SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    DAK Consensus ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DAK Consensus ? Login/Join 
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
SIG also reportedly has discontinued the popular P239. A business decision does not necessarily reflect "consensus" except by company bean counters.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard from a Sig rep that the models that were "discontinued" this year are just temporarily out of production to ramp up 320 and 365 model production. I hope that is accurate because the p239 is on my short list.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 00464b
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cous2492:
I heard from a Sig rep that the models that were "discontinued" this year are just temporarily out of production to ramp up 320 and 365 model production. I hope that is accurate because the p239 is on my short list.

That would be sweet. I'd love to get a P239 SAS in 9mm. Just been hesitant because of it being discontinued and lack of replacement parts availability. Wish that your news could be confirmed.

Posts: 658 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: July 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 00464b:
Just been hesitant because of it being discontinued and lack of replacement parts availability.

For whatever it’s worth, that’s not something I worry too much about with my collection of DAK models. Most of the DAK-specific parts are unlikely to fail or require replacement. I do have spares for the mainsprings and sear springs, and they’re still available (the last time I checked) from Top Gun Supply. In a pinch, the DA/SA sear spring would be usable.

The only other part I might be worried about would be the trigger bar, but failures of Classic line trigger bars are very rare based on what I’ve seen here. I wouldn’t expect the DAK versions to be any more susceptible. To have some insurance, though, we could add that part to our spares as well (somewhat expensive, though).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just converted my P239 9mm to DAK. The main reason I did was because I also EDC H&K pistols with LEM triggers and want a standard MOA. So far I find the DAK fairly easy to learn. I did dry fire, then to the range. Was as accurate immediately as I had been the my DA/SA, which quite surprised me. Follow up shots are definitely a little bit slower compared to my SF or LEM pistols. I suspect that difference will reduce as I get more experience on my DAK. I tried the short stroke shot mode, and though I could feel the increase pull weight, it was WAY less than I expected to perceive.

I really love my LEM triggers and not sure the DAK will ever surpass it, but believe with practice it will become a great shooter for me.

Posts: 68 | Location: Great State of Jefferson (Nor CA) | Registered: December 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Agency issues P229R DAKs and I carried one for 6 years.

The positives of the DAK are it is a shorter lighter trigger pull than a DAO and you have the advantage of only having one trigger pull to learn. You also don’t have to worry about decocking as with TDA Guns.

The downside of the DAK is slower split times than a strker fired gun or a TDA gun in the hands of s skilled TDA shooter.

TDA Guns can be run VERY well but it requires an investment of 20-30% more training time than a striker gun to achieve thise results.

For most institutional users or users who are not training (vs plinking) on a regular basis the DAK is a good choice.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried DA/SA SIGs after retiring from the Army in 1981 until the DAK system came about. From that time on DAK has been my preference. I do like the P320 but it never replaced my P220DAK. I've owned a bunch over the years but now I'm down to two. The P220 and P239 (both still available thru SIG IOP sales.) I have to admit I bought into the P365 look see and really like mine. My P239 has been sitting in the safe more and more lately. My current three guns will outlast me.

P239
M11-A1
340 M&P

Posts: 552 | Location: Okla | Registered: August 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I almost did the same thing but I figured the 365 doesn't bring anything to the table. It's an 11 round gun and my 239 is a 10 round gun so I only gain one round. Wasn't worth it to me because I'd have to invest in new holsters and mag carriers etc.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own and shoot regularly with both actions. For target shooting I prefer the DA/SA in SA mode; however, having learned to shoot in my youth almost exclusively with S & W revolvers in DA mode, I prefer the DAK trigger for double taps inside 20 yards. --c

Posts: 63 | Registered: December 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own several SA/DA Sigs, but several years ago I bought both the 229 DAK/SAS and the 239 DAK/SAS models. My every-day carry is the 239 DAK/SAS.
I like the less likely chance of an unintended discharge with the DAK setup.

Posts: 248 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The DAK is my favorite trigger model. It's the best balance between safety and shootability I have found. The exposed hammer allows you to thumb it when holstering and the longer pull gives an extra level of safety if you screw up.

The problem for me is that Sig never put the DAK into a lightweight/compact package like the P250. In addition the the trigger type dying off it might be hard to find guns. Sigs current QC and other issues is another reason I'm not quick to pick one up. This is not said to start a debate or to bash SIG, but to explain why I don't carry my favorite trigger system.

The DAK pull feels the same throughout to me. The HK LEM is a great trigger system but it just didn't work for me. While different triggers, the LEM is a lighter DAO style trigger that can be found in a variety of pistol sizes.

Posts: 525 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Love the DAK on my .40 229.

If you come from a revolver background or just like shooting an N frame it will be similar. It's not as smooth as a broken in K frame. More like a Security Six.

It's slower than a Glock as someone else said but then again so is anything else except for a .45 Auto but that said, it's smooth and easy to use. I like it a lot and wish a CPO 239 DAK in 9 were to be found.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Love the DAK on my .40 229.

If you come from a revolver background or just like shooting an N frame it will be similar.

Arrrrrgggg … "Just like an N Frame?"

AimSurplus needs to give you a sales commission, Flashlightboy.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Sigs is DAK; P239, P229 and P226. Personally, I love the DAK system.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
DAK seems to stoke strong feelings for some reason, but most of the folks I've trained or instructed that hate it, simply didn't understand it.

As others have said, it's a Classic P-Series Sig with a traditional trigger that has the same pull every time. Simple.

I've been carrying a DAK everyday since 2006 or so and love it. I've got two old duty guns I bought from my agency, a P229 and a P239, and both have a hairy ape's ass worth of ammo fired through 'em and the pull is just fine. In fact, I've found that DAK tends to 'shoot in' pretty well and get smoother the more you use it.

I think someone already said DAK is basically the closest thing you can get to a revolver trigger in a semi-auto and I tend to agree.

Like any system, you'll get use to what you use consistently. Humans have an amazing ability to adapt to whatever they use, so the DAK is no worse or better than DA/SA or a Poly-Striker.

I like it because I grew up on revolvers so it's a simple transition as it has a 'same pull first and last' trigger, it 'shoots in' well and finally, it doesn't have the crunchy, plastic and (at times) far too-light pull of certain plastic disposable Tupperware warrior pieces.

The only change I might suggest is if the P220 has a MIM trigger, swap it for a Gray Guns steel trigger. It really does make a big difference and will give even more of revolver feel. Cheers!

Posts: 794 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I brought my first last Spring, a P229 .40 cal and quickly added a .357 Sig barrel. I really like it a lot ... the price of .357 Sig ammo - not so much. But that's for a different thread.

I like the DAK platform so much that I'm looking for another gun in the DAK platform. Definitely 9MM. Either a 226, 229, or 239. That last part I haven't yet figured out.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried a 229 DAK .40 caliber for about ten years as a duty weapon as well as on our weapons team. Easy to instruct on, east to maintain, accurate as a laser, and dependable. What's not to like? The ONLY reason I transitioned from the 229 DAK is that our Chief (finally) authorized the 1911 platform.

The 229 DAK is GTG!

Posts: 81 | Location: SW PA USA | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loved DAK, immediately, adopting it as soon as I could find one available for sale, in late 2004. Long-stroke DA is my best either-hand trigger system, and SIG DAK mimics a nice S&W K/L trigger quite well.

I was so glad to dump my G22 duty pistols. I could never shoot them as well as other duty-type pistols I had used.

I shot my DAKs revolver-style, allowing for the full reset to occur. I saw no point in learning the shorter reset, as I was still using DA revolvers, for serious purposes, including SP101 snub-guns for back-up/secondary, and GP100 sixguns for long-range situations, and did not want to throw any wrenches into the works.

Things got bad, however, in 2011, at age fifty, when .40 muzzle flip became a problem, for my aging right wrist. .40 S&W was my mandated duty cartridge. Fortunately, because DAK is so much like a K/L trigger, my S&W 17-4, firing .22 LR, served well, for most of my training.

When 9mm became an approved alternative duty cartridge, in 2015, I decided to transition to a Gen4 G17, retiring my P229R DAK. (Gen4 fit me much better than Gen3.) I could have sourced a 9mm DAK, to finish my LE career, but there was a rumor that I would be able to start carrying a 1911 duty pistol again, and in 2016, that became a reality. At retirement, I was qual’ed with 9mm Glocks, and .45 1911 Les Baers.

I might have stayed with SIG DAK, had SIG made heavier all-stainless-steel DAK pistols, or made stainless frames that could be readily converted to DAK, to better damp recoil effects, but neither event happened.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
This all-stainless 357/40 P226 started life before the introduction of the DAK system, but was converted by Grayguns.

This is a 9mm all stainless that was reportedly an RCMP contract overrun.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
This all-stainless 357/40 P226 started life before the introduction of the DAK system, but was converted by Grayguns.

How long did this take? I have a 226ST in 357...

quote:
This is a 9mm all stainless that was reportedly an RCMP contract overrun.

If you ever need a kidney, let me know.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post