SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ammunition Shortage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammunition Shortage Login/Join 
posted
Looking at various on line ammunition sellers, I notice that 380ACP, 9mm, 40SW, and 45ACP are all in short supply. I presume this related to the COVID-19 situation, but I am unclear how hoarding pistol ammo will save people from the virus. Or are the preppers stocking up for the great calamity?

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Maybe they're looking for something to barter for toilet paper.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Maybe if you have some chicken or pork for trade.

Most of us have been buying during the 'good times' when things are calm and common sense prevails. We're beyond that so it's to late now...

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First the virus and people thinking things could decline to some sort of zombie apocalypse ( prepped tin foil hats)
Second the wave of violence after the Floyd things has people justifiably on edge.
Third, has ( don’t know the answer) but have ammo factories cut back production during the shutdown?
I always keep a couple thousands rounds worth of reloading components handy as a back up when ammo gets scarce

Posts: 3271 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It's been reported many times that gun sales were highly elevated a couple of months ago as well. I believe that some sort NCIS record was set. More gun sales = more ammunition sales. And once shortages start, people don't back off on buying; it automatically increases.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good online source, Target Sports Supply. I foolishly let my 9mm JHP supply run dangerously low. Nothing affordable online. This company got in Federal 9mm 9BP 115 grain JHPs for 16.99 a box. They've gotten it in twice during the pandemic. I got two orders of 500 each. With shipping and tax it came out to about $19 per 50.

Posts: 4652 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you missed the last few runs on ammo and guns as well. Whenever people think it will be in short supply, it will be in short supply.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
This is due to the rioting which is spreading and lack of police protection where the riots are happening including much violence and murders along with talk that the rioters want to go further into the suburbs to loot homes and take what belongs to them. Reports are also that gun stores are extremely busy again the last few days.

I have been stocking up the last couple years during the "buy cheap and stack deep" period where I was able to also get a lot of Federal American Eagle 9MM 124 and 147 at about $7 a box of 50 after rebate. I did not stock up to fight a virus or for a calamity, I just wanted to have a good stock of ammo at good prices for range trips even through ammo droughts or period of high ammo prices like that last one that lasted almost three years.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Maybe they're looking for something to barter for toilet paper.
Ammunition can always get you food, water, shelter, TP... Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Riots

9mm ammo at psa has doubled.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
My local guy has a store full of Glocks, Tauruses, Rugers and other yoeman guns. And next to no ammo. Glad I'm already stocked up.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
A couple of weeks ago, guns and ammo started being replenished in local stores. The past week of unrest has triggered the 2020 gun panic buy 2.0. My local FFL said he sold 27 guns yesterday alone. Ammo pretty much followed.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
22 will become scare as many were pulled from those lines to manufacture centerfire calibers.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Yup, riots. On Saturday I filled a cart at SGAmmo, got distracted and forgot about it until yesterday. Nothing I had in my cart was left in stock.

Here in FL even if you have a carry permit they still call in for a background check. On Saturday it took 4 hours. Yesterday I was told just to come back today. I’ve never waited more than 45 minutes or so.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
This is due to the rioting which is spreading and lack of police protection where the riots are happening including much violence and murders along with talk that the rioters want to go further into the suburbs to loot homes and take what belongs to them. Reports are also that gun stores are extremely busy again the last few days.

I just wanted to have a good stock of ammo at good prices for range trips even through ammo droughts or period of high ammo prices like that last one that lasted almost three years.

The rioters going to suburbs is rumor being spread by white nationalist group. Check out Fact Check.org
https://www.factcheck.org/2020...VOD5HMOSuJk1VpCQ7zp8

Really agree with you about having a stock on hand, gives a person freedom to go shooting when many are out of ammo.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Plenty of 45GAP locally Big Grin

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
This shortage started months before the civil unrest.
My BIL bought a Gen 5 G17 2 months ago and couldn't find any ammo locally that wasn't price gouged.

He came by the house and I gave him 100 rds of WWB and 50 rds of 147gr Gold Dots..
I haven't bought, or needed to buy, ammo in 2 years..
The Obama presidency taught me my lesson.
Buy a lot when it is cheap and available..

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I was at my favorite LGS on Monday. 9mm JHP was scarce. However, .40 S&W, 45ACP and .223 were available. Having multiple calibers is not a bad idea IMO to protect yourself when a run occurs.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The shops around here are getting ammo in and the prices are still good .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beanhead:
A couple of weeks ago, guns and ammo started being replenished in local stores. The past week of unrest has triggered the 2020 gun panic buy 2.0. My local FFL said he sold 27 guns yesterday alone. Ammo pretty much followed.

This ^^ I thought everything was back on track. We were starting to see a couple guns we hadn’t seen since covid started and were starting to be able to get stock. Then riots started and back to nothing. We’ve had to raise our prices because our cost has gone up on many of the products since covid started so a dollar or 2 more a box isn’t ideal but it is what it is. I’ve had multiple people tell me the last couple days how much they paid for Ammo other places and my jaw almost hit the floor ($3 a bullet for 5.56, $1.50rd for 9mm). I understand supply and demand and if someone is willing to pay $3 a bullet for 5.56 I guess let them, but that’s gone too far imo.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post