SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Where do you put your pistol when on a long drive?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where do you put your pistol when on a long drive? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Things to think about:
Maintaining normal carry, have you ever tried to access it while seated and belted? It’s one thing to pull a cover garment up while standing, something else when you may be sitting on a shirt tail and be constrained by the seat and belt.
That said, on a long trip without stops, that assumes you’re on the highway. How likely is it that you’re going to need to draw at 80mph?

When I’m on a long trip, it’s likely in the wife’s minivan, which has a nice basket of crap on the floor by the center console. Pistol in a OWB holster in there. When we stop, put on the IWB and transfer over.

For my daily commute, it’s in the armrest storage.

My suggestion is practice with a made-safe pistol to see if you can draw and present without flagging yourself. Make decisions based on your results.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
In the holster attached to me. Guns not attached, will not be where you put them after a crash. Additionally, unless you have trained hundreds of reps drawing from your dash board, glove box, etc., when you roll up on an emergency/etc, you're likely to forget to grab your gun when you bail out.

Just my opinion after 30 years carrying one. This doesn't mean I don't have a second pistol or a rifle in the rig, if time and circumstance allow access but, there is always one attached directly to me.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For years I've used a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster for my Glocks & HK's. The nice thing about the Glock holster is that it works for all versions from full size to baby Glock. Super comfortable and readily accessible.

Posts: 614 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
It stays in its holster on my hip.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the holster attached to me. Guns not attached, will not be where you put them after a crash.

That made me think of the Miami Shootout of 1986 (FBI vs. two mean SOBs). This was a real problem for at least one of the agents.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On my person; in most of our vehicles it's not particularly annoying (though notice I didn't say 'comfortable'). If we take my wife's car, I sometimes will use a shoulder rig because the seats in her car is BRUTAL when wearing anything the size of a G23 in the 4 or 4:30 position. If the shoulder holster will become awkward once I get to my destination, then I/we WON'T take her car. But the gun will be with me at all times.

quote:
Maintaining normal carry, have you ever tried to access it while seated and belted?

Yes I have actually. Occasionally I'll practiced drawing, sitting in my garage/"man cave", with every one of my cars. Getting older that practice is now a regular if infrequent 'thing' just due to all of those joints of mine that seem to get more achy and more ornery with each passing year. Frown As for the seatbelts; being right-handed it's easy to release the belt in a relatively compact series of actions if not actually fluidly, but I've found that for me and my body shape I don't need to release the belt at all. And I've found that I can actually get my gun out as fast if not faster than if I had stored it in a center console, assuming I actually HAD one of those in the vehicle (not all of our cars do). However when I've used a shoulder rig as described earlier, THAT'S when the seatbelt becomes something of a problem obstacle.

Each of the center consoles in our cars are situated annoyingly farther back from where my driver's seat is typically positioned for my proportionally short legged, five foot eight inch height. Getting to the gun in the console becomes a two-handed affair, that in trying to be quick means a series of awkward body twists and contortions, with the gun typically winding up in my off-hand at some point of the exercise. All of which is also potentially forcing me to turn away from a threat if he's coming at me from the driver's door side of the car.

These are the reasons why I've sat there in my garage and practiced drawing my gun from usual carry spot on my person.

In the distant past I had considered doing some sort of holster setup that's attached to the vehicle, say on the center tunnel. But that never seemed like a good solution once arriving at the destination. Unless the vehicle had tinted out windows (they don't), I'd be VERY conscious of the fact that I effectively have a brandished firearm in public that any passing pedestrian might catch glimpse of. So now I have to PLAN on where I park, or stop early someplace to move the gun back to my body, or some alternative 'other' method. Too much added paranoid thinking to deal with on TOP of the usual situational awareness considerations, so I just keep it on me at all times.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Shoulder rig

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
In my holster. I spent 15 years in a car with a holstered weapon 8 hours a day. It's doable. I don't carry IWB when on a long drive, otherwise I don't make any real changes.

We are all creatures of habit, especially when numbed by hours of road hypnosis. The odds of having a mental lapse and leaving the gun in the car when you get out for a quick stop or reaching for your hip when you need it and it's under the dash outweigh the minor comfort issue in my book. A reasonably compact pistol in a quality OWB holster is pretty comfortable even seated for long periods.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On a long drive, I would carry my Sig P229 in a
DeSantis leather combination right hand direct draw, or it has a second slot arrangement for cross
draw, which is better for long hauls.

The organization I worked for (USSS) issued Desantis holsters to agents for many years.

Posts: 248 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
This is true. I wear my P220 at 4:00. I was parked in front of a restaurant (seat belt on) one night when my 2 passenger doors opened quickly and 2 brothers jumped in. Scared the shit out of me. As it turns out, they thought I was an Uber. If I was being jacked, I didn't stand a chance. My doors should have been locked. Now, I carry a Jframe in my side door pouch.

I had a 14 hour drive last month and I really felt the gun during the later stages of the drive.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
Things to think about:
Maintaining normal carry, have you ever tried to access it while seated and belted? It’s one thing to pull a cover garment up while standing, something else when you may be sitting on a shirt tail and be constrained by the seat and belt.

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
One solution is ankle carry-I carried a J-frame on the right ankle, butt forward for years and it was accessible while seated behind the wheel.

Another is using a pocket holster in the large document pocket of the 5.11 shirts that are quick to get into due to the velcro closure.

Posts: 590 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two Ryan Grizzle "Warpig" holsters (one for my P365XL and one for my 1911) and they have been very comfortable IWB at the 4:00 with a t-shirt tucked behind it while driving (and untucked for cover when not) cross-country. Longest drive with one was from Tulsa to Tampa. Highly recommend.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Center console in the Jeep. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry AIWB, so I continue to carry in that position when I drive, including long drives (longest I've done like that is 9-10 hours).

AIWB works well. I get into the car, put on seat belt (not BEHIND the holster like some do, but as low across my hips as possible in front of the gun and holster), then blouse my shirt over both the gun AND the seatbelt, making access a breeze.

I am not a fan of doing extra administrative handling of a firearm in the close confines of my car, such as would be necessary if I used a "car holster" or put it in a center console or the like. That's just asking for big trouble, putting a hole through you, a passenger, or sensitive parts of the vehicle.

Also, I figure I am most likely to need the gun when OUT of the car, such as when pumping gas, so having it already on me (rather than having to PUT it on me each time I stop....again, there's the chance of an AD/ND or of just forgetting it inside the car) helps with this a lot.

I should also add that I have taken VCQB with Will Petty, a one-day vehicle class with John Murphy, and done the Street and Vehicle Tactics class with Mike Pannone. All seemed in agreement with all of this and I had no issues carrying, drawing, etc, from a seated position in any of these classes, not to mention in practice on my own.

Hope this helps some people here out.

Posts: 1698 | Location: USA | Registered: October 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same place I always carry it, on my right side in an IWB holster with a forward cant, it's quite comfortable.

Steve......

NRA Patron Life member
North American Hunting Club Life Member

Posts: 22 | Location: SEMO | Registered: March 30, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I am driving in an area where it is legal to carry while outside the vehicle, I keep my carry gun(s) holstered, while driving.

0400 has never been a comfortable location for me to carry. From 1984 to 2018, I carried duty handguns at 0300, and generally carried 0300 to 0330 during personal time. Since retirement, my primary carry position has move a bit forward, 0200 to 0300.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Same place it stays when I carry, in the holster, on my belt (IWB).

Last month I drove to Disney from central AL. Broke it up on the trip down, but drove straight back on the return trip. 10 hours in the car. My pistol was inside my waistband the whole time and was completely comfortable.

A lot depends on the size of the pistol, as well as the holster. 98% of my carry pistols ride in a VM2. Yes, there's a sweet spot you have to find as to holster location while driving, but once you find it, it's 100% comfortable.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
Hip. It's lived there most of my adult life. I carry OWB so it's really not uncomfortable at all.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
IWB ~4:00
That's my normal carry position & is unchanged.
Did 13 hours in the car a couple weeks ago, Houston>Baton Rouge>Houston & had no complaints.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Beagle:
I have two Ryan Grizzle "Warpig" holsters (one for my P365XL and one for my 1911) and they have been very comfortable IWB at the 4:00 with a t-shirt tucked behind it while driving (and untucked for cover when not) cross-country. Longest drive with one was from Tulsa to Tampa. Highly recommend.

You're welcome

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post