SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    You will buy a Glock
Page 1 ... 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 ... 562
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You will buy a Glock Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Color me weird. I've been shooting defensive handguns since 1962. Who knows how many rounds - tens or hundred of thousands of rounds. I have NEVER had a factory premium defensive round fail to ignite in ANY gun. Reloads, cheap factory practice loads, .22 rimfires - yes. Different story.

The last thing on the planet I worrry about is a quality factory SD round not going bang. Can/does it happen? Sure. Can a jet engine fall off a 737 and hit me on the head? Sure. Tap-rack-bang, second strike? Shit, doesn't work - go to the backup gun. You DO carry a BUG don't you?

Everbody has the right to their own preferences and opinions. I carry/have carried revolvers, 1911's an S&W semi, Sigs and my new G34. They're all friggin tools. SHTF - Toss me a police surplus S&W M10 with a decent +P .38 Spl load and I'll be happy. Jeez.

To each his own is fine. But it doesn't mean that the other guys choice sucks. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of submoa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull-1:
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
1. Click (Instead of Bang)
2. Tap
3. Rack
4. Bang (or ready)

I don't even think about it. Is there another way? Razz

That's easy to do when you aren't shot. Much harder with one hand or in a close quarter fight with someone beating your head in. Just saying.

Ahhh, now it makes sense...in a close quarter fight with someone beating your head in you just pull the trigger again after waiting a few seconds...

Got it Roll Eyes

Posts: 1273 | Location: South Florida, A Third World Country with Modern Conveniences | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
Color me weird. I've been shooting defensive handguns since 1962. Who knows how many rounds - tens or hundred of thousands of rounds. I have NEVER had a factory premium defensive round fail to ignite in ANY gun. Reloads, cheap factory practice loads, .22 rimfires - yes. Different story.
I've had one- a CorBon 115 grain +P+ 9mm round. This was many years ago, and it is the point at which I stopped trusting CorBon ammunition. Maybe that's not fair, but there it is.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull-1:
quote:
1. Click (Instead of Bang)
2. Tap
3. Rack
4. Bang (or ready)

I don't even think about it. Is there another way? Razz

That's easy to do when you aren't shot. Much harder with one hand or in a close quarter fight with someone beating your head in. Just saying.

Unless you practice it-which I do. I understand what you're saying but if you have it in your head that all you have to do is pull the trigger again, that's what you'll do when you have some other kind of stoppage under stress.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by submoa:

Ahhh, now it makes sense...in a close quarter fight with someone beating your head in you just pull the trigger again after waiting a few seconds...

Got it Roll Eyes

Now you're just being a jerk. You wait on the *RANGE* just like you do anytime you have a misfire on the *RANGE* to see if it goes on its own. In defensive training/practice or a fight you wouldn't do that. Grow up. Seriously.

Posts: 382 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unless you practice it-which I do. I understand what you're saying but if you have it in your head that all you have to do is pull the trigger again, that's what you'll do when you have some other kind of stoppage under stress.

Agreed, which is why I practice two-hand and one-hand failure-to-fire drills regularly...however...when that isn't a choice I prefer to have the OPTION to squeeze the trigger a dozen times if I have to. Glocks and some Smiths don't let me which is one reason why I will never own one.

Posts: 382 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TribuSig,

Posts: 248 | Location: FL | Registered: August 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After a couple years of looking at this post and thinking I would never surrender, it happened. First a G20, not because I wanted a Glock, because I wanted a 10mm. I tolerated the fact that it was a Glock.

Yesterday I came home with a G19. It makes me feel kind of funny in my pants.

This secret has been tearing me up.

Posts: 325 | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
{hugs}

It's OK to be you.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
So you'll never carry or rely on a rifle for self defense? I've fired many rifles but I've yet to find one that has second strike ability. Such as the AR, bolt actions, lever guns, pump etc.

Tap, track, bang.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zingo:
After a couple years of looking at this post and thinking I would never surrender, it happened. First a G20, not because I wanted a Glock, because I wanted a 10mm. I tolerated the fact that it was a Glock.

Yesterday I came home with a G19. It makes me feel kind of funny in my pants.

This secret has been tearing me up.

Unfortunately, this post cracked me up. Smile But, I totally understand about not wanting a Glock, then getting one and now wanting/getting another. I shot a friends Glock and found that I love the Gen4 17, so I bought one...Though I EDC a P228, I really want a Gen4 G19.

Posts: 365 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: April 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
So you'll never carry or rely on a rifle for self defense? I've fired many rifles but I've yet to find one that has second strike ability. Such as the AR, bolt actions, lever guns, pump etc.

Tap, track, bang.

I can't carry a rifle for self defense so I don't.

The only time I will be using one that way is an end of the world scenario or a riot and I don't intend to let them get close enough for it to matter. If anyone is close enough to grab my rifle I expect it will be empty by which time I would be at pistols and bayos range any way...

A handgun is a close quarter weapon as a general rule. Tapping, racking and firing is great but will not always be a viable option depending on the scenario.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Good point. My other concern would be a squib if the round does fire the second time.

Anyway, I like both Sig and Glock but prefer Glock. For me, among the things that can go wrong, second strike isn't a deal breaker for me.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I suppose Merry Christmas to me. Despite my recent foray into 1911s, I simply can't stray too far from the roost. In spite of all the recent frenzied madness I too contribute to this ballistic economic insanity (besides, the boss gave me a discount I just couldn't pass up on). The latest, in Gen4 flavor:

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While Sig is still the only brand I own two of, I made the plunge less than a a week ago. I now have a Glock 36. Possibly the only model slim enough to fit my hands.

Most of you know this is a 6+1 shot .45 ACP.

My first impression was "What a horrific trigger!" It was marked at 5.5 lbs. pull but measured 8.0 out of the box. One cleaning and 200 rounds later, it was still over 7#. Despite this, I am surprisingly accurate with it.

Yesterday, I installed a Ghost Ranger 4.5 connector and did the 25 cent trigger job (Flitz). First, what an easy gun to work on. Second, the measured result isn't very close to 4.5 #. Anyone know if that's only when you add a spring kit? I've no plans to do that as this will be a carry gun.

I'm gonna give this 150 -200 rounds before final judgement.I already like it better than the Nano trigger. That's mushy and has a long reset by comparison.

We're at 5.75# and hopefully falling. Otherwise a small investment worth the learning experience. My first full detail strip.

This Glock rocks.

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only way I would own a Glock is if someone gave me one and then I would sell it and put the money towards another Sig.

Posts: 17 | Registered: November 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redford1970:
While Sig is still the only brand I own two of, I made the plunge less than a a week ago. I now have a Glock 36. Possibly the only model slim enough to fit my hands.

Most of you know this is a 6+1 shot .45 ACP.

My first impression was "What a horrific trigger!" It was marked at 5.5 lbs. pull but measured 8.0 out of the box. One cleaning and 200 rounds later, it was still over 7#. Despite this, I am surprisingly accurate with it.

Yesterday, I installed a Ghost Ranger 4.5 connector and did the 25 cent trigger job (Flitz). First, what an easy gun to work on. Second, the measured result isn't very close to 4.5 #. Anyone know if that's only when you add a spring kit? I've no plans to do that as this will be a carry gun.

I'm gonna give this 150 -200 rounds before final judgement.I already like it better than the Nano trigger. That's mushy and has a long reset by comparison.

We're at 5.75# and hopefully falling. Otherwise a small investment worth the learning experience. My first full detail strip.

This Glock rocks.

Welcome my apprentice Wink...you've discovered some of the truths about the Dark Side. Yes they most certainly are some of the easiest guns to work on. No, changing out the connector alone will not a 4.5# pull appear. If you seek a true 4.5# trigger pull, a very cautious swapping of various springs for ones with lighter tension is usually the next phase. But there's usually a rub with that if you go too far; go whole in on swapping all the available springs and you can compromise the reliability of the firearm...or end up with something considerably less than 4.5 lbs of pull (and significantly less 'safe' as a result). I have a coworker who recently discovered how easy it was to overdo such mods on his FDE G19. Sub 2# trigger with no thumb or grip safety...not a wise result.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LongJohnSilver:
The only way I would own a Glock is if someone gave me one and then I would sell it and put the money towards another Sig.

Says the guy with parrot shit on his shoulder.. Razz

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spdski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
I suppose Merry Christmas to me. Despite my recent foray into 1911s, I simply can't stray too far from the roost. In spite of all the recent frenzied madness I too contribute to this ballistic economic insanity (besides, the boss gave me a discount I just couldn't pass up on). The latest, in Gen4 flavor:

You go out and shoot it yet? My cousin and I just each bought a 34 gen 4. We shot them yesterday. I straight up love and it's my favorite pistol now. So versatile and it just points so well!

Even shooting quite fast and transitioning between different targets everything was on paper at 25 yards and with slow aimed shots we were consistently hitting small targets (like a tree root sticking out of the cliff/berm) at 65+ yards without problem.

Posts: 1273 | Location: Waxahachie, TX | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Good point. My other concern would be a squib if the round does fire the second time.

Anyway, I like both Sig and Glock but prefer Glock. For me, among the things that can go wrong, second strike isn't a deal breaker for me.

Fair 'nuff. Smile

As long as what you carry gives you the confidence, combined with skill and smarts, to survive an encounter that's all that matters.