SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Where do you put your pistol when on a long drive?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where do you put your pistol when on a long drive? Login/Join 
posted
Assuming you will not get out of the car for hours at a time, what is a good storage solution? I am not interested in wearing the pistol at the 4 o'clock position while seated for hundreds of miles.

There are magnetic storage devices, but personally I would prefer a retention holster than could be clipped into the car interior.

Any ideas?

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I sometimes put the pistol in the console and wear the holster empty or take off.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I know you don't want to hear it, but I wear mine at 4 o'clock when I'm on long drives.

Be aware that if you use a magnet or holster that if you should be unfortunate enough to get into an accident where you hit something at speed that there's a good chance the pistol will continue on even though the car stops and could cause severe damage to you or something else in the vehicle.

I've been in a crash like that and I'm speaking from experience.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I keep my regular holster at 4:00 and have another small slide holster on at 10-11.

While driving the gun is at 11:00 so it comfortable and easily accessible with my seat belt on.

When we stop to get gas, eat, etc., the gun goes back in my regular holster.

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Full size Glock in center console, holstered and a 365 in the door pocket. 365 goes in pants pocket when leaving vehicle

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Crossbreed makes some velcro backed holsters that might be of interest if you were willing to stick the mating velcro in the car.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It stays in its holster on my hip.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I keep it under my left leg

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Mine stays on me. One of the reasons I carry a Glock 26 (with the flush mag) in a Croosbreed IWB is the comfort in the car.
That holster distributes the mass of the pistol very well and the short grip doesn't dig into the seat back.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Not quite the answer you are seeking. But I have a reason for my answer.

Last December I was in a wreck. I had my Ruger SP101 in a IWB Holster. A LEO at the scene took possession of it before I was airlifted to a hospital. He later returned it to my wife at home while I was in the hospital.

The pistol was not damaged. I think if it had been stored in the vehicle, and not on me, it probably would have been tossed out, as my truck rolled over 3 times. Debris was scattered over a wide swath.

It may not be comfortable, but I think the safest place for a pistol when driving, is on a person, in a holster.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I've found a shoulder rig was more comfortable on the long drives....I know they're not as popular as they used to be, but still a perfectly viable option in my opinion.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to be difficult and I hope all is OK following your obviously serious accident. But if you got airlifted and the truck was totaled why on earth would you care a hoot about what happens to a ruger SP101.
If I'm in a long distance driving event and its more comfortable I move it to the center console.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I store mine in a DeSantis cross draw at 1100

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
i keep it in a remora holster wedged in between the seat and the console. when i need to get out of the car i tuck it in my waistband

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For long drives, I wear a crossdraw rig. More comfortable while in a car seat, better access while seated and can be worn so your seatbelt does not interfere with access to the gun. YMMV.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I keep my carry gun in its holster, on my belt and have a 45, 5 inch full size, in a nylon holster - velcro'd to the center console in between the seat and console.

Throw back to what we use to do when I worked Investigations. Always had an easy to shoot pistol in a fast access position in the car. With additional loaded mags inside the center console. Smile

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
Glock 17 in the center console.

Glock 19 in a shoulder holster

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Not to be difficult and I hope all is OK following your obviously serious accident. But if you got airlifted and the truck was totaled why on earth would you care a hoot about what happens to a ruger SP101.
If I'm in a long distance driving event and its more comfortable I move it to the center console.

Well, wasn't it nice to get my pistol back, even though at the time it was not my main concern?

Put your pistol anywhere you choose...you ask for advice , and I gave you my opinion. Regardless of a wreck, I've driven 5-6 hours with my pistol holstered

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of great info here, from those with much experience.

Originally I was thinking of mounting a G-code RTI wheel to the vehicle. These are QR, I use one with my range holster and they work well. Ideally I would use a retention holster, so it would be safer in an accident.

However I can see keeping the P320C in it's holster and inside the the console has safety advantages. Then put a small pistol on my left ankle, or closer.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I carry at 1:00 ("appendix" carry). I either leave the gun on, or put it in the center console, which on my car is deep enough to hold and conceal the gun. When I carry the SIG P320, the paddle holster that came with it is a handy car carry holster. The projection on the bottom of the paddle hooks onto the console so as to free the gun from the holster. (This is about the only use for it.)

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post