SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Wierd sights on P228
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wierd sights on P228 Login/Join 
posted
I have an early production Sig P228 that has sat on a shelf in the origninal box for 25 years. I recently took it out and inspected it and fired a few rounds through it. I found that it shot low, so I started looking to see what sights it had on it. The front sight was a number 8 signt as expected. However the rear sight is very odd. It is not numbered but rather says "N+". I have a picture of it and it is quite clear. It really does say N+. I called Sig in the US and they can't explain it at all, since production began in the US, every one has had number 8 sights front and rear. One guess was that letters refer to date codes for night sights. However, this handgun does not have night sights so it's not any sort of date code for the tritium. It is early production from W. Germany. I sent an email to the factory in Germany. I wrote it in English, so it may take some translation for them. I heve no idea whether they will respond or even if there is anyone there that knows the history. That was a week ago and they have so far not responded.

Does anyone have an explanation for what N+ might mean? Is there any reason to think this gun is more collectible because of it?

Posts: 1 | Registered: April 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Old P220s, the ones with a integral front sight machined into the slide came with rear sights marked N, N-, and N+ to the best of my recollection.

I had one for a time with a N+ rear. So basically SIG had 3 sights to choose from to ensure the weapon shot POA-POI, instead of the numbers the now use today.

It seems like someone used one of those on your P228 - for what reason I don't know (mistake, low stock, ?). And I have no idea how the N nomenclature relates to the numbers of today.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Sounds like another victim of the Sig Sauer parts bin. Sometimes Sig will put whatever parts are on hand to complete a gun. I had a 220 Sport stock with a 226 recoil spring once. I have seen some other mismatched guns like SAS frames with non SAS slides, 220 Sport short rail frames mated to 220 Carry slides, etc...

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
I called Sig in the US and they can't explain it at all, since production began in the US, every one has had number 8 sights front and rear. One guess was that letters refer to date codes for night sights. However, this handgun does not have night sights so it's not any sort of date code for the tritium. It is early production from W. Germany.
I have a couple of them, it's not a date code. As Rhinoso noted above, N sights are the old school sights originally used on the old, usually spur hammer, P220's. Can't say Ive ever seen a set of those on anything other than a P220. Numrich actually had them listed at one time several years back, but not any more.

A 25 YO P228 would have been fully assembled and proofed in Germany, if it has contrast sights, it shipped that way from Germany. There were some parts guns later on that were assembled here in the US, but those would be a minimum of 5 years after yours was made.

N-, N, and N+ sights on a P228 wouldn't make it any more or less valuable, certainly a production mistake though, I suspect.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I don't know if the convention still follows on current production rifles, but Swiss SAN SIG 55X rifle's front sights were marked in the same way (N-, N, N+) and could be replaced to adjust POI elevation.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
From an old armorer manual:

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
RearSight by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
This thread is worthless w/o pics Cool

OP - Please post images of your 25YO 'early production Sig P228' so that we may further assist you....More is Better! Wink

Also, please note the following from the SigSauer website:

"All SIG SAUER production duty/combat pistols are set up to use a “combat” sight picture. This is where the front sight completely covers the bullseye of the target. Using a six o'clock (“pumpkin on a post”) or center mass (“half'n'half”) sight picture will result in low impact."

Not sure if you're aware of this, but figured I'd share just in case this could be part of your issue.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post