SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Battleworn Red... Ugly? Interesting? Whaddaya Think?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battleworn Red... Ugly? Interesting? Whaddaya Think? Login/Join 
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
Looks like a toy. All it needs is an orange safety tip.

If someone likes it and will shoot it, more power to him. But it's not for me.

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
No...just plain "no".

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate that. I have seen what I consider tasteful “battleworn” or distressed finishes that look good. That don’t look like toys or props. For example I have gotten on a Dan Wesson kick lately. They sell a worn finish model of their Valor I believe. It looks wonderful. Everyone’s cup of tea? No.

I guess I don’t mind a worn look but it takes skill to accomplish that and not look childish in the attempt. But red battleworn is horrible. Run away. Lol

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I don't mind wear, but I do have a strong preference that it be authentic.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...bring it to a Clint Smith pistol class, and you'll know the answer real quick! *please video his reaction when he sees it!

Posts: 198 | Location: SE Louisiana  | Registered: August 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Ugly to me, but those Springers are good guns.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
It looks like one of those furniture "antiquing kits" which was used back in the day to refinish really crappy furniture with a crappier looking fake "antique" distressed finish Wink

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
It'd be rad with my Deadpool costume.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
That's pretty stinking ugly. But just my opinion.

Actually no, that opinion seems to be shared by a few of us.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7489 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That's nasty. I don't get the "Battleworn" finish period, but that red is extra bad. Not only do I think it's ugly, but I also think it's a safety issue in that if it ever gets left out a kid or some other ill-informed individual could easily assume it's a toy and bad stuff could ensue.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Ugly and stupid.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
Here is a battle worn finish I like. . .

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
"Battleworn safe queen". Ironic.

$3800 for a fake worn Nighthawk that has a 99% chance of never seeing the outside of a safe or padded pistol rug, because the owner will likely be paranoid about it ever getting even the slightest hint of real wear.

Roll Eyes

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
It'd be rad with my Deadpool costume.

Deadpool is what I was thinking as well.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand that gun sales aren't booming. I get that in a crowded market of relatively similar products, manufacturers look for ways to distinguish their products from others -- and to provide a reason for some consumers to purchase their products. This is just Marketing 101, maybe 01.

The whole battleworn thing just seems odd to me. I use many of my firearms in practice, training, and competition. They have dings, scratches, and wear marks -- not hideous finish blems, but enough that anyone with a clue knows they aren't straight from the original wrapping.

For whatever reason, some parts of our society feel "worn-in" is the in thing. Earlier here I used the analogy of torn/faded/ripped jeans. I honestly don't get that. I grew up working physical jobs outside -- lumber yard and ranch duties. I really liked those new deep-indigo-blue Levis jeans, stiff as a brick. When my jeans developed holes, I tossed them. I didn't want splinters, scrapes, or pokes on bare skin. I earned the holes in jeans and denim jackets from physical labor.

IMO some people in our society are averse to physical activity, hard work, and extended challenges. It's probably easier to put in some overtime at a desk than getting dusty and sweaty. We all have our special capabilities and priorities, and I have no issues here.

But trying to buy the image of honest wear and tear is just lame. I cannot say it any more clearly, or soften the tone. It's sad, it's trendy, and it's a poor statement on people. I fear that this "thing" will have come full circle if/when Ford offers pre-worn F250s from the factory -- complete with grill scratches, dents in the bed, mud on the fenders, and cow shit embedded in the tire treads.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

$3800 for a fake worn Nighthawk that has a 99% chance of never seeing the outside of a safe or padded pistol rug, because the owner will likely be paranoid about it ever getting even the slightest hint of real wear.

Roll Eyes
I second the motion.

Want battle worn? Put some work in.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
It looks like a 'fork ready' lobster.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Roll Eyes
I second the motion.

Razz I do like the look of the pistol, but how do you afford the ammo to put real wear'n'tear on the pistol once you've spent $3,800 on the pistol itself?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Yep.

If you want a nice worn 1911 for $3800, buy a blued Dan Wesson, pick up a quality leather holster, some spare mags, and some replacement springs, and spend the remainder on 10,000 rounds of ammo.

Then go hit the range to burn through all that ammo doing drills to make your own wear.

You'll have a quality 1911 with a nicely worn finish from actual honest wear, plus the skills to back it up.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
I don't mind wear, but I do have a strong preference that it be authentic.

Nice, but I don't want guns that have the brand name of my favorite prophylactic either. Big Grin

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post