SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG P220 SAO Elite 10mm at lgs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG P220 SAO Elite 10mm at lgs Login/Join 
posted
Took my first motorcycle ride of the year to my (not so) lgs. Have bought a couple of SAO P226s there in the last few months and have a P320 X-5 on order there currently. In the display case was a P220 Elite SAO in 10mm that has me really intrigued.

Anyone own one of these? Is the trigger as good as the triggers on my P226s? I am considering selling my P226 Legion DA/SA in 9mm as I just don't prefer the DA/SA as I used to in preference to the striker fired P320s and SAO P226s.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in the P220 SAO 10mm as well. Although, I'm not interested in the butt-ugly Hunter model with the cerakote camouflage exterior.

Did this one look like it was new in box? Or was it in the consignment case?

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:
Is the trigger as good as the triggers on my P226s?

If you have a P226 X-Five, no. Any other P226 will be the same or not as good as the P220 10mm.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Billy346:
I'm interested in the P220 SAO 10mm as well. Although, I'm not interested in the butt-ugly Hunter model with the cerakote camouflage exterior.

Did this one look like it was new in box? Or was it in the consignment case?

This was not a 'Hunter' model, and it is new. I don't care for the 'Hunter' model either.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:
Is the trigger as good as the triggers on my P226s?

If you have a P226 X-Five, no. Any other P226 will be the same or not as good as the P220 10mm.

I have a P226RX SAO and a P226 Legion SAO, both with Wolff 17lb mainsprings. Do not have a P226 X-5. If the trigger on the P220 is as good as the triggers on my SAOs I would be very happy with it!

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a P226RX SAO and a P226 Legion SAO, both with Wolff 17lb mainsprings... If the trigger on the P220 is as good as the triggers on my SAOs I would be very happy with it!

Up until the Legion series, the Elite and the Elite Dark were to be considered to be the top of the line P220 on the Sig-Sauer website. You should be able to handle it and try the trigger out first. Let the Sig speak for itself. Then try to put it down and walk away (the last part is the one I have had trouble with Big Grin ).

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:

I have a P226RX SAO and a P226 Legion SAO, both with Wolff 17lb mainsprings... If the trigger on the P220 is as good as the triggers on my SAOs I would be very happy with it!

Up until the Legion series, the Elite and the Elite Dark were to be considered to be the top of the line P220 on the Sig-Sauer website. You should be able to handle it and try the trigger out first. Let the Sig speak for itself. Then try to put it down and walk away (the last part is the one I have had trouble with Big Grin ).

That's kinda what I am afraid of Wink!

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Butt-ugly is right. I was fortunate to snag a Nitron model (SAO) last November, before they became extinct on the new market. Robert Burke gave it his special touch and it shoots very well with a 3 lb trigger. The extra steel really tames down Underwood full power ammo. I am actually more accurate with the higher power ammo than lesser stuff. Splits are not as fast, but it is dead-nuts accurate.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

Butt-ugly is right. I was fortunate to snag a Nitron model (SAO) last November, before they became extinct on the new market. Robert Burke gave it his special touch and it shoots very well with a 3 lb trigger. The extra steel really tames down Underwood full power ammo. I am actually more accurate with the higher power ammo than lesser stuff. Splits are not as fast, but it is dead-nuts accurate.

I used to own a P220ST, all stainless in. 45. I shot that very well, even though it was a DA/SA model. Probably the most accurate pistol I owned at the time. Fit my hand like a glove! Unfortunately it just wasn't reliable, even after a trip back to SIG. Sold it off because I needed the cash.

Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
So what is the deal with the P220 10mm anyways? Are they only making them as a special edition now?

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So what is the deal with the P220 10mm anyways? Are they only making them as a special edition now?

SIG is only showing the camo finish Hunter model in the catalog. Don't know if the pistol I saw is a discontinued model or some kind of limited run.

posted Hide Post
Well, the P220 Elite SAO 10mm isn't there anymore! I. Took another motorcycle ride out to the shop that I had seen the pistol at and bought it. Interestingly enough, although the pistol isn't shown in the SIG catalog the born on date is MArch 30, 2017, so it must still be made.

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Only had a chance to bring it home and clean and lube it.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your new Sig! I was able to come upon a DA/SA two tone with adjustable sights a while back. I'm sure yours will be just what you'd hoped.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
You are going to love it.
If you did not already know the standard 220 .45 magazines work just fine. I have a bunch of the ACT mags and the function just as well as the 10mm mags that came with the gun.
I have read complaints of the ACT mags cracking. I have had no such issues.

I have found the Sig fmj to be the best factory target load when it comes to cost but not being under powered.
I found some S&B for a couple bucks cheaper a box but have not had a chance to shoot any yet to compare.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
You are going to love it.
If you did not already know the standard 220 .45 magazines work just fine. I have a bunch of the ACT mags and the function just as well as the 10mm mags that came with the gun.
I have read complaints of the ACT mags cracking. I have had no such issues.

I have found the Sig fmj to be the best factory target load when it comes to cost but not being under powered.
I found some S&B for a couple bucks cheaper a box but have not had a chance to shoot any yet to compare.

Thanks for the info! I was shooting SIG Elite ammo today, by far the cheapest at the shop where I bought the pistol, by $5 actually. My local Field & Stream has Remington for $35, 100 fps milder than the SIG. I think this is a pistol that I won't be tossing lead downrange a whole lot Razz!