SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Battleworn Red... Ugly? Interesting? Whaddaya Think?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battleworn Red... Ugly? Interesting? Whaddaya Think? Login/Join 
posted
No. It’s not mine. It’s available but I’m not sure if I want the deal.

Reportedly, these XDs are good pistols. (This is the XD-9, Mod. 2, 4” bbl.)

I have no doubt they are a proven design, based on the reviews I’ve read.
I’m just not sure about any handgun that isn’t stainless, blued, or black.

Former US Army, Sgt., 82nd Abn. Div. Paratrooper,
Infantryman, (81mm Mortars) Certified Armorer

Love God, Country, & Family

Posts: 89 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm torn. On one hand it looks like a laser tag gun. On the other hand I actually kind of like it, as it's different and does look cool. However, resale could be tougher.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
My son would love it.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
My son would love it.

I had the same thought. Plus, my son has an XD, now. I’m not sure which specific model, but I do know it’s not battleworn Red.

Former US Army, Sgt., 82nd Abn. Div. Paratrooper,
Infantryman, (81mm Mortars) Certified Armorer

Love God, Country, & Family

Posts: 89 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s not as much as the red as it is the whole sold by SA Inc.

They’ll have to do a major overhaul of ownership/management for me to buy an SA Inc product.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Faded jeans look for firearms. Dumb.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Lame

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grip zone? Will it fade to pussy pink over time?
Nope. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want a firearm to look worn, carry it a lot and shoot it a lot.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jman78
posted Hide Post
I don't get the "worn" look.

First you pay to screw up a usually nice looking gun, then your choice is to make it look 10 times worse than it was originally ? Roll Eyes

Like i said... I don't get it.

Patina is earned through time and usage.

Such as this.

Posts: 178 | Location: St. Petersburg FLorida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Obviously, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. However, my own inclination is not to mix bang with bling.

I'm also certain that anybody that has actually been in combat (not me) won't be impressed with fake "battle worn".

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This gun reminds me of the time when may 16 year old daughter who was visiting my elderly mother (in her late 80's at the time). My daughter was wearing those "in fashion" jeans with artificial rips tears, and fading. My mother stated "and they sell them that way?".

Even as a child of the depression, she would never be seen wearing jeans in that condition.

I feel much the same way about this look on guns. Red just makes it worse.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0658:
This gun reminds me of the time when may 16 year old daughter who was visiting my elderly mother (in her late 80's at the time). My daughter was wearing those "in fashion" jeans with artificial rips tears, and fading. My mother stated "and they sell them that way?".

Even as a child of the depression, she would never be seen wearing jeans in that condition.

I feel much the same way about this look on guns. Red just makes it worse.

Bingo.
The people who buy the ripped jeans are the ones who buy the battleworn pistols.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

Bingo.
The people who buy the ripped jeans are the ones who buy the battleworn pistols.

To each their own. Nothing wrong with someone taking a $250 pistol and making something different out of it.

People are too stuck on the term "battleworn". People customize their guns all the time. You see people cerakote guns all the time. Paint them, whatever.

People who buy ripped jeans are the same people who cerakote their guns? Customize their guns? Paint their guns? That analogy is pretty broad and pretty flawed IMO.

Personally, not my style, but if it was cheap enough, I'd pick it up just to have something different.

I know I have more than one thing my safe that I picked up just cause it is different. Nothing wrong with it.

Again, not my style, but heck, if a battleworn red pistol brings some 21 YO gamer (or anyone else) into the firearm world, gets them off the couch and to a range, why not?

Posts: 759 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hideous. Of additional note, the one and only XD I ever had the unfortunate experience of trying still stands as the worst pistol I've ever shot.

At least for me, the common theme of people I know who are / were interested in XD's is the presence of all the various extra safeties. They also happened to be people who did not have confidence in safe firearm handling.

Posts: 342 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something I noticed among many of the FOB dwellers in both Iraq and Afghanistan was the stripping of finish on Beretta pistols. Military Berettas are worn and beaten up, without question, simply by virtue of having been around forever and a bit too long. But the pistols were frequently issued for carry on bases, and the bearers often polished or scrubbed nearly all the finish off. It was especially so in certain places in Iraq. Aside from wrecking the protective features of the finish in the metal, it looked stupid...but it was "trendy" to make the pistols look so worn that all the finish was gone. I never understood it.

Guys who did have to cross the wire and go out in the field touched up the finish on weapons to make them less observable, and there lay the difference.

Some want to show their pistols off, some would prefer they don't be seen until they're needed.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
That's pretty stinking ugly. But just my opinion.

Some Battleworn finishes can look pretty neat. That ones a "No" from me.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I ger a lot of people like to do interesting coloring for their guns...I'm just not sure this is a good idea. It looks more like a toy. Just because we can do something doesn't necessarily mean we should do it.

To each their own, just my two cents.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I think it's kinda neat.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Which country or branch of service uses RED firearms? Of those, how many actually have been in battle?

I'm thinking the answer is NONE, but I could be wrong.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post