SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Dan Wesson 4" .357 - How Common
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dan Wesson 4" .357 - How Common Login/Join 
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted
Local guy is selling a 4" DW .357 revolver, anyone know anything about these? I really can't find much about them on the web, but the guy claims it was originally a $1k weapon.

Any information would be appreciated, reliability, accuracy, parts availability, the usual...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing one here and looked to have a pretty heavy duty barrel.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased a new blued DW .357 with the 6" heavy ventilated rib barrel in 1981 for a little over $200, IIRC. I had plans to get additional barrels for it, but never did. I really like it.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have one with a 2.5” and a 6” barrel. They are accurate revolvers but seem sort of clumsy compared with the products of their various competitors. The internal parts are robust and crude to a point of looking like something designed in the soviet union. I have often wondered if Wesson pioneered the use of MIM parts, or maybe the hammers and triggers are cast.

If he gave $1000 for his, he got rooked. Used, they’re about a $300-375 gun around here, and not particularly easy to sell.

From my limited dealings with Dan Wesson Arms, I get the impression that they’d just as soon not have to deal with questions about parts for their revolver line.

If you try to make a deal for it, see if he has the wrench that came with it to allow you to remove the barrel nut. If so, you can easily swap barrels.

ETA: mine is a Monson made Model 15.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Dan Wesson still sells the 357 mag. Barrels are interchangeable and new barrel assemblies can be purchased from Dan Wesson for a couple hundred as can all the parts. I recently called Dan Wesson for parts for my DW 44mag and 445 SuperMag. Fast and helpful service from the head gunsmith for revolvers and parts dept.
Gun Broker is flooded with DW 357Mag revolvers.
GREAT accurate and durable revolvers.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
As an FYI, back in the day, made fixed barrel revolvers as well.

My recent production 715 is a very nicely made revolver, yes MIM internals.

I have the 2.5, 4 and 6" barrels.

One of my favorite shooters.

Longest barrel they currently make is 10".

Debating on either an 8 or 10, which would be scoped.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
^
" 4" DW .357 revolver" is too vague.
Could be the cheaper model, could be the higher end models with a 4" barrel.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
My dad has a 6" with the ribbed barrel and full underlug.

It is an awesome revolver, the trigger is amazing. He's had it for about 35yrs, not sure of the manufacture date.

Very beautiful pistol, and fit and finish is amazing.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
^
" 4" DW .357 revolver" is too vague.
Could be the cheaper model, could be the higher end models with a 4" barrel.
I'm not sure what model it is yet, I haven't put eyes on it beyond some really bad pictures. Which models are more/less desirable?

I seriously know nearly nothing about DW models.

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
The Monson made versions are the cream of the crop.

There were some issues with later ones.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
Dan Wesson still sells the 357 mag.

Barely. ATF list 600 revolvers sold in 2017 for CZ New York.

I would pass on any used DW. Quality was spotty over the years among the different owners. YMMV.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Monson guns and the guns made in the current plant in NY both before CZ ownership and after are solid.
Palmer made guns are not the most sought after.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
I have a 715 I bought new in 1986...it’s been one one of my favorites...lost count of the rounds but it has seen plenty of use.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayflingythingy:
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
Dan Wesson still sells the 357 mag.

Barely. ATF list 600 revolvers sold in 2017 for CZ New York.

Sounds about right. CZ has always had a production bottleneck with those guns. From what I was told by CZ reps over the years, at first it was unavoidable then later became intentional.

Early on the problem with the CZ 715s was purportedly due to the lack experienced hands, at least according to our rep at the time when the gun was reintroduced to market. Lead times were ridiculously long. Orders took well over a year to fill. By the time we finally got our third one in, we got tired of and fed up with the delays and just ordered any further units as requested by customers through distributors instead of direct, at least whenever they showed up at those sources. The lack of production volume has always kept us from having the 715/CZ as a regular stocking item, which had been our shop's goal at the start.

A later rep once told me that the primary gunsmith in charge of the 715/CZ production encountered health issues for a time, which exacerbated the production problems. Right about that time period, the "official" status of the 715/CZ out of the company's mouth became "limited production", spin doctored marketing at its most inglorious.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Local guy is selling a 4" DW .357 revolver, anyone know anything about these? I really can't find much about them on the web, but the guy claims it was originally a $1k weapon.

Any information would be appreciated, reliability, accuracy, parts availability, the usual...
The current Model 715 produced by CZ has a MSRP between $1400 and $2000 depending on configuration

So a street price of $1000 would not be out of line for a recently purchased CZ/Dan Wesson production revolver

It is a shame that CZ/DW is not producing the DW revovlers in Blue Steel.

Blue Steel looks So Good

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing this is an older gun, the grip logo is DWA(Dan Wesson Arms) instead of DW(Dan Wesson).

Edit:
I'm told it's an older 15-2 model. Doesn't sound like he has any other barrels or accessories. He's selling it for <$500, 80% condition. Hmmm.

NRA Benefactor

A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I had an 8" Dan Wesson 15-2 vent rib full lug back in the early 80's. It had a nice blue job, and shot very accurate but the rear sight was not level with the frame and this always bugged me. It was not a Smith or a Ruger and the odd cylinder release did not work well for me so I traded it off. There may be great versions of it but mine was not.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
My first handgun was a Monson 15-2.
One hole gun all day long.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
they were made more for the Silhouette and hunting crowd more so than the avg shooter

DW 357's and 44's were built to last, and were stronger than the S&W and Colts at that time (early 80's)

now they are more collectible if in good
+ condition, (The pistol packs bring a lot of$$$$$)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I think he's asking too much for one with just a single barrel.
I got two pistol pacs for 600 each, and they had been sitting in consignment for a while.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post