SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Does a 1911 bobtail retain full size grip?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does a 1911 bobtail retain full size grip? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
A bobtail might make a 1911 better for me. Do these conversions retain full size grip and magazine?

Does CCR do this work? Where else might I send it?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5051 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes, they still use full size magazines, and have a full size grip, just with the rear corner bobbed.

But they do use a modified mainspring housing using the shorter Officer length mainspring. And the location of the mainspring housing pin is a bit different on a bobtail frame/housing.

The rounded corner, pin relocation, and different mainspring and housing are the only differences from a standard Government/Commander 1911.

Posts: 32505 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The rear portion of the grip is reduced, obviously. It is still full length.

Gray Guns does this work, and others, too. I don't know that CCR does gunsmithing and conversion work. Maybe they do.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes, CCR does 1911 bobtail work.

Per http://www.ccrrefinishing.com/pricing.html

quote:
Custom 1911 Work:
Bobtail Installation (Labor) $75
Refinish Frame $79
Ed Brown Bobtail $50

Based on that, it would be $204 total to grind your frame to a bobtail configuration, install an Ed Brown bobtail mainspring housing, and then refinish the frame.

Posts: 32505 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, still a full size grip. I have 2 bobtails.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I suppose I would have to select a pair of VZ Gunner grips too. But it's only money.

-------

Posts: 5051 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. You'd have to install new bobtail grips. Or at least modify your existing grips to incorporate the bobbed corner.

Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I would tread cautiously. Maybe find a buddy who will let you shoot his or maybe try a rental. I've owned a dozen+ 1911s in various sizes and configurations. I like the look of a bobtail, but I don't feel much difference in my hand or carry.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
Why be cautious? The Bob removes a small portion of the grip that is not needed so cannot affect the "feel" of the weapon.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Treading cautiously, am I.

The alternate would be to find a magwell mainspring housing in stainless steel with a less aggressive surface texture, and set this up more for competition.

-------

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Udo:
Why be cautious? The Bob removes a small portion of the grip that is not needed so cannot affect the "feel" of the weapon.

Did mine. I was the first on my block with a Bobtail. I was the first around here with one for sale, too.
It made the gun feel good, rather like a P225. But it also made the gun come up pointing low. I did not want to have to learn a new presentation, so I sold up.

The cute little Wilson EDC X9 handles the same for me.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Udo:

I would think that would depend on the size of your hands, etc..

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Photo Jan 16, 1 58 36 PM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
My S&W Bobtail

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:

The alternate would be to find a magwell mainspring housing in stainless steel with a less aggressive surface texture, and set this up more for competition.

I just meant that I don't feel it differently in my hand nor do I think it prints any differently. I went the other way you mentioned and added a S&A magwell and housing to my Valor.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The printing is definitely better without the normal corner that's there.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rolan, how does the shorter officers grip feel with the bobtail? does it change the feel much?

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvyhawler:
Rolan, how does the shorter officers grip feel with the bobtail? does it change the feel much?

hvyhawler, The grip is full sized. The Bobtail just knocks off the rear so it doesn't print as much.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

posted Hide Post
quote:

That is a way to go also. I believe S+A makes a nice one that I've fondled on a 1911 before. I personally prefer the lined mainspring housings the best. I also have chainlink and like it too, but can't stand anything more aggressive than that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

What kind of texture does the current magwell have? Traditional 25 LPI checkering?

There are magwell mainspring housings with no texture:

Vertical serrations are pretty non-aggressive:

Or something like chain link texture would feel slightly less aggressive than traditional 25 LPI checkering, while still allowing for a good grip.