SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    You will buy a Glock
Page 1 ... 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 ... 562
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You will buy a Glock Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Looks like you're right about the rail.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: newtoSig765,

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The lack of finger grooves and rail are the two most obvious differences.

There are a couple of minor internal differences, which have no effect on functioning, but which mean that you may need to pay extra careful attention when buying spare parts (like the extractor).

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guilty...bought a Gen 4 19 a week ago. Took it to the range and damn if it doesn't function well and shoot good.

CT

Posts: 246 | Location: Damn it's hot! | Registered: September 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I came across this last night. I think its best torture video out there for the Glock.

Real issues dont start until 9:10.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub4OswUhLwo

Posts: 7398 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Whtwolf14
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
I came across this last night. I think its best torture video out there for the Glock.

Wow...not bad. Totally agree, I'll never carry enough ammo on my person to get my G19 to fail like that. Cool

Posts: 4281 | Location: Mountains....lots of Mountains.... | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:

I watched that, start to finish.
I even LOLed a few times..

Nice to know my Glocks will out live me since I'm handing them down to my kids when the time comes.. Big Grin

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased a GEN 4 Glock 19. What is the forums opinion on weighted guide rods? I had one on a gen 3 Glock 34 years ago and liked the change in balance. But I have seen online reviews stating the GEN 4 has reliability issues with this upgrade, making it not much of an upgrade at all.

Does anyone have experience or insight to offer?

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
I recently purchased a GEN 4 Glock 19. What is the forums opinion on weighted guide rods? I had one on a gen 3 Glock 34 years ago and liked the change in balance. But I have seen online reviews stating the GEN 4 has reliability issues with this upgrade, making it not much of an upgrade at all.

I've used SS guide rods in a few Glocks over the years, but always went back to the stock guide rods.
3 out of the 4 I tried had the allen screw come loose over time and I got tired of checking and tighten them..

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
IIRC the Gen 4 has a captive recoil spring unit. You can't replace just the guide rod. But I have heard of complete stainless replacement units.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
quote:

I've used SS guide rods in a few Glocks over the years, but always went back to the stock guide rods.
3 out of the 4 I tried had the allen screw come loose over time and I got tired of checking and tighten them..

Zero experience with the gen 4 weighted rods, but the one that came with my Gen 2 19 had the same problem. Allen screw kept coming loose. I finally loaded it up with clear nail polish and tightened it down. Hasn't moved in two years and a thousand or so rounds. I notice a bit quieter, smoother cycling during admin functions, and a teensy bit of drag on the slide cycle when shooting vs the stock RSA. Not better, just different.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
quote:

Had a few with stainless guide rods in the gen 4s. They are salty (60 dollars a piece or so). Didn't notice much of a change in balance. It's a part I wouldn't bother with unless you're going for a lighter or stronger spring (playing with reloads at the range) and thats more with competition guns.

An ideal 19 for me is a set of night sights, trigger of your flavor (still want to play with an agency arms one to compare to my zev techs and haley ones I have now), and a vickers slide stop. Everything else is personal preference, but those three things I've done to all my 19s right off the bat. May need to get another 19 to try out that trigger since I'm thinking about it.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:

Depends on what kind you buy. Tungsten is brittle and is known to shatter.

If its a carry gun, I would stay with the stock setup. If its just a range gun, then I wouldnt care. I have a tungsten in my G34. I figure if it ever breaks, ill replace it. Its just a range gun.

Posts: 7398 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
IIRC the Gen 4 has a captive recoil spring unit. You can't replace just the guide rod. But I have heard of complete stainless replacement units.

Yes that is correct, but the units I'm finding for sale are all encompassing drop in replacements.

Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If its a carry gun, I would stay with the stock setup. If its just a range gun, then I wouldnt care. I have a tungsten in my G34. I figure if it ever breaks, ill replace it. Its just a range gun.
I didn't know that about tungsten, thanks! Yes this is for EDC.

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I didn't know that about tungsten, thanks! Yes this is for EDC.

Look up tungsten on Wikipedia and do a search on that page for brittle. I think there was 3 instances that it was mentioned on the page.

I just dont want to see it fail on you at the wrong time. Like I said, I have one on my G34, but its just a range gun. If it ever breaks on me, it will get replaced with a stainless rod.

Picture of TLP888
posted Hide Post

And suddenly, 10mm.

Posts: 225 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: May 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I had an issue with my G23 where the slide stop wasn't popping back up properly. I took it in to Glock and the first thing they asked was if I had used a stainless guide rod. I had for a while, and the guy said that since the steel didn't give, it battered that part of the frame more deforming the polymer a little bit, enough to snag on the slide stop. He shaved a tiny bit down and I've stuck with the stock guide rod since then with zero issues.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
I had an issue with my G23 where the slide stop wasn't popping back up properly. I took it in to Glock and the first thing they asked was if I had used a stainless guide rod. I had for a while, and the guy said that since the steel didn't give, it battered that part of the frame more deforming the polymer a little bit, enough to snag on the slide stop. He shaved a tiny bit down and I've stuck with the stock guide rod since then with zero issues.

That's exactly the kind of feedback i was hoping to find on sigforum; thanks!

Picture of TikritTourist
posted Hide Post

Tomorrow’s battle is won during today’s practice.
- Samurai maxim

Posts: 753 | Location: Northeast US | Registered: August 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post