SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Found an M18 - but Can't Find Mags
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found an M18 - but Can't Find Mags Login/Join 
posted
I have wanted one of these for some time and they finally showed back up at the Marine PX. No chance to shoot it - or anything - yet due to CV19 but I'm very happy with it. Especially happy with the trigger pull, and the well-done and even finish on the slide.

But, the grip is huge, so I said, no problem, I'll order a Compact grip frame and a couple of 15-rd mags. That's when I realized - I'm slow Frown - that there are no Compact mags (SIG brand) out there. Don't know what happened since they won't work in the M17 or M18. I guess MecGar and whoever stamps them in the US is swamped with M17/18 mag orders. The M18 mags, BTW, have a little MecGar stamp on them, first I've seen that. The grip frame will be easier as I found a place that is selling modified and C-koted Compact modules for $60. Pricey but there's no place else to spend money on firearms around here!

Has anyone seen any quality (not ETS) Compact mags for sale?

Edited to add: Gents, Thanks for the info! Snake, I just ordered two mags from Academy. They had free shipping and the pics on the website showed 'Made in Italy' mags. I am not impressed, at all, with whoever makes the 365 mags for SIG so I hope to get MecGar. Either way, it'll be nice to downsize it occasionally and still keep the 17 and two 21-rd mags. Kinda sorta like having two pistols.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GeoJelly,

Posts: 419 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
https://www.academy.com/shop/p...320-compact-magazine

Not the best price around, but they are in stock and can be shipped.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the M18....Best of Luck finding add'l mags for it! Wink

With nearly 4 million NICS checks in June (yet another all-time monthly record set for nearly four months running), you'll have a hard time finding ammo, magazines and firearms anywhere right now! Actually, you're VERY Lucky to have found that M18, though it's possible SIG may be giving preference (as they should!) to orders from the .mil and military base PX's.

Thank You for your Service, Sir! Enjoy! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8786 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think 39.99 for factory Sig mag is a good price. Usually go meg-gar or something for $25ish, but the actually Sig branded mags are usually $45-50 I believe

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Osage County Guns has the 21 round mags in black or coyote brown for 43 bucks. If I had to pay full price, I'd opt for these.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Yep I picked one up yesterday. I find the trigger a bit like a sponge. Anyone know of any good triggers for this thing?

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can run 17 round magazines in it all day long. They'll protrude slightly beneath the grip, but so what?

Greg Cote (a member here, I believe) has Armscor P320 mags for twenty one bucks. I've bought a bunch of them, and they run just fine.

https://gregcotellc.com/cart/s...s8dusbfsdiutbscju076

The magazine for the M18 is the same magazine for the P320 in general; they come in 12 round, 15 round, and 17 round flavors. The 15 round magazine is for the compact grip, which is found on the M18. The higher capacity magazines work in smaller grip pistols, however, without any problem. Consequently, you can carry the pistol with a 15 round magazine inserted, and carry 17 round magazines (or larger) as spares.

Some have indicated issues with over-insertion damaging the ejector. I haven't seen this personally, but I take care when inserting magazines. It's said that if the slide is locked back and a magazine without something to stop it (baseplate) is inserted hard, it can bend the ejector. The solution is simple, seat the magazine to the "click" and no more and don't manhandle it, and problem solved.

If you want extra mags to carry or for the range, I'd look at 17 round or 21 round magazines. Alternately, you can also increase the capacity of what you've got with baseplates like Taran Tactical +5's. Those get used a lot for competition (I use them), but they'll serve you just as well defensively.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M18 and M17 both have a carry grip frame in medium - 17 round mags and short dustcover that is flush with a 4" slide. The compact grip frame in medium is basically the same, just shorter like G17/G19. If the grip is too fat, get a small carry module with manual safety cut from the Sig Store.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sns3guppy - Beg to differ, sir - but I think both the M17 and the M18 use the full grip module. I don’t have a 15-rd mag to check with, but I don’t think it will lock into my M18. I should have two 15-rd mags next week and will know for sure.

quote:
But, the grip is huge, so I said, no problem, I'll order a Compact grip frame and a couple of 15-rd mags.

My original, and current, plan is to get a Compact grip module to reduce this overall size of the pistol. And, thus, the need for 15-rd magazines.

Posts: 419 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're correct; it has the carry length grip module.

Why are you looking for 15 round magazines for it, then? They won't fit.

You'll need to purchase a compact grip module to use 15 round magazines.

The M18 uses a compact slide, and carry length (17 round) grip module. The M17 uses the full length slide with a carry length (17 round) grip module.

War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Why are you looking for 15 round magazines for it, then? They won't fit.

He said in both the original post and in the one directly above your last post that he is buying a compact grip module.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:

He said in both the original post and in the one directly above your last post that he is buying a compact grip module.

Then they'll fit. No need to guess.