SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    High end semi-auto pistol, 2k-3k range...suggestions?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High end semi-auto pistol, 2k-3k range...suggestions? Login/Join 
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Ted yost browning hi power. Hands down

This would be my big money custom gun to myself.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of macfly
posted Hide Post
Wilson Combat.
compact or full.
I am a convert. I thought SIGs quality was good...at first. then came across these and there is no comparison. fit and finish are top notch. get a flat wound spring which are good for 8-10k rounds. Shoot like a dream

Posts: 779 | Registered: July 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by macfly:
Wilson Combat.
compact or full.
I am a convert. I thought SIGs quality was good...at first. then came across these and there is no comparison. fit and finish are top notch. get a flat wound spring which are good for 8-10k rounds. Shoot like a dream

Comparing a Corolla to a Lexus? Ridiculous. Sure, both are dependable drivers, but one is clearly above the other in every other department.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Same here.

I bought my first SVI and thought 'Ed who? Wilson what?' Razz

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
As for Ed Brown, I like the Kobra Carry and the Executive elite. How does the 4.25" barrel compare to the 5"? Sine it won't be used for carry I am assuming the 5" is more accurate and maybe more stable?.

You will get a longer slide, which makes the sight radius longer. It is a bit easier to be more accurate at longer distances.

The biggest difference is that the smaller sized 1911 will have more felt recoil in 45ACP. I've owned twelve 1911s over the years - only 1 of them was commander sized - a Dan Wesson VBOB. I did not like it that much, because the additional recoil was noticeable.

Posts: 531 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Same here.

I bought my first SVI and thought 'Ed who? Wilson what?' Razz

Indeed.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Getting some great suggestions here. Looked at everything from a Sig P226 x6 to a $6K Wilson Combat to a used Ed Brown, customized Hi Power, 2011, etc. I like the idea of staying in platform since I have a lot of Sigs. But I have to say my eyes have been opened quite a bit to what is available in the 3-6K range. Some just pure beauty IMO. I think it is going to take me a lot longer to figure out what I want to do. It is purely a luxury purchase for me and not one I will likely repeat soon unless I win the lottery. I would rather not rush into a decision only to find out I made a mistake. I wish they were like range guns where you could shoot them before you buy. Maybe I need to start looking at my gun club to see if I see something I like and may be able to shoot it.

Keep em coming. Opinions are like aholes, we all have them and most of them....well you know the rest.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cruiser68:
Getting some great suggestions here. Looked at everything from a Sig P226 x6 to a $6K Wilson Combat to a used Ed Brown, customized Hi Power, 2011, etc. I like the idea of staying in platform since I have a lot of Sigs. But I have to say my eyes have been opened quite a bit to what is available in the 3-6K range. Some just pure beauty IMO. I think it is going to take me a lot longer to figure out what I want to do. It is purely a luxury purchase for me and not one I will likely repeat soon unless I win the lottery. I would rather not rush into a decision only to find out I made a mistake. I wish they were like range guns where you could shoot them before you buy. Maybe I need to start looking at my gun club to see if I see something I like and may be able to shoot it.

Northshore Sports Club in Lake Forest has a Wilson Event in April. They also have a ton of high end (but way over priced) guns on display. Nighthawk, WC, STI etc. Since your asking for opinions for me I like the STI 2011's, Les Baers and if you decide to go revolver either the Korth or Freedom Arms.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
As much as I enjoy the CZ Shadow 2, I’m really interested in a tuned gun myself. I’d probably go Ed Brown for a single stack 45ACP.

As my current interest is in USPSA, this the CZ, I’m looking to a 2011 gun. Possibly in 40 to make major. However, I’m also interested in the single stack division and then would probably pick up a 45 or 40 for that so back to Ed Brown or Dan Wesson.

If I was looking in the $5k range, it’d be a Mclearn Custom.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently picked up a STI 2011 in 9mm. Couldn't be happier with how it shoots. Runs like a sewing machine with MBX mags.

Previously had a STI Trojan in 9mm. 100% reliable with Dawson 10rd mags, 10K plus rounds on it. Sold it after buying the 2011.

9mm 1911/2011 sure are sweet shooters.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of macfly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by macfly:
Wilson Combat.
compact or full.

Comparing a Corolla to a Lexus? Ridiculous. Sure, both are dependable drivers, but one is clearly above the other in every other department.

seriously, man.
do you have to just chime in with snarky shit all the time? no need to comment.
the OP asked for nice guns in a price range. I offered.
no need for your comments.

Posts: 779 | Registered: July 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:

Keep em coming. Opinions are like aholes, we all have them and most of them....well you know the rest.

There's a big difference in a 2-3k gun and a 6k gun... 6k is full custom and will pretty much get you whatever you want shy of an open gun from the best builders in the country.

I am a huge fan of SVI, I have owned 4 of them, still have two in my safe. I would consider them for 1911 or 2011... I also have a serious lust for a gun from Bunker Arms. Brandan Bunker is doing some crazy premium 1911 builds these days.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
A Freedom Arms revolvers would be my pick.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Now for something completely different...

For just a range toy, I think I'd get an HK P7 PSP, a threaded barrel, and an AAC can.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:

Which model do you have? They are pretty awesome.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brianfede:
quote:

Which model do you have? They are pretty awesome.

I don't own any but always admired there build quality and precision.
Its on MY bucket list.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite pistol in the world is the Browning GP35 Hi-Power. I would love to have the funds to have a pistol that has been worked over by Heirloom Precision or Don Williams.

Posts: 1751 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Volkmann!!

http://www.volkmannprecision.com

He Is No Fool Who Gives What He Cannot Keep,
To Gain That Which He Cannot Lose!

Posts: 593 | Location: central nebraska | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prairiefire:
Volkmann!!

http://www.volkmannprecision.com

Wow. Never heard of him before and thanks for the link to see his guns.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:

I hadn’t thought of that when I suggested Cabot Guns. I like this suggestion. More in your price range too that Cabot. On a similar note, how about a Manurhin MR73?

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post