SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    High end semi-auto pistol, 2k-3k range...suggestions?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High end semi-auto pistol, 2k-3k range...suggestions? Login/Join 
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
If you are not wanting to carry, then the full size 5 inch Ed Brown is better, IMO. This is a preowned custom 9mm. The optional frame checkering is really nice and grippy.

Right Side by GaryBF, on Flickr

That is beautiful IMO.

Is it safe to say that any pistols in this price range will have excellent smooth buttery triggers?

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
Is it safe to say that any pistols in this price range will have excellent smooth buttery triggers?

Yes. In a 1911, my vote would go to an Ed Brown. Unless you want to buy a complete custom pistol from a small smith. As in, have Grayguns do one for you.

If not a 1911, I'd say P210-6.

If not that, a S&W 952. Though I hear these are no longer made.

Then there are the X5 guns. There are a lot of nice guns for the price point, what matters is how it fits and feels to you.

My first choice would be a P210, then down the list.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
You don't need to spend $2k - $3k for a "high end semi-auto". Take a look at the American P210 (P210A-9-TGT). It's less than $1500 everywhere, and the quality is first-rate, and that's no exaggeration. And, you have tons of money left for ammo. Smile

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Don't think I've needed to buy any of my firearms Smile Now wanting, that is another story entirely.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I've got a NOVAK BHP, An Ed Brown Kobra Carry and a Wilson, CQB 1911. I have been 100% happy with all three for many years. The BHP goes back 25 years, the other two 15 or so. Flawless, accurate and reliable.

https://ibb.co/hLVqU6

BUT...Another idea...Have something You like worked over by a name Smith.

I always liked CZ 75's but they are a bit crude out of the box. Had one totally redone by Cajun Gun Works, and the result is very satisfying.

Same with sending a SIG off to Gray guns or the SIG Armorer, Robert Burke.

Take a look at the CZ Shadow 2. IMHO for $1100 or so box stock, a poor mans X-5. Send it to Cajun and for $300 or so it's a work of art, trigger wise.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
You don't need to spend $2k - $3k for a "high end semi-auto". Take a look at the American P210 (P210A-9-TGT). It's less than $1500 everywhere, and the quality is first-rate, and that's no exaggeration. And, you have tons of money left for ammo. Smile

This. The quality of this gun IS superb.

And instead of spending the rest on ammo, you can go and add a CZ Custom SP-01 Shadow and have TWO superlative firearms for the price of one and definitely not be left wanting...at least for the time being. Wink

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of goingbroke
posted Hide Post
I would look for an excellent Wilson Combat pre-owned CQB and go with that and get you lots of ammo and look up a school where Larry Vickers is teaching!

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 5059 | Location: South of Atlanta | Registered: July 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I found a used Wilson Elite Professional. I did not feel I could swing the cost for a new one, so when this one appeared, I jumped on it. It was over $1k less than a new one and it is .38 Super.

IMO, there is a clear difference between this and other 1911's (regular production models) I have shot.

I wish you well and hope you will share your choice with us.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do what I did: Buy a Ruger SR1911 and then ship it off to Don Williams at The Action Works. Then spend the rest of your budget on ammo.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you don’t go the 1911 route I would suggest looking at the Beretta/Wilson offerings. Wonderful guns to shoot, well below the budget or you can get both models and still be in budget.

Sigs
S&Ws
Walthers
H&Ks
and a few others

Posts: 399 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since this is a Sig Forum and many are recommending 1911's why not consider:

https://www.sigsauer.com/store...arget-full-size.html

Or if you want a non-Sig:

http://cz-usa.com/product/dw-silverback-45-acp/

Just as reliable and worthy of completion use as any other 1911... just a bit more cost affective in my opinion.

Posts: 18 | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's with this P210 stuff? I thought he wanted a 45ACP. Cannot imagine accepting a 9 mm if I "Leaned" toward a 45ACP. I think he needs a custom 1911 or a Sig 220X6 or perhaps an HK Mark 23.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I like that Sig Full sized Target. Regarding .45, I just feel like .45 is the natural caliber for a 1911. While I like the capacity of 9mm and the ammo has come a long way,I am pretty accurate with my P320 but my best shooter is still my P220 Stainless Elite. I think the weight helps a lot with .45 and I am assuming a full sized 1911 would weigh around what a P220 Stainless does no? My SW 1911 is not a particularly good shooter for me but maybe it is too light.

:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Dan Wesson Valor and the balance on a progressive reloading press if you don’t have one already.

Gun only, I’d look at the Bruin in 10mm

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACP1:
What's with this P210 stuff? I thought he wanted a 45ACP. Cannot imagine accepting a 9 mm if I "Leaned" toward a 45ACP. I think he needs a custom 1911 or a Sig 220X6 or perhaps an HK Mark 23.

Umm, RIF. Not just reading but understanding, as well. Razz
quote:
Leaning .45acp but open to suggestion.

Lets hear it, I value the opinions here!

Leaning does not equal wanting. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
#'s, I understand but with a knowledge of semantics, one could interpolate that he wants a 45ACP. And, that is of course an opinion, which the OP values.

I had no intention to upset anyone nor to denigrate the wonderful P210.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I welcome all opinions. The good, the bad, and the ugly Smile

posted Hide Post
Just speaking for myself...Sig 210..... Classic with history !

The high end 1911s just don't do it for me. Don't know why....

Lot's of folks have high end 1911s...I've never seen a Sig 210 at a range...

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
If i had 2 grand, id get an HK MK23 again. And some mags and ammo. For $3k you could get one and a suppressor for it.

But im not in the 1911 crowd. Big Grin

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
I welcome all opinions. The good, the bad, and the ugly Smile

Well, since you asked...

Wink

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post