SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock trigger question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock trigger question Login/Join 
posted
I have a very nice Glock 42, been cera-coated in stars and stripes and Cold Bore Customs did a grip reduction. He, CBC, a member here, does a very nice, reasonably priced and pretty quick job if you are thinking about such a thing.

The "old" trigger was just a little light, a "minus," and I stopped at a gun shop and they traded for a 5 lb (not marked + or -) trigger out of a like new but used 42.

Problem was, it was so awful I ordered an Overwatch trigger and had it installed. Got it back today, can't see any difference in the "before" Overwatch trigger and the results with the Overwatch.

I guess I was expecting a nice trigger. But,no, I am pretty disappointed.

This trigger, you start to squeeze and it is almost impossible to pull it through without the sights moving off the target. Reminds me of trying to overcome some bump that is in the way.

I "think" the same connector from before was used when the gunsmith put the trigger in (didn't see one in the package, didn't get the "old" one back with the old trigger).

Other than sell the gun for $350 and take the hit (OUCH!), what do you recommend? And, are the connectors the same for all Glocks or are they specifically made for the full size and the 42/43 Series?

Appreciate any suggestions as I really do like the gun. We originally had the minus trigger removed as it seemed too light for self defense.

I have to use a gunsmith as the neuropathy in my hands prevents me from doing little, precise tasks. But, I can still shoot, so it could be a lot worse.

Bob

Edited: I think I got the answer to my question on sizes, Ebay sells a number of connecorts and they are listed in 43, 42, and fits everything else sizes.

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I would try a detail strip and hit the contact surfaces with polishing compound. If you Youtube .25 cent trigger job, it'll give you a pretty good run down of what surfaces to hit. It takes me about an hour to hand polish the surfaces on a Gen5 and do it right. Gen5 pistols with the ambi develop a hitch where the trigger bar rubs against the ambi slide lock lever. I have found that if I detail the gun and hit it with polishing compound every 5k or so, it keeps the trigger nice and minty fresh. If you can't do the trigger job yourself because of hand issues, you can have your wife, girlfriend, or kid do it for you. Its not a hard job at all.

I know the 42/43 triggers are a little less than desirable, but I would sure give that a try before giving up.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
You're spending a lot of money on this gun.
Can you have the gun store put the original trigger back in the gun?
1) Overwatch trigger is $165 plus install. Was this the correct trigger ( Glock 42)
2) Whoever put the Overwatch trigger in-have them put in a 3.5 disconnector or as JJones said polish up the existing disconnector with some flitz. Overwatch trigger pairs better with the Glock minus connector.
This Glock 42 is turning into a money pit.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
42/43 connectors are unique to those models and are well worth the price.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:
I have a very nice Glock 42, been cera-coated in stars and stripes and Cold Bore Customs did a grip reduction. He, CBC, a member here, does a very nice, reasonably priced and pretty quick job if you are thinking about such a thing.

The "old" trigger was just a little light, a "minus," and I stopped at a gun shop and they traded for a 5 lb (not marked + or -) trigger out of a like new but used 42.

Problem was, it was so awful I ordered an Overwatch trigger and had it installed. Got it back today, can't see any difference in the "before" Overwatch trigger and the results with the Overwatch.

I guess I was expecting a nice trigger. But,no, I am pretty disappointed.

This trigger, you start to squeeze and it is almost impossible to pull it through without the sights moving off the target. Reminds me of trying to overcome some bump that is in the way.

I "think" the same connector from before was used when the gunsmith put the trigger in (didn't see one in the package, didn't get the "old" one back with the old trigger).

Other than sell the gun for $350 and take the hit (OUCH!), what do you recommend? And, are the connectors the same for all Glocks or are they specifically made for the full size and the 42/43 Series?

Appreciate any suggestions as I really do like the gun. We originally had the minus trigger removed as it seemed too light for self defense.

I have to use a gunsmith as the neuropathy in my hands prevents me from doing little, precise tasks. But, I can still shoot, so it could be a lot worse.

Bob

Edited: I think I got the answer to my question on sizes, Ebay sells a number of connecorts and they are listed in 43, 42, and fits everything else sizes.

Sorry to say, but volunteering for the "unmarked" G42 connector was a mistake.
Get that "Minus" marked connector back from that gunsmith !

You see, Glock issued the G42, G43 with that unmarked connector.
Field reports came pouring in about the horrible G42, G43 triggers.
Glock developed that minus connector to fix this issue.
Now you are infected with this "issue".

The Overwatch trigger is an excellent trigger.
It has NOTHING to do with your with your current, unsatisfactory trigger.
Get that MINUS connector back in there !

I've scratch-built Glocks and I have my wife's G43 set up with the Overwatch trigger and factory Minus connector.
It's a nice rig set up that way.

Final thoughts:
If you can get the Minus connector re-installed and the trigger pull weight is too light do this :
Get an "extra-power" striker spring installed.
This will increase pull weight but will not interfere with trigger "break quality".
Wolff (Gunsprings) has a 6lb striker spring.

Link to Wolff 6.0lb striker spring :
Part #32247
https://www.gunsprings.com/GLO...cID1/mID5/dID116#131

Link to G43 Minus Connector :
Part #33564
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GLOCK...c:g:IhQAAOSw9rtdNu1N

Ebay is often lowest cost for small parts.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Putting an overwatch trigger in the pistol will have no effect on the trigger pull: it uses the stock, Glock factory trigger bar. What you're getting is their trigger shoe, attached to a factory trigger bar. The only change is what you feel on the pad of your finger, but it does nothing to change the geometry of the trigger, or lighten or smooth the pull.

Change the connector.

Clean all the parts. Lubricate. Glock says oil, I use grease, and always have.

Consider a Ghost connector. I just put two in a G43X and G48, both the pro model with an overtravel feature (requires light file work on the installer's part). Well worth it.

A little polishing goes a long way in making a nice trigger and action in a Glock. So does a little lubrication.

The striker safety block edges and interface with the trigger bar, is a course of grit and interference, most often felt in the trigger pull. Smooth those carefully and polish them, and you'll see considerable improvement.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of you guys called this G42 a "money pit" and I agree. But I am so far in I either gotta sell it and take a huge hit or get it fixed.

I like the gun and it was pretty easy to slip farther and farther ....

OK-here's the issue I need advice on: (the trigger I traded in is long gone to some other buyer in that used gun). So-do I have the current connecter polished, or buy a minus connector, Ghost or OEM and go from there. Don't know anyone with the parts locally, so I'd just order the new connecter.

I like the feel of the Overwatch trigger, so I am inclined to keep it and have the connecter I have polished or buy a different connecter.

Thanks,

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
Polish the internals by hand (q-tip, not dremel) as suggested. The outcome is worth the effort. Do that before changing out the connector.

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep the overwatch trigger. I have them in several pistols (including a G43 which I've carried quite a bit: it's a big improvement over the original serrated plastic trigger shoe).

At a minimum, put the minus connector in there.

When I got my G43, Glock didn't have a minus connector for that pistol, and the trigger was terrible. The minus connector was a big improvement. It can be improved even further.

The Ghost connector will make a significant improvement.

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
The Overwatch Precision Falx trigger was designed out of the desire to bring the performance advantages of our flat-faced trigger to shooters who either prefer a curved face, or who shoot with more finger inside the trigger guard. We've carved the Falx out of 7075-T6 Billet, hardcoat anodized it, and pinned it to an NP3 plated OEM trigger bar. It drops right in and is ready to rock in less than 5 minutes.
Pre-travel has been reduced by as much as 20% (depending on frame tolerances) without compromising firearm safety features, resulting in a clean, crisp break, and reduced overtravel. The addition of this trigger alone does not change the pull weight but when combined with our competition trigger spring and Glock OEM minus connector you can expect a reduction in trigger pull weight of one half to one full pound. Please note that we do not tune the trigger bar.
This is straight from Overwatch…. Need the Glock OEM minus connector.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK-here's the issue I need advice on: (the trigger I traded in is long gone to some other buyer in that used gun).

Forget that original trigger.
G42 ships with a crappy trigger "shoe" and your current Overwatch trigger is a big improvement.

quote:
]So-do I have the current connecter polished or buy a minus connector, Ghost or OEM and go from there. Don't know anyone with the parts locally, so I'd just order the new connecter.

Jesus, forget the polishing !
If you can get the right parts in there, you won't be polishing anything.

quote:
I like the feel of the Overwatch trigger, so I am inclined to keep it and have the connecter I have polished or buy a different connecter.

For the third time, the Overwatch trigger is a great improvement over the issued G42 trigger.
KEEP IT.
Again forget the polishing ! You don't polish anything to get the trigger pull weight that you want.
I wish that "polishing" seed was not planted.
And please get that Minus connector back in there.

Please read my post above with the two links in it.
I took the time to craft that for you.
Everything you need to know to fix this is in that post.

DD
Who knows a little about Glock internals and Glock tuning.

posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the answers to my questions. If my hands would let me, I'd try polishing the stuff myself, but I know how that would turn out and it'd be a trip to the gunsmith with all of it in a bag.

So I'm gonna do the minus connector. Making an order in a few minutes (time enough for someone to post "Wait a minute , you idjit, I got a better answer).

Gonna try the OEM and maybe, later, order the Ghost.

I am serious when I say Thanks to all of you.

Bob

EDIT

Okay, No "Hey Idjit" responses, so I ordered an OEM minus trigger (thanks for the link DD, and we'll see how that works.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Okay, No "Hey Idjit" responses, so I ordered an OEM minus trigger (thanks for the link DD, and we'll see how that works.

That's the Minus Connector.
It will reduce your trigger pull weight.
Try it without polishing anything.
Hopefully, that will take of it and give you the pull weight that you want.

If it doesn't, post back.
These are easy pistols to tune.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, DD.

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Curious. You said at one point the trigger felt too light. Just how light was it? I ask because it's pretty hard to get a 42 or 43 under 5 lbs using factory connectors or even most aftermarket connectors, and 5-6 lbs should be fine for a defense gun. Of course this is a personal thing, but Glock advertises most of their off the self guns to be in that range. G42 listed as 5.4 lbs although I'm pretty sure it's a bit heavier than advertised when it's brand new. Maybe after a couple thousand rounds to might smooth out to the lower pull weight but I doubt a stock G42 would get to less that 5.4 lbs. More like 6.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never measured the trigger weight, but it felt so much lighter than any other Glock I'd ever had that I became concerned especially for my wife using it for self defense.

That's why we decided to up the weight of the pull with a plain connecter (not marked + or -). Sadly we upped it to a big speedbump when trying to shoot it.

I've shot it a lot, probably a thousand rounds, maybe more and it was slightly used when I bought it from a friend.

Bob

posted Hide Post
My answer with glocks has always been pull out of box and run it. Tinkering ( as you have discovered ) is a waste of time and money.
Silk purse sows esr analogy they are what they are accept it and carry on or go to a different platform

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never measured the trigger weight, but it felt so much lighter than any other Glock I'd ever had that I became concerned especially for my wife using it for self defense.

That's why we decided to up the weight of the pull with a plain connecter (not marked + or -). Sadly we upped it to a big speedbump when trying to shoot it.

I've shot it a lot, probably a thousand rounds, maybe more and it was slightly used when I bought it from a friend.

Bob

If the trigger feels that much lighter, it may be a combination of things. If you're concerned that it's too light, you may want to check the trigger return spring for a competition spring. A competition trigger return spring is a heavier spring, and results in a lighter trigger.

As an aside a common error in pistols, which creates a malfunction usually, but also creates trigger issues, is a trigger return spring that's not oriented correctly, especially rotated in place.

posted Hide Post
We shoulda done that-at least checked the whole thing over to make sure someone hadn't monkeyed with it. But we just changed the connector. It worked, just had an awful pull.

BTW, I already had all that money in the grip reduction and cera-coat or I'da just taken the hit and traded or sold it.

So, a few more (hundred?) bucks-maybe it'll be a collector piece.

posted Hide Post
A spring should be about three dollars. A minus connector about ten. A ghost connector about 25, depending on which one.

The Overwatch trigger is just a factory trigger bar. That's it. Some are coated, some aren't. I've had them direct from the factory, sitting down in their office, and have discussed it with them (nice folks). They'll reuse your own trigger bar...it's their trigger shoe that you're paying for, and while they are definitely more comfortable than the factory plastic serrated trigger shoe.

The G42 has a history of being one of the Glocks that Glock didn't necessarily get right. The problems you're describing, however, sound more like a parts combination issue.

With my previous reply, I'd lost track of it being a G42. Disregard comments about the competition spring as a factor. It doesn't apply here.

You also have the option of sending the pistol to Glock to reburbish. They'll remove any aftermarket parts and send them back to you in a baggie.