SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W Revolver gunsmith
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W Revolver gunsmith Login/Join 
Picture of TAP
posted
Who are the recommended gunsmiths for S&W revolvers, specifically the modern models for action jobs, tuning and finishes?
I have a 686+ I want to have the action/trigger worked on and have it refinished.

Posts: 831 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
What all for action work do you want done and what finish do you want? Email me at spetrasic(at)gmail. I still do work occasionally and the only revolvers I liked working on was double action S&W's.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Icestud
posted Hide Post
I had Don Williams at The Action Works do an action job on my M66, I'm very happy with the work he did

Posts: 78 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAP:
Who are the recommended gunsmiths for S&W revolvers, specifically the modern models for action jobs, tuning and finishes?
I have a 686+ I want to have the action/trigger worked on and have it refinished.
As to refinishing, I think it would depend upon the finish you desire.

If I were going for a re-blue and chose not to use the factory, I would probably send it to Fords.

If I wanted a highly corosion resitent duty finish, I would send it off to Robar for their NP3 or to CCR for their CP-II

Color Case Hardend would go to Doug Turnbull.

Cerekote would go to almost anybody

After typing all of this I went and re-read your post. Now I see you have a 686. Anyone can bead blast or polish a 686. It does not even need to be a gunsmith. That is the advantage of stainless, it has no applied finish

As to action jobs, for Sport, Duty or carry? If not going to the factory for a duty action job, Cylinder and Slide or Power Custom would be right up there.

If he is still taking work, I would use Walt Sherman who does the best DA job imaginable. Great for the various revolver combat courses. However Walt's roller bearing conversion is expensive

As to "tuning" I am not sure what you are asking

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I had my M29 done by Alex Hamilton at Ten Ring Precision. It is hands down the smoothest action on a revolver I have felt, he also installed new sights and magna ported it.

Don Williams is also great, he did my BHP and it great.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the action and trigger, can't say enough for North Virginia Gun Works! Sandy Garrett did an incredible action job on my 625-3. He recontoured and polished the trigger as well; after picking the 625 up, I couldn't put it down, dry firing incessantly. Shooting was even better!

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
If Randy Lee at Apex is doing revolvers again, he does great work.

Posts: 5722 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I talked to Randy last week and he asked me to not ask him to do an action job on one of my L-frames...of course, I couldn't, but I wanted to beg.

Posts: 559 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Cylinder & Slide did a trigger job on my 638 that is still fantastic to this day, I had this done in 2005 or so.

Posts: 13676 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
There's some shop south of Portland in one of those little nothing towns between Portland and Salem. Wish I could think of it, but the guy is good and competent. He won't screw up your gun. He's well known for complicated repairs.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10889 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
There's some shop south of Portland in one of those little nothing towns between Portland and Salem. Wish I could think of it, but the guy is good and competent. He won't screw up your gun. He's well known for complicated repairs.

Rich's gun shop in donald oregon.

Owners name is lee.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for NoVA Gun Works in Springfield, VA. Been using Sandy Garret over 20 years now.
I think I funded the new addition on his house.

Posts: 102 | Location: Mentor, OH | Registered: March 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1449 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa: ...

colt_saa, give the guy some suggestions, will you please? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post