SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ammunition Shortage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammunition Shortage Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
They do background checks for ammo in Florida now? Or did I misunderstand?
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Yup, riots. On Saturday I filled a cart at SGAmmo, got distracted and forgot about it until yesterday. Nothing I had in my cart was left in stock.

Here in FL even if you have a carry permit they still call in for a background check. On Saturday it took 4 hours. Yesterday I was told just to come back today. I’ve never waited more than 45 minutes or so.

No, not for ammo. Sorry I was not clear, I was buying guns and they do BG checks on those.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15250 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I should hope that any member of this forum would have at least a small reserve in supply, so that if they did have to wait a day or two or more to purchase ammunition, it would be nothing more than a mild irritation.

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
im not a horder by any means i like to have a few boxes per gun on hand in case i feel like going to the range.. no problem getiing what i need delivered to my frt door ordering online .. i do like to buy local but waiting 30 min in line to get in a store to find out they dont have what i need gets
old quick

Posts: 52 | Location: pennsylvainia | Registered: July 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
You should NEVER own a flashlight or toy without batteries.......just saying.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7668 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just finished off an order. That should hold me over for a while.

I went ahead and ordered 100rounds of 6.5 swede, 1k 556,1k 40sw,1k7.62x39,1k22lr, and subsonic for the 200rounds 7.62x39.

Everything was at my upper end of what I am usually willing to pay. so, that cost me about 20% more than I would normally pay for the same ammo. Okay I'll bew truthful, i normally by steel cased almost exclusively. Other than 308 , 6.5swede and 22lr. I was forced to buy brass case, and that accounted for most of that 20%.

All that being said, i spent some time looking. Most of the online places are sold out. Friday my daughter was working at the LGS, their 3 primary distributors were OOS. Not just allocated, but OOS. I tend to think most of that was the covid fear, the riot fear, and the 4th. I am betting we will see ammo roll back in over the next few months. Will it be as cheap as it was, I doubt it. not for a while.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
single shot revolvers in 45Colt.

I would think that a single shot revolver would be pretty desirable, if for no other reason than being very rare. Wink

Got me! I meant single action.

I’ll go fix it.

Smith made a few target 'revolvers' that were single shot,

based on the top break revolver lower end or frame,

and didn't Ruger make a revolver that was single shot, the sides of the cylinder were cut away, but it still rotated or flipped open?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
single shot revolvers in 45Colt.

I would think that a single shot revolver would be pretty desirable, if for no other reason than being very rare. Wink

Got me! I meant single action.

I’ll go fix it.

Smith made a few target 'revolvers' that were single shot,

based on the top break revolver lower end or frame,

and didn't Ruger make a revolver that was single shot, the sides of the cylinder were cut away, but it still rotated or flipped open?

That would be the Ruger Hawkeye of the mid '60s. Smile

Posts: 3210 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did someone say “steel”? Too soon? Lol

I have a big match coming up that got delayed. I was going to shoot in two stages but I winnowed it down to one. I’m not willing to pay the current prices so I’m down to shooting a couple boxes of 9 and lots of 22 right now. If I was only seeing a 20% increase I would buy but literally my go to rounds have gone from low 100’s to 330 per case. Nope nope nope.

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig Pro Shop brings in pallets of ammo and it sells out quickly. They had 200rd value boxes of 9mm FMJ this week for $68. I recently purchased a revolver at Bass Pro and the "instant" checks in NH had a 24hr+ wait time.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
Smith made a few target 'revolvers' that were single shot ....

Not if the original (or current) definition of “revolver” means anything. Merely because they resembled revolvers in the shape of their grips, frame, and barrel didn’t turn them into revolvers any more than what an AR-15 type carbine looks like turns it into an assault weapon.

When I was I kid my family had a Savage model 101 single shot pistol that looked even more like a revolver than the S&W or Ruger models. It had a fake cylinder that was even fluted to contribute to the appearance. It wasn’t a revolver either, though, because nothing revolved to present a new cartridge for firing.

Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Running out of places to store it. Razz

Posts: 5582 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I noticed that Outdoor World has most of the normal pistol calibers of ammo back in stock. WWB, Feder AE, UMC etc......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
Running out of places to store it. Razz

Yup, I had to get a few more ammo cans.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was lucky enough to score a bunch of ammo last year and also before the panic got into full swing. I’ve even managed to find a few deals recently in both bulk and defense ammo.

Posts: 28 | Location: Fort Worth Texas | Registered: January 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Went looking for 10mm this week. Hadn't stocked much, because I hadn't intended to shoot 10mm much. Holy smokes! Nobody with whom I checked had any range ammo in stock. Underwood had only SD ammo in stock.

But put alerts on certain things at a couple places. Much to my surprise: Target came through, just now, so I've a case of S&B that should soon be on its way Smile

Guess I'll need a couple more ammo cans <smh> Didn't really want to pile 10mm this deep, but that search a couple days ago was a bit... disquieting.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^
Yea, me too. I'm low on 10mm as I never considered it as something to really worry about. I've plenty of .223 but was able to score 500 rounds of 62 grain GDHP at $10 per box of 20 a week or so ago. It was too good a deal to pass up.

Posts: 12458 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Reassurance from Hornady, with some welcome comedy relief.

I've been watching prices and they're even higher now than they were a month ago. I think we need to take a 'probably next year' view of when this craziness will abate. It depends upon the outcome of the upcoming election and how long before a sufficient percentage of the US population gets completely fed up with being treated like cattle in an Anthrax outbreak.

My advice to everyone is to collect your brass when you go shooting, because even if you're not a handloader and have no plans to handload, you may find that eventually, you will start doing so.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I have thousands of rounds of 9mm and 5.56 but that goes fast if my wife and kids spends a day practicing. We are switching to more .22 training and .22 mag through PMR30 and .22 auto handguns. Still shooting 9, just less. This will take a while to resolve and I have years worth of .22. You can still pick up some ammo reasonably so I keep my eyes open - picked up some .22 WMR and steel case 5.56 for basically normal prices this week...though that too may dry up.

As Para suggests, looking into handloading options ... never did it before but guess now is a good time to learn. Thanks for the video.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I'm glad that I purchased as much as I did when it was easy to find.

I have a neighbor who has never owned or shot a firearm in his life. But recent events have convinced him that he needs a gun for home defense if nothing else. He was talked into a P365sas and (probably) lucky he found one locally. The shop sold him some inflated price 9mm ammunition. But again, probably lucky that he found that.

I spent a couple of hours with him showing him how to break the sas down and lube it. He's signed up for a one week class at Gunsite so he also purchased their 'ammunition package'. I think he's in for a workout with the little pistol and hope it doesn't discourage him.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: az4783054,

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I'm probably going to get a reloading press somewhat soon.

In 2016, it seems the manufacturers increased production for fear of a win by the person who lost. That led to a surplus of supply following the election and prices dropped significantly. I'm wondering if manufacturers are going to taper production this election cycle to avoid prices dropping like they did 4 years ago.

Posts: 13085 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post