SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ammunition Shortage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammunition Shortage Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have tons of reloading components . Takes me an hour to reload 350 9mm. Cost is 10 cents each, less as I have been selling most of the brass almost no one picks up at our range.
Just retired, I shoot almost every weekday .

Posts: 980 | Location: Portsmouth, NH | Registered: October 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarioG:
I have tons of reloading components . Takes me an hour to reload 350 9mm. Cost is 10 cents each, less as I have been selling most of the brass almost no one picks up at our range.

It used to be thought that if you're a reloader you never have to worry about running out of ammo. But just like ammo if you don't have the right inventory you're also out of luck. Right now primers are just as hard to come by as most ammo.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Bullets are going the same way as primers now - or at least the ones I use.

Xtreme Bullets are sold out of 9mm FMJ and Precision Delta is at least 3-4 months back-ordered in literally everything with no guarantee on that timeline.

Posts: 12541 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
If you don’t have what you need when these panics happen you likely will be SOL no matter what.

I have found having a variety of options helps but honestly you need to stockpile at least a little bit.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Wait, lemmee check. {climbs up mountain of ammo crates)

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
My 6 rounds of .38 lead round nose will do me fine. Six for sure. All I need. When you fall off those ammo boxes and break a leg and they fall on you who will be laughing then. Razz

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:

Xtreme Bullets are sold out of 9mm FMJ and Precision Delta is at least 3-4 months back-ordered in literally everything with no guarantee on that timeline.
Missouri bullets had plenty a day ago so if anyone is looking.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I went by a smaller shop earlier just to see. Pretty bare. Very, actually.

I don’t particularly NEED anything. I was kinda surprised that they were even out of .30-30 and .45-70 though.

I will stock up more again when the madness evens out. I’ve got enough for anything I expect to encounter, but like someone said earlier, I’d like to add a zero on the end...for the things I haven’t thought of encountering...

And during the next lull I need to add a .30+ caliber, semi-auto, battle style rifle.

For now, just researching and setting the cash aside so once it gets calmed down I’ll be ready. The biggest thing is not having a metric to aim for. 1,000 rounds? 10,000? Hmmm.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I went by a smaller shop earlier just to see. Pretty bare. Very, actually.

I don’t particularly NEED anything. I was kinda surprised that they were even out of .30-30 and .45-70 though.

I will stock up more again when the madness evens out. I’ve got enough for anything I expect to encounter, but like someone said earlier, I’d like to add a zero on the end...for the things I haven’t thought of encountering...

And during the next lull I need to add a .30+ caliber, semi-auto, battle style rifle.

For now, just researching and setting the cash aside so once it gets calmed down I’ll be ready. The biggest thing is not having a metric to aim for. 1,000 rounds? 10,000? Hmmm.

I plan to stock up also once things normalize again.......Also a mechanic buddy wanted a pocket pistol and did a job for me for $225 and I had an almost new S+W bodyguard 380 that I hated the trigger one and only paid $250 for it, so traded that to him.....want to get a LCP II once those become available locally again also to replace it.......it seems ammo prices go up more than inflation, so I'd rather collect ammo than silver coins in case SHTF. LOL

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is true. Lucky to have thousands of small pistol primers. Hopefully enough get through. Any my cousin hit an auction last year and has a truckload of primers. Can still get bullets. Just got thousands more of those in, in case.

quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by MarioG:

It used to be thought that if you're a reloader you never have to worry about running out of ammo. But just like ammo if you don't have the right inventory you're also out of luck. Right now primers are just as hard to come by as most ammo.

Posts: 980 | Location: Portsmouth, NH | Registered: October 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
The biggest thing is not having a metric to aim for. 1,000 rounds? 10,000? Hmmm.

Prior to this, I was working on my ammo stock. I keep it tight, .22, 9mm, 5.56. Ive got them all north of 5k-6k rounds each, but wouldn't you know it, I feel like I should have more.

So my advice is to use 10k as the benchmark, then re-eval.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Leaves you feeling a bit like Scrooge - don't want to let go of those little golden beauties and you always want more.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I used to think I was a little bit hoarder I had so much. Turns out I had the right amount as I haven't had the need to buy any in six plus months and I have been shooting a lot the past few months. Feel better about hoarding ammo now that i am starting to cut into the supply. Hoping it drops back down to 20 cents per 9mm some time soon but not counting on it.

Bought a lot of Sellier & Beloit for $175/1000 last year.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Plenty of .40 cal at reasonable prices where I shop. 9 and 45 prices are through the roof.

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
quote:
The biggest thing is not having a metric to aim for. 1,000 rounds? 10,000? Hmmm.

Prior to this, I was working on my ammo stock. I keep it tight, .22, 9mm, 5.56. Ive got them all north of 5k-6k rounds each, but wouldn't you know it, I feel like I should have more.

So my advice is to use 10k as the benchmark, then re-eval.

I am going to up my benchmark. I have a shit ton of ammo, but now I am afraid to shoot it because I don't know how I am going to replace it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to drift the thread too much; but if guys have been following the fixed blade knife thread in Essential Edge; I'm finding a number of good survival (tactical if push comes to shove) knives are out of stock also. Folks I know are scrambling for good HD ammo, and can't find much if any.

Posts: 3212 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I’m at 5-6K of 9MM and 5.56...over 25K of .22 and lots of .22 WMR, .32 and 5.7x28. Need to bring it up to 10K for core calibers and 5.7 (use 5.7 for home defense carbines). Thought I had enough, but yeah no.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, during shortages I find myself shooting whatever caliber I can find...gets me practice on my lesser-used firearms, usually.

That said, if anyone has a line on a nice Marlin 1894 variant, I'm looking for one for my son. He's young, but gravitates toward more "classic" type firearms, but darned if I can't even find a "classic" firearm! I mean, I'm not surprised ARs and Glocks and such are hard to find, but a lever action Marlin? That was a surprise...

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:

Snake - You have mail Sir....Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
So here we are a little more than a year since the last post to this thread and, by the looks of a certain big box' shelves when I stopped by this afternoon (completely empty), the ammo shortage continues pretty much unabated?

I'm not hurting, right now, but I will be, some day, if I don't offset what I shoot with replenishment.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post