SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ammunition Shortage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammunition Shortage Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Walker:
Looking at various on line ammunition sellers, I notice that 380ACP, 9mm, 40SW, and 45ACP are all in short supply. I presume this related to the COVID-19 situation, but I am unclear how hoarding pistol ammo will save people from the virus. Or are the preppers stocking up for the great calamity?

Cause? Covid and the current rioting unrest. Protecting their mountain of teepee and hand sanitizer for the former, themselves for the latter. At the shop we had a brief window of calm when people started panicking over finding their next supply of meat...(sigh)...and now the unshriven hoards are back again (double sigh).

We've been selling cases of ammo lately, which is some feat given the usual complacency our regular customer base has. But just like paper towels and nitrile gloves were last month, ammo is now that hot ticket item to be well stocked up on. Of course they come to this realization at the most inopportune of times. People are just so slow to learn.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
People are just so slow to learn.

Wait, you mean this has happened before? Who knew? Maybe I'd better go check the ammo dump. 'cept I can't get in it because of the stacks of ammo piled up. I have an idea. Listen to brother Para. Go to his sermons and listen carefully. But only if you don't move a lot. Moving ammo is a real pain in the ass.

Get in shape. Lugging a full .50 cal can isn't good for your health. And a confession here: I actually have empty .50 cal can's! But I'm too cheap to fill them all right now. I'm sort of unemployed. The nice term is retired. And I do have a job, but it only pays a grand a month. Well, I have my Uncle Sugar pouring so much money in my checking account its crazy.

There is a progression that shooters, hunters, and the insecure follow. It starts when the closet shelf collapses. Then your wife makes you move it all to the floor. Then to the basement or garage(bad idea). Then to the old safe that you've outgrown, but before you fill it with guns too. Ya gotta take that last step at the right time. Finally you get smart and just start filling .50 cal cans to the brim. But a word of warning. Buy them in bulk (like the ammo). They cost too much in ones and twos. At least 10 at a time, but not by the 100s.

Don't waste money on gym memberships. Just carry ammo cans full of 9mm or whatever. You'll also discover components aren't cotton balls. Nothing wrong with primers and cases. Even powder is light by comparison. Its those damn bullets that'll kill you. Smile Who knew?

So a workaround pops up. Take your adult son along to gun shows, and an extra key to the truck. Issue that to the son. He's young and needs exercise walking out and back. Toting the stuff you've bought but are too lazy or sorry to do it. Then take him home with you. Its why you meet at your house, not his. Buy him supper to pay for the labor! All these rules! Smile Just common sense. I have more if you can stomach them.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Seems like the 9mm is all the rage. Maybe it’s not the time to push the 40 aside, or 357/38.

I like my 41 mags too.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
It's best to set a "back in stock" alert on websites that allow it. Then JUMP on it as soon as they have it back in stock. I have plenty of most calibers, but just ordered a case of 00 buck (which is on the way now). I also reload and have components for several thousand rounds. I don't reload shotshells though.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good one Richard. Just for peace of mind everyone should purchase a suitable firearm and get professional training. We can rest easy, the “suburbs” message is being spread by white nationalist groups. https://www.factcheck.org/2020...1D46dRTZHJQpx1jGFrD4

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So come to the suburbs. My neighbor on one side builds AR's and cerakotes. My neighbor on the other has a jeep with MolonLabe" on the side and a locking rifle rack. We could probably start an infantry platoon with people on my block.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Riots

9mm ammo at psa has doubled.

PSA has been gouging since the beginning. They are just another Cheaper Than Dirt.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...430098074#7430098074

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plenty of 45GAP locally Big Grin
Have you tried using 45 GAP in the 45ACP? While not recommended, I have. And it works fine. Just another option to think outside the box.

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 367 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Walker:
Good one Richard. Just for peace of mind everyone should purchase a suitable firearm and get professional training. We can rest easy, the “suburbs” message is being spread by white nationalist groups. https://www.factcheck.org/2020...1D46dRTZHJQpx1jGFrD4

They have already been looting some stores in the suburbs, nicer ones too, around here so the concern is very real and the suburban residents have taken notice. The looters seen/shown on video were not white.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More riots = people start to understand what is important, and then question what policies the democrats push. This bring more voters to our side of the table, so is very helpful, especially in an election year.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been stocking up on ammo since a little before the Obama administration, it has paid off big time. Had gone through several shortages and panic buying. Not to mention the steadily price increase, ammo on itself has been a great investment, now with everything that is happening I think that the supply of components and ammo itself will be heavily affected. All I can say is good luck to us.

Posts: 929 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
Like everyone here knows, learns, lives: buy over time, especially when you don't need. Then you can be like Scrooge McDuck walking in the ammo storage!

Maybe its a sickness, but its better/more useful than scrapbooking!

Smile Rburg: ^^^great advice. Got a son home lugging boxes.

maybe we need a new discussion: "You know you're an ammo hoarder when...."

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
My local gun stores have plenty of 55 grain .223 and FMJ 9mm. JHP 9mm, 22 LR, 62 grain and JHP .223/5.56, 12 gauge slugs and buckshot are sparse at best. I was surprised the 12 gauge was gone as during the last run, you could still find it fairly easily. It may be because factories are/were shut down. But then, hunting loads are easily found. JHP for .40 S&W, 10mm and 45 ACP are mostly available.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Here I thought I was Scrooge McDuck! OK, I just adopted his methods. My sickness started way back in the 1990s when Slick became raper in chief. Lucky for us, he only ruled moderately. Back in the old days, when I was a productive member of society and worked for a living, one of my duties was to head north and check on a building. Everyone was warned not to question where Dick was because he was dispatched by the owner on a "mission".

I already worked so much OT that it didn't matter. And I took my lunch minutes (we didn't offer hours) as part of the driving. I hit a drive thru and ate along the way. But then when Obasmo was anointed, I started making a stop at WallyWorld to see if I could find any 22s. Worked well for me, sort of. Between the election and Christmas, I accumulated enough!

Centerfire I just bought primers, powder and bullets. Even some brass to stuff. Its just what everyone should do. Sure, I have some factory ammo. But I don't shoot it up, that's what reloads work best for. I no longer buy factory ammo except in unusual circumstances. Those being like when I foolishly add in a new caliber. Like 32 Winchester Special.

I even suffer a bit before adding on. I've got enough oddball calibers. The tipping point is when a great deal presents itself.

Its now news to me that there is an ammo shortage. How would I know? Wally World is closed, well to me because I hate crowds. The wife picks up drug store stuff. You say the shelves are wiped clean? You mean like disinfectant? Well, mine have dust from me not shooting enough.

Besides, ammo goes bad after a few months, just like milk, meat, and veggies. They should put a warning on all ammo boxes. Unsafe after 3 months, time to sell to Dick for disposal.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Ammunition shortage? Well, around here, we are well supplied. I haven't bothered to look online since the last time I stocked up, when ammo was super-cheap and plentiful meow.

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I'm still nursing the pile I acquired before the last election Eek

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:

Here in FL even if you have a carry permit they still call in for a background check. On Saturday it took 4 hours. Yesterday I was told just to come back today. I’ve never waited more than 45 minutes or so.

What? Background checks for ammo? In Florida???

---------------------------------
I know my nation best. That's why I despise it the most. And I know and love my own people too, the swine. I'm a patriot. A dangerous man --Edward Abbey

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say "I want to see the manager." - William S. Burroughs

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy cheap, stock deep.

When things are boring, nothing going on in the news, just regular crazy everyday America going about its usual business, stay vigilant for sales, especially during any/all federal and inconsequential holidays (Valentines, Mothers/Fathers Day, etc) when online suppliers may also toss in free shipping. Stock up and think forward, at least a year or two. Prices can be very very good at times. Just need to monitor and buy before you need or the next crises.

Buy cheap. Stock deep.

And get on all the emails lists of all the great online suppliers.

---------------------------------
I know my nation best. That's why I despise it the most. And I know and love my own people too, the swine. I'm a patriot. A dangerous man --Edward Abbey

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say "I want to see the manager." - William S. Burroughs

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post