SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    High end semi-auto pistol, 2k-3k range...suggestions?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High end semi-auto pistol, 2k-3k range...suggestions? Login/Join 
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted
As the title says, planning a really nice pistol purchase in the next year or so. Open to any and all suggestions. I love my sigs (226, 229sas, 220, 320, 938), have a S&W 1911, others. Mine are the nicest pistols I have shot. I have dry fired a Les Baer, Dan Wesson, Wilson and the triggers feel like warm butter. I have not shot one and it is not likely I will be able to shoot what I want before I buy. I like stainless but not stuck on it. Want it to be beautiful in my eye, not small as I have large hands. Leaning .45acp but open to suggestion.

Lets hear it, I value the opinions here!

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I'll start with Ed Brown. Shown is a Special Forces Carry in 45 ACP.

Right side by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Ouch, that got expensive quick Eek

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ted yost browning hi power. Hands down

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig P220X6, maybe 3 to 5 thousand. SS, 45ACP, all made in Germany so far.

Posts: 1253 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Sig P210

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
I'll start with Ed Brown. Shown is a Special Forces Carry in 45 ACP.

Right side by GaryBF, on Flickr

If I were buying a ready-made gun for me, this would've been at the top of my list, though I'm partial to the two-tone version.

Another one I'd be interested in is the Nighthawk Hi-Power.

However, if time was not an issue, I would have a custom gun built for that price range. My first choice would be a Harrison Retro 1911:

A Hi-Power by Yost, Williams, or Garthwaite would also be on my "want" list.

Again, these would be the options I'd consider for myself if I were in your position.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's the point of your purchase? range gun? completion? what discipline? carry? what ranges?. It all helps to have some context.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Sig Sauer X-Six. The P220, not the P226. Plus you can get the 9mm conversion later.

Guessing the Brown isn't into SVI or Stan Chen territory. I'd like to say a nice 2011 but I would NEVER buy or suggest an STI based on their customer service alone. A Salient RED would fill the need that a Salient BLU would not (& vice versa).

I'm getting into the pistol-once-a-year thing myself. But if I'm looking for one knowing that it'll be extra spendy with agonizing wait times, I can't stop looking at having it imported from Europe, just because it makes more options available. Big Grin

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Not carry, more of a range gun. Possibly getting into competition if I get better. I suck at 3-gun pistol portion. Full frame seems to work in the 1911 category for me. Range, I only really shoot pistol out to 25 yards max and they are not small clusters Smile

posted Hide Post
I have had Ed Brown, Wilson, Les Baer, STI, SVI and of course Sig X5 allround.
I think my Ed Brown, two tone Kobra Carry was the prettiest, but, if I was going to shoot IDPA, USPSA, or 3-gun it would be a 2011.
I think SVIs are in a higher price range, plus, nobody ever wants to wait. I swore I would never shoot an "open" gun, but, as my eyes get worse, most of the time I shoot an open gun, or carry optics.

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I have owned some Les Baers and they are superb though not quite as refined as a Wilson. On the other side of the 45 spectrum is the HK Mark 23. It’s a tack driver and utterly reliable. A tank of a gun, perfect for a high quality fun range gun, and if ever needed, the apocalypse!

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
As for Ed Brown, I like the Kobra Carry and the Executive elite. How does the 4.25" barrel compare to the 5"? Sine it won't be used for carry I am assuming the 5" is more accurate and maybe more stable?

Not making a decision any time soon, just getting as many opinions as I can as I know little of the 1911 platform other than my P938's and a S&W I never shoot.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Sig Sauer X-Six. The P220, not the P226. Plus you can get the 9mm conversion later.

Guessing the Brown isn't into SVI or Stan Chen territory. I'd like to say a nice 2011 but I would NEVER buy or suggest an STI based on their customer service alone. A Salient RED would fill the need that a Salient BLU would not (& vice versa).

I'm getting into the pistol-once-a-year thing myself. But if I'm looking for one knowing that it'll be extra spendy with agonizing wait times, I can't stop looking at having it imported from Europe, just because it makes more options available. Big Grin

I love my STIs. Maybe it is luck of the draw but I have had good experiences with their customer service. They can be slow to respond sometimes but usually not more than a couple of days. I also love my SVI but they are crazy expensive. I like heavy guns so these are down my alley. I also like that 2011 mags pretty much fit all models, even though they are pricey. A bit less expensive, you can’t beat a cajunized CZ shadow or P-01 (the heavy cz’s).

Posts: 471 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Triangle Shooting Sports (Benny Hill)
My SVI is great, but out of that price range.

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
As for Ed Brown, I like the Kobra Carry and the Executive elite. How does the 4.25" barrel compare to the 5"? Sine it won't be used for carry I am assuming the 5" is more accurate and maybe more stable?

Not making a decision any time soon, just getting as many opinions as I can as I know little of the 1911 platform other than my P938's and a S&W I never shoot.

Both pistols should be the same, as far as mechanical accuracy, but, if you're planning on getting a pistol with iron sights, the longer sight radius will usually make you able to shoot it more accurately, which is why I went with a 6", for a limited gun. If you're going to have an optic on it, I think a little shorter pistol balances better.
Go shoot some 3-gun, and USPSA matches. Most shooters are more than willing to let you shoot their guns. If you think you'll be shooting 3-gun,an STI, DVC, 3-gun pistol, in 9mm is probably the best factory option, in your price range. You could probably find a lightly used, 6" in your price range.

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
If "beautiful" means the groups it shoots, Pardini GT-45.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
If you are not wanting to carry, then the full size 5 inch Ed Brown is better, IMO. This is a preowned custom 9mm. The optional frame checkering is really nice and grippy.

Right Side by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the P220 X-Six! Still my favorite gun. Most of the X-Series guns are excellent!

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
I don't compete but for occasional carry and range work I love my Knighthawk Custom Talon.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post