SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Spare Magazine Pocket Carry
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spare Magazine Pocket Carry Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted
I've never been a fan of carrying a spare magazine in a front pocket because of all of the dust and lint that can get in.

However, I've run across two recently-developed devices that may change my mind. One is Snag-Mag, and the other is Ammo Armor. Does anyone on the Forum have experience with either product?

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I have an ammo armor.

I feel that the retention is way too tight for pocket carry, as you would have to pull the entire thing out, use two hands to pull the mag out of the "sheath" before inserting the mag into the gun.
IMO, there shouldn't be any retention at all.
I feel that the ammo armor is suited for spare mag storage such as in a bag or drawer, rather than on your body for immediate use.

I wear 5.11 jeans that have side pockets between the front and rear pockets that I use to carry my spare mag.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Desantis makes a great pocket mag holder.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
I have an ammo armor.

I feel that the retention is way too tight for pocket carry, as you would have to pull the entire thing out, use two hands to pull the mag out of the "sheath" before inserting the mag into the gun.
I feel that the ammo armor is suited for spare mag storage such as in a bag or drawer, rather than on your body for immediate use.

I wear 5.11 jeans that have side pockets between the front and rear pockets that I use to carry my spare mag.

There's an Ammo Armor video that shows a person ejecting an empty magazine, pulling the spare mag in the Ammo Armor out and placing it in the crook of his shooting arm, pulling the mag out and immediately inserting it into the pistol. It looked like a very quick and efficient way to reload that could be mastered with a little practice.

posted Hide Post
I carry mine in a mag holder on a belt. But I have used mags in various classes that have been thrown in dirt/mud/water/crap/etc. and never had an issue. In addition as part of my job I have been swimming with mags lots. never an issue. I think you are overthinking the problem. I can't imagine a pocket would create an unworkable mag. At least for any common duty mag.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
+1. Inexpensive & reliable option
quote:
Originally posted by whisky22:

Posts: 13809 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
quote:
I have an ammo armor.

There's an Ammo Armor video that shows a person ejecting an empty magazine, pulling the spare mag in the Ammo Armor out and placing it in the crook of his shooting arm, pulling the mag out and immediately inserting it into the pistol. It looked like a very quick and efficient way to reload that could be mastered with a little practice.

I don't know, it seems a bit more effort than I would want. I figured, if I need to reload my gun during a confrontation, I would want the least amount of steps to get those rounds into the gun ASAP.

I'll tell you what, If you carry a Glock, then send me your address and I will karma the Ammo Armor to you.
It's a well made product, but it just doesn't suit my needs, but it may fulfill yours.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whisky22:

+1. I use this when I carry the LCP (which is within a Nemesis):

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...magazine-nylon-black

This one with the CM9:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...magazine-nylon-black

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I carry mine in a mag holder on a belt. But I have used mags in various classes that have been thrown in dirt/mud/water/crap/etc. and never had an issue. In addition as part of my job I have been swimming with mags lots. never an issue. I think you are overthinking the problem. I can't imagine a pocket would create an unworkable mag. At least for any common duty mag.

Yeah, this. I dismissed pocket carry for many years. Now most days I carry a spare magazine in my front left pants pocket without any special magazine thingy. I carry my pistol appendix and a reload in my pocket. Two things I swore I'd never do.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MoreCowbell
posted Hide Post
I have the ammo armor for my spare mag.I was trained during dept quals malfunction drills to put the mag between our pinky and ring fingers while working the slide I use the same technique when I practice a reload with the ammo armor. I found the retention not that bad for that way.

Posts: 117 | Registered: January 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I use the wilderness tactical mag carrier for the pocket. I like it pretty good.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
quote:
I have an ammo armor.

I don't know, it seems a bit more effort than I would want. I figured, if I need to reload my gun during a confrontation, I would want the least amount of steps to get those rounds into the gun ASAP.

I'll tell you what, If you carry a Glock, then send me your address and I will karma the Ammo Armor to you.
It's a well made product, but it just doesn't suit my needs, but it may fulfill yours.

I appreciate the offer very much, but I have a P365.

Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I've used a snag mag for a few years now. It works just as designed. Easily conceals in the pocket but draws out effortlessly & is ready for presentation to insert into the firearm. I have a few of them for various pistols. It rides high in the pocket so I've never had any issues with it getting any pocket lint in or on it.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 705 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For 99% of the time, spare mag on my offside. When I use my Kangaroo Carry, there is a mag pouch built into it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Nothing 'tactical' about it, but I use a Meco Mag Pouch when pocket carrying my LCP, CM9, or CW380.

Carry it in an weak side pocket.
I can push the 'pouch' off with a finger when pulling it out of my pocket..

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using a Remora mag pouch in the pocket. It holds it upright and oriented. I wish I it was thinner, at least on one side toward the leg and that it had nicer rounded corners. It works well for single stack or S&W Shield mags but it adds too much for Glock mags.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
I’ve been using a Remora mag pouch in the pocket. It holds it upright and oriented. I wish I it was thinner, at least on one side toward the leg and that it had nicer rounded corners. It works well for single stack or S&W Shield mags but it adds too much for Glock mags.

The Remora is what I’m currently using, but I have the same issue as you regarding the bulkiness. This is why I’m considering the Ammo Armor.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
For my Seecamp LWS380, I'm fortunate enough to have a matching pocket holster and magazine pouch by Matt Del Fatti. A couple times a year he posts these as being "in stock." I've seen similar mag pouches offered by Milt Spark's Holsters on occasion.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also use the leather pocket sleeve. Mine are made by D.M. Bullard.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m a big fan of the Neomag.

Posts: 630 | Registered: September 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post