SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W is bringing back the Model 19
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W is bringing back the Model 19 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The lock is of no concern for me but I do hope S&W has corrected all the problems they had when they re-introduced the new mod 66. One of my co-workers is still waiting for a complete fix for his 2-3/4". It has been over 6 months and counting.

Posts: 210 | Registered: February 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Icky.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
Congrats to S&W for reintroducing the gun that made "Bill Jordan" famous.
Well...his skill and marksmanship was famous , in the making.
Doubtfull, if any new 19s will be as fine tuned , & slick actioned, as my supremely accurate ...blued 19 from the mid '70s.
(Completely retimed & worked over...to near perfection).

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.

Posts: 182 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I'd rather have the 686.

LOL. Agreed. But, I would love to have this one also.

jpfive
Sig P365
Sig P220R-4-DSE 45ACP
Springfield 1911 Custom 45ACP
Beretta PX-4 9mm
Browning Buckmark 22 LR
Ruger Six 22WMR/LR
S&W 686+ 6"
S&W Airweight Snubby

Posts: 14 | Location: Pensacola, FL | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Had a Model 19 in the 70s.
6" barrel, white outline rear, red ramp front, target trigger and target hammer.
Very accurate.
Don't know why I sent it down the road.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
They're not mutually exclusive. The little Carry Comp version looks interesting.

I'm not a revolver guy, but the one revolver I really want is a 686 3".

quote:
Originally posted by jpfive:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I'd rather have the 686.

LOL. Agreed. But, I would love to have this one also.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a nickel 6" barrel with target grips, trigger, hammer and sites. If they brought back the stainless version, I'd buy a new one in a minute! I think the stainless was the model 66?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cautionary tale:
I once Mag-Na-Ported a 3 inch Model 65. Then touched off a full power .357 load.
My eyebrows grew back in fine afterward!
The Carry Comp may let you have a similar experience.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
I do like that carry comp!

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I have a nickel 6" barrel with target grips, trigger, hammer and sites. If they brought back the stainless version, I'd buy a new one in a minute! I think the stainless was the model 66?

Yes, the 66 was the 19 in stainless. After posting the initial message, I looked a little more on-line for the other guys. The Classic model has a 4.25" barrel, not the 4.0" of the earlier models. Unlike the new production 66s, the 19 Classic will have a one piece stainless steel barrel not the two piece ones on several new models like the 66. New 19s may not fit our older holsters (I had that problem with my 686 Plus, ordered a holster for it only to find they'd given latter production guns a 4.125" barrel).
Like BBMW, I'm keeping my eye out for a 3" 686 or 686 Plus. I wouldn't mind one of the new 19s, but my 2.5" one from the early 1990s and the 686 make me happy at the moment. Smile

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The new M19 has a two piece sleeved barrel like the current M66 incarnation. It's interesting that they don't use the two piece barrel with the new M586 though. Perhaps only a half lugged design.

Posts: 841 | Registered: January 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
I have a 686+ 3 inch with a second 9mm cylinder so I can shoot 357, 38, and 9 (with moon clips) through it. I’m good.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Won’t buy a SW with a lock.
Stupid, ugly reminder of an industry cowtowing to
Filthy scum of the likes of Andrew Cuomo when he was Director of HUD.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I much prefer my PC 19 Carry Comp from the early '90s.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
FWIW, the Comp Carry 19 is a pretty bad ass looking pistol.

Not sure I'd drop $1k for it, though...

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
As others have said, my $350 19-2 is looking better and better all the time. It's 53 years old, has a smooth DA, and an SA break like a glass rod. It's a factory stock trigger/hammer that's had no work done other than a reduced power trigger return spring. They don't make 'um like they used to.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SS:
The new M19 has a two piece sleeved barrel like the current M66 incarnation. It's interesting that they don't use the two piece barrel with the new M586 though. Perhaps only a half lugged design.

SS, you and several others are correct; the new Model 19 does indeed have the two piece barrel like the 66. I couldn't tell by looking at it, and the description on S&W's website was not clear about it (they are explicit for the 66 though). I picked up the phone today and called S&W's Technical Support; the lady had to turn her head and ask someone else, but the answer back was "Yes sir, it is the two piece barrel". Sort of destroys my thoughts that the Classic line indeed should be like they used to make them (as much as possible). I stand corrected and better informed.

I do like my 686 Plus though.

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
S & W sbould make an exact dupe of the 19 - 3 or 4/5. I now understand 18DAI's scorn.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know the two-piece barrel has been talked about here before, but what is it?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I know the two-piece barrel has been talked about here before, but what is it?

It's a tensioned stainless steel (or carbon steel) barrel, surrounded by an alloy or carbon steel shroud. A good source of info (didn't see much on the S&W site) is the Smith & Wesson forum. This is one of several threads on them.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s...wo-piece-barrel.html

Sounds like they began using the technology with the scandium alloy frame lightweights.

There are some photos I could link, but images on S&W's site of some models should show them better.