SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig 228 DAO is it worth it to add a decocker.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 228 DAO is it worth it to add a decocker. Login/Join 
posted
I picked up a used 228 DAO a few years ago for a very good price. I ran a few rounds through it cleaned it and put it in the safe. I bring it out from time to time and run a few rounds through it and back in the safe it goes, I was wondering if it would be worth converting it away from the DA0 and how hard it would be to do. Any thoughts would be appreciated. PS: I really like to have a decocker, cant say why actually.

Posts: 170 | Registered: March 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only worth it if you really want to be able to shoot it single action...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
To convert to double action/single action, you would need the decocker assembly (lever, bearing, spring) and a DA/SA hammer.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
If you decide to convert it, I'd recommend you consider the SRT kit as well. The short reset helps you get the most out of the DA/SA trigger on the P-series. I love them...have one in each of mine.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you’re looking for. Two different trigger pulls.

Posts: 532 | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If you are more comfortable with a DA/SA gun then it is well worth converting.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I only do something like that if I really want it and don't really worry about the value or cost part. I don't look at a gun as any sort of investment. Not to say you don't get lucky by accident at times.
Also look at the cost of buying one already in that configuration unless that particular gun has some sentimental value to you.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think there is value in having a pistol with a simple manual of arms available.

In case of injury to your strong hand there are less controls to manipulate with the weak hand.

In case of emergency that same pistol could be used to arm a trusted person more familiar with a revolver.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bigguy,

Posts: 362 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Not exactly inexpensive to do, but to me it would be worth it. Whether DA/SA, or single action only like 1911s etc., having SA capability is of value to me in a semi-automatic pistol. I've owned traditional DA/SA P series SIGs since the '80s, and wish the SRT 92fstech mentioned had been standard on SIGs from the first.

Matrix has a conversion kit, and I'd imagine Top Gun Supply also has either the kit, or the parts needed available separately to do the conversion.

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's worth it. Many years ago I purchased a DAO 228. The DAO trigger pull on the SIG was noticeably heavier than my S&W 3913 and interestingly my S&W 686 revolver. Initially I installed a SIG Short trigger on it and it made the trigger pull more managable.

I had the DAO swapped to a DA/SA and noticed a significant improvement in the trigger, to the point that I removed the short trigger and replaced it with a standard trigger.

I acknowledge that trigger pull preferences are very personal and also vary by pistol so YMV.

Another TTP to improve DA trigger pull I have heard is to use a 19 pound hammer spring instead of the stock 20+ pounder. I recently installed one in a SIG 229 ICW a Gray Guns SRT kit. It definately changed the feel of the trigger pull, but my trigger pull gauge didn't show a difference (could be bad gauge). I don't have enough trigger time on the new configuration to vouch for the 19lb spring personally, but I trust Bruce Gray completely.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just keep parts to go back to original configuration.

Posts: 54 | Registered: February 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just converted my 239 it's easy to do I also just installed the SRT kit in my 228 it's great I would do both . Just my 2 cents

Posts: 120 | Location: New York | Registered: April 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a police trade-in P228 a few years back that was DAO. I originally wanted to keep it that way as a training gun to help practice double action shots....got tired of that and converted it to DA/SA after 2 months.

It was a simple operation after getting the Sig Armorer DVD from Top Gun Supply.

Posts: 977 | Location: Upstate South Carolina | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, for the reply's yall given me some good info as usual.

Posts: 170 | Registered: March 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
To convert to double action/single action, you would need the decocker assembly (lever, bearing, spring) and a DA/SA hammer.

And maybe the left grip panel as well. On some Sig FACTORY DAO's, the left panel was not cut out inside for the decock lever. The outside cutout was there, but not on the inside. There was a thread on this subject here years ago, and some doubted this who had never seen a factory DAO, but I posted pictures to clear it up.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
I posted pictures to clear it up.

Do you still have the photos? I don’t recall ever seeing anything like that and I’ve always had a special interest in DAO models.

Some time after the DAK trigger system was introduced SIG offered a “slim” grip set for the DAK P229, and that would have probably fit the P228 as far as I know. The left side panel was odd in that at first glance it appeared to have the decocker cuts, but there wasn’t room under the panel for the decocker.

I have a set myself, but it was available for only a short time and I never saw the grip except for the set I ordered. It’s within the realm of possibility that a DAO P228 might have been fitted with the DAK P229 slim grip panels, but extremely unlikely.

I would be curious to know if your photos are of the same type of grip.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
I posted pictures to clear it up.

Do you still have the photos? I don’t recall ever seeing anything like that and I’ve always had a special interest in DAO models.

Some time after the DAK trigger system was introduced SIG offered a “slim” grip set for the DAK P229, and that would have probably fit the P228 as far as I know. The left side panel was odd in that at first glance it appeared to have the decocker cuts, but there wasn’t room under the panel for the decocker.

I have a set myself, but it was available for only a short time and I never saw the grip except for the set I ordered. It’s within the realm of possibility that a DAO P228 might have been fitted with the DAK P229 slim grip panels, but extremely unlikely.

I would be curious to know if your photos are of the same type of grip.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread, I've been traveling. Will look for the pics, they are several years old. Someone on the forum wanted to buy those grips form me after I posted pics, and offered to pay plus give me a set of stand ones with the inside cutout. I declined, but later did sell the gun (and grips) to someone on this forum in the classifieds. If you had tried to use those grips on a DA/SA model, when you tightened them down it would have put the decocker in such a bind it would not have worked.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Well, I have found those pictures, but in the meantime my pic hosting sight Picturetrail has closed, so I have no way of putting them on here. Same reason my avatar of many years has disappeared. I could email them to someone, if interested.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I would be interested, if you please. My email address is in my profile.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

I started with nothing,
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would be interested, if you please. My email address is in my profile.

Pictures sent, feel free to post them here if you desire.