I bought my Gen 2 Glock 19. It is my only Glock but am thinking of getting a Glock 45 at some point. Will the Glock 45 fit Glock 19 holsters? Mine is an all kydex Ozark single clip IWB. Thanks for any advice.
December 09, 2018, 09:34 PM
P220 Smudge
In theory, yes it should. It's a G19 length slide and a G17 frame length, so absent any really tight molding issues (the frame has gotten a hair thicker in some parts over the succeeding generations) or a holster made for a Glock without a rail, I imagine it should work.

December 09, 2018, 09:58 PM
grumpy1
Thanks P220 Smudge! Smile
December 18, 2018, 08:32 AM
fpuhan
I never thought I'd be considering this, much less posting about it.

At the range this past weekend, I was asking about the SIG P365. "It's on our wishlist," I was told. Mine, too.

So, it seems the P365 is a unicorn around here, and then I read reports of all the problems associated with it and I wonder...

The guy behind the counter was showing compact 9mm guns to another customer: Shield, G43, PPS, and we got to talking. He was waxing on about his Glock, and how he could mistreat it all day long and it would shoot. He said he hadn't even cleaned it for six months and only realized he needed to as it was flashing as he shot it.

I had thought about a Glock 43 for my daughter, but she's not yet found the gun that suits her. I've been carrying a P938, but with the problems I've had with it, feel like I can't trust it when it's needed most.

Now, I'm considering buying a G43. Should I get my head examined? Will you try to talk me out of it?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member
December 18, 2018, 09:12 AM
rockchalk06
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
I never thought I'd be considering this, much less posting about it.

At the range this past weekend, I was asking about the SIG P365. "It's on our wishlist," I was told. Mine, too.

So, it seems the P365 is a unicorn around here, and then I read reports of all the problems associated with it and I wonder...

The guy behind the counter was showing compact 9mm guns to another customer: Shield, G43, PPS, and we got to talking. He was waxing on about his Glock, and how he could mistreat it all day long and it would shoot. He said he hadn't even cleaned it for six months and only realized he needed to as it was flashing as he shot it.

I had thought about a Glock 43 for my daughter, but she's not yet found the gun that suits her. I've been carrying a P938, but with the problems I've had with it, feel like I can't trust it when it's needed most.

Now, I'm considering buying a G43. Should I get my head examined? Will you try to talk me out of it?

I had two 43's. Both USA Talo models. 1st was a tac driver and reliable as you would expect from a Glock. I sold it to fund a P365. After the P365 (first one) gave me issues, it was sent to Sig. Received a new one back and sold it. Went back to the Glock 43 Talo and I had nothing but issue after issue with it. After replacing everything but the slide frame and barrel, I finally got it to run right. Sold it and tried for P365 #2. I have a thread on it here. It's getting ready to go back to Sig for the 2nd time for one of the same issues it was sent before.

I give up on micro's..........
December 18, 2018, 09:12 AM
Warhorse
quote:

If you fundamentally do not like Glocks, don't buy it. If your on the edge, rent one and take it for a test spin.

December 18, 2018, 09:38 AM
fpuhan
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
quote:

If you fundamentally do not like Glocks, don't buy it. If your on the edge, rent one and take it for a test spin.

I understand there is an emotional "war" going on vis-a-vis "pro-Glock" and "anti-Glock." I don't understand it any more than I understand the "Nikon vs. Canon" or "Gibson vs. Fender" wars. For me, it's what fits and works best for me.

Renting a G43 at my range is a simple thing to do. I don't know why I haven't so far, as I own S&W, Springfield, SIG, and several other brands. Maybe I need a Glock just to flesh out my arsenal.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member
December 18, 2018, 10:53 AM
RNshooter
The G43 is nice. I own one. My wife owns one.
However, it is a wee bit small and snappy. And a bit of a unicorn among Glock-kind.

For a real representative example of why Glock has become synonymous with "gun", try out a G19.
Love or hate that and you know how you feel about Glocks.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken
December 18, 2018, 04:13 PM
MRBTX
A Hogue slip-on grip on a G43 makes a world of difference with recoil control and filling the hand just a bit more.