SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 34 - or- S&W M&P 2.0, 9mm -5"barrel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 34 - or- S&W M&P 2.0, 9mm -5"barrel Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
I have been more than happy shooting my CZ Shadow 9mm for many years.So happy in fact that I have had little or no desire to buy a different gun, until now.

Both my rotator cuffs are torn and I'm beginning to have problems shooting the CZ one handed, sometimes my arm just drops and I can hardly lift it. I must shoot quickly one handed because I know my arm will not stay up for long.
I have decided to contemplate the purchase of a lighter full size gun.

I receive a substantial professional discount on Glocks and S&W firearms.
I have narrowed my search to these two models.

From those who have shot both, what are your thoughts?

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
2.0. I have both. The 2.0 is way more forgiving than the 34 is. I'd also give the 2.0 props as I find it to me more ergonomic than the 34.

Some complaints seem to find their way around over the 2.0 needing trigger work out of the box. I think is one of those "salt to taste" kind of things. Mine wasn't bad at all out of the box, but I went Apex because I can get more out of the gun with an Apex trigger installed. I did have accuracy problems with my 4.25 after about 8500 rounds. I went from getting 2 inch groups to getting 4 inch groups at 25 yards.

YMMV.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
5" M&P. mostly because of the grip feel (which is admittedly very subjective).

I find that the APEX sear is unnecessary, but I really like the APEX unarticulated trigger.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2446 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I have been more than happy shooting my CZ Shadow 9mm for many years.So happy in fact that I have had little or no desire to buy a different gun, until now.

Both my rotator cuffs are torn and I'm beginning to have problems shooting the CZ one handed, sometimes my arm just drops and I can hardly lift it. I must shoot quickly one handed because I know my arm will not stay up for long.

Why not consider shoulder surgery? I'm 9 weeks post surgery for a torn rotator cuff surgery, full depth tear, and a "few" other repairs ... just shot for the first time this past weekend ... more rehab needed but things are getting better. Right shoulder and I'm strongly right hand dominant ... actually left hand by itself is nearly worthless Big Grin

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Start doing physical therapy exercises with lightweight elastic bands.

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After owning both, I might be in the minority but I prefer the Glock 34. There is a lot more you can do to it if you want to change things-more trigger options, beaver tail(even though the 2.0 has already taken care of that issue),mag./slide release,springs and other internal parts,mags are cheaper, magwells( you would be surprised at how many people I shoot with are amazed at how the feel of a quality magwell makes a difference/adds to your grip),etc.. I love my G34 and while there is nothing wrong with the S&W, I prefer the Glock. I am no fan boy and have other brands of pistols, but the Glock is a proven design and one of a couple pistols on the market, I would trust right it out of the box if I had to.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bpnkrtn:
quote:

Why not consider shoulder surgery? I'm 9 weeks post surgery for a torn rotator cuff surgery, full depth tear, and a "few" other repairs ... just shot for the first time this past weekend ... more rehab needed but things are getting better. Right shoulder and I'm strongly right hand dominant ... actually left hand by itself is nearly worthless Big Grin

I had a completely torn rotator cuff (right arm, strong arm)repaired about 12yrs ago. All went well with a very short easy recovery. I since tore my left shoulder and re-tore my right.
At 66 I'm inclined to work around it as 2 new operations may not be as successful as before and could leave me in worse condition.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
After owning both, I might be in the minority but I prefer the Glock 34. There is a lot more you can do to it if you want to change things-more trigger options, beaver tail(even though the 2.0 has already taken care of that issue),mag./slide release,springs and other internal parts,mags are cheaper, magwells( you would be surprised at how many people I shoot with are amazed at how the feel of a quality magwell makes a difference/adds to your grip),etc.. I love my G34 and while there is nothing wrong with the S&W, I prefer the Glock. I am no fan boy and have other brands of pistols, but the Glock is a proven design and one of a couple pistols on the market, I would trust right it out of the box if I had to.

I shoot IDPA and want to leave the gun stock so I stay in SSP. A little trigger work is about all I would go for.
So, I'm talking out of the box guns.

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
My local S&W Law Enforcement seller advised me that the M&P 2.0 9mm does NOT come in a 5" version,Can any body verify this?
I looked at the S&W website but only saw the Tan color offered in 5" version of the 2.0

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
It is only currently offered in tan with a manual safety

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
To me the standard 2.0 triggers are a lot like the 1.0 Pro triggers. I shoot my 1.0 5" 9Pro better than I do my Gen4 G34. Plus I like the 2.0 frame texture a whole lot better.

If it were me I'd pick the 2.0, then tear that stupid thumb safety out of the gun and order a set of the safety frame plugs to put in its place. I'd even settle for the plugs in black if it meant that I didn't have to deal with that thumb safety.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
My local S&W Law Enforcement seller advised me that the M&P 2.0 9mm does NOT come in a 5" version,Can any body verify this?
I looked at the S&W website but only saw the Tan color offered in 5" version of the 2.0

S&W LE Sales confirmed ONLY TAN and no other option in the foreseeable future.
Strange. Most people that carry professionally can't carry a tan gun at work. I have asked for a exception to company policy.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Why do you think the accuracy went at 8500 rounds??? That seems like a fairly low round count for a modern polymer 9mm pistol. I can't imagine the barrel being shot out. Rail wear????

I really like the feel of the M&P 2.0 but my history with semi auto smiths is rocky. The Glock 34 is pretty legendary at this point in the game.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
.....and by accuracy going I mean from you as a talented shooter. At 25 yards I am more of a well let's just call it area suppression shooter. Frown

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I don’t have the G34, but do have 7 other Glocks and I do have the M&P 2.0 in .45. I hate the grip texture and I don’t like the trigger. Two things that are very personal to the shooter. I ended up getting a G21 and will probably sell the M&P.

The best thing you can do if you live in an area where you can rent the two guns, go and shoot them. hickock45 very recently did a video on the G34 and compared it with the G17, so if you can’t find a G34 to rent, you would get the same experience with a G17.

His video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgYmMZTaFN8

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Are the frames the same on the M&P 5" vs 4.25"? Do 1.0 slides work on 2.0?

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
Are the frames the same on the M&P 5" vs 4.25"? Do 1.0 slides work on 2.0?

Yes.

www.opspectraining.com

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
thank you

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post