SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    High end semi-auto pistol, 2k-3k range...suggestions?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High end semi-auto pistol, 2k-3k range...suggestions? Login/Join 
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
If a possible competition use 1911, I’d strongly consider a 9mm.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
X5 or custom 1911 I say

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:

Agree, one of the reasons I am on the fence regarding caliber. I can definitely do better with follow up shots with my 9mm's. But again classic 1911 is .45.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:

...classic 1911 is .45.

So they tell me, but there is no fun in that.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:

...classic 1911 is .45.

So they tell me, but there is no fun in that.

So I’ll tell you... 8 to 10 expensive rounds in a full size gun sucks.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:

Agree, one of the reasons I am on the fence regarding caliber. I can definitely do better with follow up shots with my 9mm's. But again classic 1911 is .45.

I say it from a stage planning perspective. 10 rounds of minor is better than 8 rounds of major in the modern 8 round array matches.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Do what I did: Buy a Ruger SR1911 and then ship it off to Don Williams at The Action Works.

This would be my first choice. I currently have a HP with Don and here’s another he did for me:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6660028724

The other would be as other's have mentioned a P210A which would leave enough left over to pick up another quality piece.

I did this very thing last year. Lucked out and was able to get it and a DW Valkyrie Commander for just under $2.5K.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Can you buy something older and used and have it completely refinished in say chrome or nickel? How close to new can they be rebuilt? If that were true then the option of spending the same money on completely customizing something I like versus buying brand new s appealing. Sound like that process might be very interesting. I was reading through the hi-power custom services and was in awe.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you buy something older and used and have it completely refinished in say chrome or nickel? How close to new can they be rebuilt? If that were true then the option of spending the same money on completely customizing something I like versus buying brand new s appealing. Sound like that process might be very interesting. I was reading through the hi-power custom services and was in awe.

Regarding finishes - Yes, although some may not list certain options. Don Williams doesn't list nickel, but, I know he probably has a source for it. I thought hard about having the frame on my latest HP case hardened and that was no issue for him.

How close to new depends on the base pistol. At least you could shop local and find something good to start with. There's plenty of quality aftermarket parts for both the 1911 and HP.

Some food for thought. While you really can blow the budget on a custom piece, you can also get something a lot nicer and exactly the way you want for less. The total cost for HP, in the link I posted earlier, was less than the price of a Nighthawk HP.

Just make sure you find a reputable 'smith and be prepared for a bit of a wait.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Re: “Just make sure you find a reputable 'smith and be prepared for a bit of a wait.”

A plug for Robert Burke, TheSigArmorer. I sent my X5 Comp to him for an action job. Robert mailed the X5 back to me 18 days after he received it. Communication throughout the process was excellent. Phone calls and emails received prompt attention. And the action job was superb.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
I sold all my other guns and bought a Wilson Combat EDC X9. It is 15 rounds in a 1911-type handgun.

I may never buy another gun. It is that good.

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I'll be the second to chime in with Pardini GT series either a 9 or 45.

It sounds like you're looking for something outside of a 1911 (I've been fortunate enough to own examples from both Ed Brown and Wilson).

My next high end pistol will likely be a Pardini GT9, perhaps even in 6" flavor.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I would own an Ed Brown, if I were going Stainless or a Colt in High Polish Blue through their custom shop.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a Wildey? It is technically in .45 caliber.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Cabot Guns out of PA would be a 1911 company I would take a hard look at. http://cabotgun.com

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
If it must be .45, then look at either a Pardini or an X5/X6. Both guns can be be had in either 9 or 45. The Sigs, in particular, can be stunning, with stainless finishes and nice burled grips, if you want a looker.

Also look closely at a P210.

Posts: 836 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
If you are paying 3k for a custom 1911, you might as well pay 3k for a custom 2011.

Same awesome trigger, all the same fantastic options, with double stack capacity in a frame that is just a smidge larger than a single stack.

I find double stack pistols fill my hand out much better in any case, and the ergonomics are better.

I get 20 rounds of 9mm with factory STI mags and up to 23 rounds with tuned mags and Grams followers.

https://i.imgur.com/km96YIb.jpg

Trigger gauges at about 2.5 lbs. The trigger parts are from extreme engineering.

If you are considering shooting USPSA, consider 40 S&W. Shooting minor in Limited division is a handicap. I deal with it because I mostly shoot 3 Gun where 9mm is king.

Bar-sto 9mm barrel

Ed brown grip safety

wilson high ride ambi

extreme trig group at just 2 lbs

Dawson firing pin, magwell, mag release and button and front sight, tool less guide rod.

EGW slide release.

aftec extractor

STI slide and frame

CK Arms rear sight.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: IndianaBoy,

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
A Desert Eagle isn't in the 2K price range unless you get into that hideous pimp gun thing, but add a P210 target and they'll be a whole lot more fun. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by aparoche:

So I’ll tell you... 8 to 10 expensive rounds in a full size gun sucks.

I like full size guns. Overall it depends on your fun:sucks ratio.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I just noticed your location is chicagoland.

The smith who built my 2011 is a Northern Ill guy if you want his contact info.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
I would do a Wilson EDC X9 in 9mm or a brown/Wilson 1911 in 45

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post