SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My first tupperware holster... I'm impressed...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first tupperware holster... I'm impressed... Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I just purchased my first holster and mag carrier for a gun I'm going to use in my next training class. I bought a Blade Tech classic OWB belt holster and double mag carrier. I didn't have any holster for this gun, and thought it was a good excuse to try one out, vice my normally traditional custom leather rigs for guns that I carry. The other reason is I wanted a very clean, low drag draw for my first dynamic training class, which precluded a new leather rig that would take quite some time to break in. Sure, leather is nice and it looks great, but damn, this holster is super comfortable and with the adjustable tensioners, the gun and mags draw like a dream. Depending on how the class goes with this rig, I think I might be a convert to polymer holsters. The plastic in this brand is not Kydex, it's some kind of polymer/plastic that's very strong, thin but not too thin, but seems thinner than my leather rigs that I would have otherwise ordered for this gun.

So if this rig turns out to be as good as I'm anticipating it to be, hell I might even buy a plastic gun !

So how do you guys see leather vs. kydex vs polymer for holsters ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always been a leather gear guy. Never thought kydex/plastic/polymer was bad, per se, just not my preference. However, I've been using kydex speedloader pouches (I EDC a 642) and have been very impressed with them. Kydex has a lot of advantages over leather, but they're not perfect either. Again, I think it's more preference than anything else. I know I'll likely try a kydex holster in the future.

FWIW, I think the design of the holster is probably more important than the material, but that's just my opinion.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:...I bought a Blade Tech classic OWB belt holster and double mag carrier....The plastic in this brand is not Kydex, it's some kind of polymer/plastic that's very strong, thin but not too thin, but seems thinner than my leather rigs that I would have otherwise ordered for this gun.

I was under the impression that Blade Tech only used two materials for their holsters. The majority, including the Classic OWB, are Kydex, a thermo-molded polymer. Their Revolution line uses an injection molded polymer similar to polyethylene. Where did you get your info on the material used?

You are discovering why Kydex holsters pretty much own the gun games - great adjustable retention, smooth consistent draw, minimal finish erosion and ease of reholstering.

Good luck with your training.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pizza Bob,

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1449 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I like well-made kydex, and the BladeTech OWB is my go-to for a basic holster for any gun. It works extremely well (and qualifies) for just about any competition, and if you like OWB for carry, it works well for that, too. I prefer some leather for carry, either all leather, or the Garrett Industries kydex with leather lining. I am strictly an OWB person.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I tend to like leather for revolvers and kydex for autoloaders. I have a bladetech for my G42 that I like very much. They make some good stuff.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I always wind up back at bladetech it seems. I switched to a "race" style holster after moving to limited division... tried a couple of them... and wound up right back at bladetech. They make a great product and have great customer service. I mainly shoot a 5.4" 2011 style gun. Nobody makes a kydex holster for this length gun. I bought a 5" blade tech and called them. For the cost of shipping they opened the bottom of it up to accommodate a 5.4" gun, shipped it back the next day. Less than a week door to door and came back looking like it was made for a 5.4 in the first place.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have about 6 Blade Tech holsters . As far as I know Blade Tech uses a type of thermal plastic not true Kydex .My kydex holsters seem a lot sturdier than the Blade Tech material .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I like finely crafted leather as much as the next guy, but it can't beat plastic for a combination of rigidity (easy draw/reholstering IWB) and thinness (not adding extra bulk).

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I like finely crafted leather as much as the next guy, but it can't beat plastic for a combination of rigidity (easy draw/reholstering IWB) and thinness (not adding extra bulk).

I agreed with you until my last holster purchase. The Kusiak Leather Minimalist is nothing short of amazing. I have two IWB kydex holsters and the Kusiak for my G43. the Kusiak is significantly thinner, obviously softer, and has a much better clip. I will be purchasing them for all my carry guns.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
It depends on the type of Holster. For OWB I highly prefer a kydex Holster. G Code OSH is my go to Holster. For IWB I much prefer leather. Being that close to the body I prefer a bit of the softness of the leather. I also prefer leather as the leather seems to take my sweat away from the body with the kydex my undershirt always has a wet sweat spot.
I just recently switched to the G43 as my daily carry so I am using an inexpensive kydex Holster that works well just can't wait for my R Grizzle to arrive though I am still about 12 weeks out.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
My favorite holster is a Tulster for my M&P Shield 45.
It is made with Boltaron 4332.
A step up from Kydex.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post