SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    'REGULAR" (NON - Target) Grips for U.S Made P210A - UPDATES in This Thread
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'REGULAR" (NON - Target) Grips for U.S Made P210A - UPDATES in This Thread Login/Join 
Picture of BullBarrel
posted
I read on several SIG forums and SIG Facebook pages that many folks would prefer their P210As with 'traditional' non target grips. I just acquired a second P210A today that was pre-owned and at a price I could not refuse so I figured - it will be perfect candidate for developing of new grips, new base pads, a solid red dot adapter that will simply and easily replace the rear sight .....and various other cool 'P210A" tweaks.

This pertains to US made P210s only.

Moving along pretty good with planning and sketches and hope to have a prototype for grips done in a few weeks.

Although the first version will be made out of G10 and most likely will have a more modern-ish checkering - once the base mold in drawn CAD/Solid Works - I am must admit - I am VERY tempted to whip out a few classic looking sets in wood....AAAND the original P49 pattern (or checkering)

Nothing to get overly exited as far as these 2 pictures go. Just a little Photoshop work to see what a regular set of grips would look like on a P210A. (and since I am such sucker for the old P49s, I decided to use the original grips for this exercise).

I am curious as to what other P210A owners like.
- completely flat grips
- a 'VERY' gentle palm swell similar to Nill (NON Target grips)
- G10 vs wood?
- modern checkering vs. original groves

It will be a fun project nevertheless.....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BullBarrel,

Posts: 184 | Registered: April 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
G10 Checkered, please.
The photoshopped wood one on the gun right now just doesn't look right for it. Sorry, but that's how I see it.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BullBarrel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
G10 Checkered, please.
The photoshopped wood one on the gun right now just doesn't look right for it. Sorry, but that's how I see it.

You do not like the P49 old texture or you do not like 'wood' on this particular P210? As I mentioned - G10s will be first anyway and I will make wood just as a side personal project.

I am more interested to hear what other attributes people like or dislike (G10 is a gimme so that's a non-issue Wink )

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I simply don't like the pattern.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BullBarrel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I simply don't like the pattern.

Ah ok, reading you original reply I thought you just disliked the 'wood' and were interested only on G10.

.... since I wrote anyway:

".....although the first version will be made out of G10 and most likely will have a more modern - ish checkering....."

This is just a first sketch/mock-up.....I would be curious as what others guys like/envision.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BullBarrel,

posted Hide Post
I like them just as you designed them They look very traditional, much like the original P210. If I had one, I would consider those grips.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
I have a nice new SIG P210A as that I would very much like some non-target grips for.

I would prefer checkering on "field" grips. Although true to the look of the military version of the P210, the grooves look a little too utilitarian for me. The P210A finish needs something more refined IMHO.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm up for a set, I've got to replace those target grips.
I just don't like them.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 368 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be very interested in a set. I'd prefer wood, but I'll buy anything at this point. The current grips don't fit my daughter's hands and I've been really surprised that no one has yet jumped into this market.

Posts: 117 | Registered: January 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like the option of some service type grips also.

Posts: 237 | Location: PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I'd prefer wood, modern checkering, no palm swells. If at all possible, with a flatter/straighter rear profile, similar to a flat vs. arched mainspring housing on a 1911. Doesn't actually have to be flat, just flattER.
That being said, I guess I'd buy G-10 too, just to have something smaller that the target grips.

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
For me, flat, modern checkering, probably G10, would consider wood.

Got them done yet? Big Grin

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BullBarrel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:

Not done yet Wink ...still only playing with Photoshop surface sketches, while the shop will be 'CAD drawing' the back side of the grips that fits the frame.
(Note: if I do a version with 45 degree lines as shown above, there will be more lines and the gaps will be smaller. First version most likely dimples/small gold balls)

Picture of BullBarrel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BullBarrel:
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:

Not done yet Wink ...still only playing with Photoshop surface sketches, while the shop will be 'CAD drawing' the back side of the grips that fits the frame.
(Note: if I do a version with 45 degree lines as shown above, there will be more lines and the gaps will be smaller. First version though will be most likely dimples/small gold balls)

Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I wonder what a golf ball or simonich gunner pattern would look like in G10

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not so much interested in alternate grips as in a "solid red dot adapter that will simply and easily replace the rear sight".

My best guess is that when SIG finally releases the "standard" version of the P210A, those grips will be interchangeable with target grips. Whether the grips will be available without the pistol is another question.

Are you thinking of something along the lines of the red dot adapters available for X series SIGs?

________________________________________________________________________________________
“How dismal it is to see present day Americans yearning for the very orthodoxy that their country was founded to escape.” ~ Christopher Hitchens

Posts: 125 | Location: Pikesville, MD | Registered: February 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BullBarrel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
I wonder what a golf ball or simonich gunner pattern would look like in G10

I know that the picture is not the best as it looks like 'long checkering' on the bottom portion of the grip, but if you look at the top of the grip - you will see that it actually shows the golf ball patern

Picture of BullBarrel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Just Plain Cliff:
I'm not so much interested in alternate grips as in a "solid red dot adapter that will simply and easily replace the rear sight".

My best guess is that when SIG finally releases the "standard" version of the P210A, those grips will be interchangeable with target grips. Whether the grips will be available without the pistol is another question.

Are you thinking of something along the lines of the red dot adapters available for X series SIGs?

Yes, that is EXACTLY correct. Here is the current X5/X6 adapter:

https://www.armorycraft.com/pr...-mount-red-dot-mount

I am working on a similar design. The top section is already done (so to speak). Now just the bottom needs to be reworked so the mount will fit inside of the current rear adjustable sight spot.

This future adapter will work on these following red dots:

Vortex Venom
Vortex Viper
Docter
Burris FastFire 2
Burris FastFire 3

Picture of BullBarrel
posted Hide Post
A little update on P210A modifications.
Just hacked away the magwell portion of my second P210A that will be used for developing of specific accessories for this U.S. made P210A model

1) regular/non-target magwell style grips

2) red dot adapter that can replace the rear sight.
(i.e no need to mill the slide or drill holes in your frame)

3) less curved/flat trigger.

- Cut the grips only to get an idea where to move further with the design. I think I still like to keep some of the palm swell. This is a full size, all metal pistol so having a little bit of the palm swell will help for a good counterbalance and a secure/firm grip.

- also modified my current x6/x6 red dot adapter. Milled the lower/insert portion thinner so it could fit inside of the spot where the rear adjustable sight was. This project will take some time and tweaking.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Keep the palm swell. Reduce the back strap hump.

Q