SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W is bringing back the Model 19
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W is bringing back the Model 19 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I could buy a new S&W, plug the lock and, generally, accept it. But, they changed the counter of the rear of the frame to fit the lock.

It just threw off the whole looks of the gun for me.

I actually have a later MIM 629 w/o the lock. Mechanically, it’s a very good gun.

Posts: 882 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
I much prefer my PC 19 Carry Comp from the early '90s.

Aka "K" Comp. Beautiful gun, along with the"F" Comp (stainless 3"version), just absolute winners from that era.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
It's a tensioned stainless steel (or carbon steel) barrel, surrounded by an alloy or carbon steel shroud...

Thanks! I understand how people would dislike that arrangement.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In regards to the two piece barrel, did S&W also beef up the forcing cone area on the new 19's like they did on the new 66's?

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Perry:
In regards to the two piece barrel, did S&W also beef up the forcing cone area on the new 19's like they did on the new 66's?

I'm not sure; but this review on the 66 from Handguns Magazine would suggest it does for new production with the two piece. I can't find an explicit answer of whether the two piece system was to correct the forcing cone problems some weapons had (and I've also heard of L frames losing their barrels), but part of the review mentions an interview with a S&W engineer that shed some light on that it is stronger than the traditional one piece barrel. Stronger lock-up, etc. from less metal removed on the lower forcing cone area when being fitted.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/rev...el-66-combat-magnum/

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If I had to have one, I would wait for a nice pre-lock model. They're still out there.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The two-piece barrels are more accurate than the older barrels. Thus this is a positive thing for the re-release, not a negative thing.

The forcing cone issue was fixed and these re-released M19's will allow firing 125 grain bullets.

I reload my 357's and only load 125 grain bullets, for use in my lever rifles. The original 19-3 in my safe stays in my safe because I would have to buy factory 158 grain ammo to shoot the gun. I like the original gun, it is beautiful and well made. I will use that as the part of my firearms "museum" (i.e., my collection) but for shooting, just taking to the range and shooting the heck out of, and using the same ammo I already load anyway for the rifles, I am really excited to get the newly re-released Model 19. Just like a 19-5 is not a 19-3 and never can be, the newly re-released M19 can not be a 19-5 or 19-3 or a 19-no dash, etc. So what? If you want an original, get one. If you want to shoot, either for competition or for fun, and not worry about scratching or wearing out an original, get the new one.

As an aside, my "gun money" for 2018 was being held onto for a P365, but I will heed Para's sage advice to wait until at least a year out before buying the P365. That frees up a bunch of money that can contribute to the cost of a new M19. Then next year I get the P365 and win again!

Posts: 695 | Registered: June 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will keep my m 19-3 and 66 no dash in the safe and shoot the 66-1 but only with .38 Special. When I did shoot the 19 it was very accurate.

Posts: 6 | Registered: July 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Loves me some K-frame revolvers. Here’s a M66 that Ted Yost did for me. The other is a model 10 in .357 also by Yost. And yep, you read it right. It was his personal carry gun for a bit. Great gun.

Posts: 684 | Location: Arlington, VA/Burlington, VT | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A model 10 in .357?

Nice looking revolvers, both.

Is that a gold beat sight on the lower one?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bearverine
posted Hide Post
I like the looks of the 3 inchers
But between the price and the H.h.......

As honor follows service, so the westerner travels to the east.

Posts: 478 | Location: Winchester, Indiana | Registered: April 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post