SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What handguns will you miss?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What handguns will you miss? Login/Join 
posted
With parts drying up for certain pistols now days what pistols do you shoot less because of that? For me it is Gen 3 Smith and Wesson semi-autos. I now longer take one to the range and pound 500 rounds through one. Ruger P-series these are some of the best trunk guns I have owned. I know they have reputations as tanks but, all firearms will break with time and usage if used and loved. No parts support makes me sad...VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I still use my 3rd gen pistols for both serious purpose - daily carry and for fun/teaching. In over 27 years of use, I have only suffered 3 breakages.

A MIM mag catch on my LE Special order 4516 snapped like the cheap pot metal it is. I replaced it with a forged part from a 4566. Nary a problem since.

The frame cracked at the rail above the slide stop on a Value line 910 pistol. When it did the gun had over 19,000 rounds through it. I kept it as a "parts gun" and I more than got my money out of it.

And I had a sideplate break on another Value line gun. A 457 - with 9,000 rounds through it. The sideplate is/was readily available and I repaired it myself. I carry that gun several times a week and it gets shot monthly.

My point is, use the guns and enjoy them. Parts are available. They are on Ebay, Numrichs and GB. I have not found anything that can't be had yet.

And there is/was a persistant rumor that Apex, the company that makes all the parts to rebuild the shitty m&p guns and give them everything the factory couldn't be bothered to - good triggers, accurate barrels ect - is going to make 3rd gen parts.

So don't park your guns. Use them for what they were intended for. Should something break from use, odds are in your favor that it can be readily had. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The Apex rumor is alive and well with Randy Lee having a love for the Third Gen pistols and the 356 cartridge.

However, there is still no time line on any production.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
18DAI I killed a 5904 tons of rounds. Thanks VI

posted Hide Post
Ruger P guns and also 2nd and 3rd gen Smiths , I have a FBI matt finish 459 mint cond with no box , I would love to give it a good work out also a like new 645 I just do not get them out because of parts if needed .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am I the first to go HK P7? For shame!

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gaspipes
posted Hide Post
Bren 10's are pretty much collectors items now.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Posts: 1345 | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
My Beretta 96D Centurion w/Trijicon NS. Nothing special, one was my duty carry and I owned one for my CCW and for instruction.. Traded it off when we switched to Glocks.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Y’all already named mine:
HK P7M13
Bren Ten

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I miss the Smith&Wesson and Colt revolvers from the 60's and 70's. Even some of the S&W just past pinned and recessed were pretty good as far as shooters.

Posts: 987 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by villageidiot:
With parts drying up for certain pistols now days what pistols do you shoot less because of that?

I continue to shoot all my firearms. It makes no difference if parts are available or not

Why should we deprive ourselves of enjoyment just because something might, one day, possibly break?

If and when my firearms need a replacement part, I will deal with it at that time.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I probably should have worded my question better. The pistols I will miss are still loved and used. One is on my hip as I try to type(P90dc). No I do not own any pistol that has not been used. I was gifted a Colt WW 1 commemorative pistol yep it has scars and wears a pair of Pachmeyer rubber grips o the horror but, it sure shoots good with GI Ball even with the small sights. I will miss more than the two types I mentioned as time goes by but, I just don't beat the discontinued pistols to death as I did in my youth...VI

posted Hide Post
Browning Hi Power 9mm. I've owned both the MKIII and SLS models. Amazing pistols. Like a fool, I sold them for other projects. Now, they're simply too expensive to purchase again.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
quote:
Originally posted by villageidiot:
With parts drying up for certain pistols now days what pistols do you shoot less because of that?

I continue to shoot all my firearms. It makes no difference if parts are available or not

Why should we deprive ourselves of enjoyment just because something might, one day, possibly break?

If and when my firearms need a replacement part, I will deal with it at that time.

I agree with this philosophy.
Guys, they are just guns.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I miss the S&W 3913 and 3914. Despite Sig discontinuing the 239, I still see a market for these pistols.

I regularly have customers come into the gunshop asking for a metal framed small 9mm with a safety. The only thing I have to show them is either an older used gun, or one of the few new 239s we have left. Even though the 239 has no manual safety. If I show them a 225 - it is "too big, too heavy, no safety".

When I was instructing at the local range, a 3914 was my carry/teaching gun. Many females who had tried literally everything else - G43, LC9, Keltec, shield ect - would ask to shoot my gun. And then they would be off to the auction boards to buy one of their own.

Maybe if the current company posing as s&w gets bought out by a........gun company, they will offer these fine pistols again. Wink Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You only live once and there are no trailer hitches on a hearse soooo.... enjoy them now! If you have an affinity for a certain type of pistol, buy two if you can afford to. That will be a safe way to have a "complete set of spare parts".

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just rebuilt a Colt New Service that's been in the family since 1910. The .45 Long Colt ratchet was the toughest to find. I finally scored a serviceable one on ebay after 2 years of looking EVERYWHERE. I was also able to find a new old stock hammer spring, bolt spring, and ejector rod. There's even a company that makes stainless shims to cinch up the cylinder end shake on these.

Point being, you can always find parts with the advent of the internet...you just might have to look harder the longer you wait.

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I agree with this philosophy.
Guys, they are just guns.

Bingo.

Firearms can be bought & sold, used & abused, neglected, parted out, enhanced, lubed or left dry, kept locked up in a dark place, left out in the snow -- all without incurring divorce papers, a visit from social services or ASPCA, or a Senate hearing.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I have a pristine Smith M-52 that I shoot far less than I used to. I'm concerned over any breakage as parts are tough to find.

As Smith discontinues semi autos and magazines get tougher to find, THAT bothers me. Wish I would have bought SEVERAL more 1000 series mags and a few parts years back when they got discontinued.

Most of these concerns are simply me being my OCD self. In reality I probably have enough mags. But the THOUGHT that they are now unavailable bothers me.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
S&W 547.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post