SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P227 Any good?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P227 Any good? Login/Join 
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted
I find myself presented with a P227. It has the 10 round mags. Did they ever work out the bugs with the 14 round mags?

P227 owners - how are these pistols? Relible? Accurate? Do they work with 220 leather? Any problems with them?

I know they have been discontinued. Was it lack of sales/interest or something else? Thanks for any and all info on these. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did they ever work out the bugs with the 14 round mags?

No. The 10-rounders I've got have consistently worked fine.

Couldn't tell you about leather; I almost immediately popped a Match upper on mine and it fits the Match holsters I've got from Uncle Mike's and Blade Tech.

Try it at the range (obviously, I suppose). Mine came with night sights regulated to SIG's BS "combat sight" set up and shot absurdly low. SIG CS told me they were regulated by aiming at the top of a 6" circle at 15 yards. I don't know whether anyone ever had the same problem with non-night sights.

I'm not entirely sure they were actually discontinued. They're not in the online catalogue but are still available NIB out in the marketplace.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Reliable.
10-rounder, good.
14-rounder, stay away.
Discontinued.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
I have one, I really like it and the 10 rounders are completely reliable, as it the gun. I could never get the 14-rounder to work in my gun, but there are plenty of people for whom they worked fine.

Mine would seat, but then drop out when fired. If they don't do that, then you're one of the ones for whom they work. If you don't have any 14 rounder, stay away, if you have them just try them before you buy any more. If you can find them.

I think the low sales was lack of interest. The 8 round P220 is just too venerable to be usurped. However, I found the ten round grip to fit my hand very well and I don't have big hands.

I guess people who wanted at 10+ round 45 went with HK or Glock.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Great gun. Like the others have said stick with the 10 round mags. I have a P227 Carry and P229R holster fit just fine on it. Some of my P220 holster work for it, some don't.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PA State Police bought about 5000 of them. They seem to do well with them. They use 10 round mags thought, don't know about the 14 rounders personally.

Posts: 276 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
The P227 came into the game at the wrong time. P220 shooters have been asking for a WideBody version of the P220 since the P226 was introduced decades ago

Today, shooters was smaller pistols

I LOVE my P227, it is what I have been waiting or from SIG in terms of a 45 ACP pistol

As to magazines, we can thank the P320 folks for the mod that adds 1 more round to each mag, just change out the giant base plate locking piece for one that is flat like the P226 magazines

All of my newer 15 round magazines work perfectly since SIG had mag catch groove moved. The older design extended mags were a bit temperamental

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cokehockey
posted Hide Post
Love my P227 Carry. Never a malfunction! She's been good to me, so I carry her everyday. I still want to try and get my hands on a 14 rounder.

““My mother always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana.” —Betty White

Posts: 102 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: February 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I enjoy my P227 SAS very much. It's a solid shooter and have never had any issues with it. I only have 10 round mags. I wasn't interested in the 14s after hearing all the ongoing problems with them.

I don't care for the E2 grips and changed them out for the G10s.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless it is a 1911, 45's don't sell all that well
these days: but 227 is a g great gun!

www.OrdnanceOutsellers.com
jerry@OrdnanceOutsellers.com

770-977-0662

Posts: 5227 | Location: Marietta, Ga. | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
colt_saa that 227 of yours is beautiful.

Thanks all for the pictures and info! I may be getting a 227. Regards 18DAI

Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cokehockey:
Love my P227 Carry. Never a malfunction! She's been good to me, so I carry her everyday. I still want to try and get my hands on a 14 rounder.

I have a carry too. For a while I had a tinge of buyer's remorse. Been shooting more 230 gr. FMJ ammo .The gun, even with the 3.9 inch Bbl. Shoots more to point of aim , and way more accurately with good ole' 230's.
I found that fixing the 14 rd. Mag. With Wolf 10%+ stronger spring,(Para Ord.designed) The stronger spring and 230 gr. Ammo , makes my extended 14 rd.mags. work (so far, so good)

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.

Posts: 182 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fondled a new 227 SAS several years ago at a gun show, but ended up walking away. In the end, it was too niche and would likely have found its way to the back of the safe. No regrets. I have a DW Guardian.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ordnance Outsell:
Unless it is a 1911, 45's don't sell all that well
these days....

That may be the case in your area, but that is not 100% true.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
If the 14 round magazines would have worked, I would have been all over one.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was at the "Nation's Gun Show" yesterday in Chantilly, VA and handled a NIB P227 SAS (carry). It felt better than I remembered. Same issue, it would become a safe queen. So I walked away again.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usmc-nav
posted Hide Post
I purchased the 227 SAS Carry when it first came out. A forum member, Mississippi Gal, helped me with the purchase. I have carried it often and its not bad to carry. Has it been discontinued ?

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I thought about them when they first came out but there's not much point owning a 14 round gun that only holds 10 reliably.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
That 227 SAS looks like what I want. Having worked Robbery/Homicide for almost 20 years, capacity is not a concern of mine. Based on experience, I will have prevailed or come in 2nd place in FAR LESS than 10 rounds. And yes, I know about the officer Gramins. Wink

usmc-nav the 227 was discontinued. Grab a NIB example while you can! Smile Regards 18DAI

posted Hide Post
I love the P227 and had been hoping Sig would make a double stack for years. When they finally came to be, I could not buy due to CA's communists laws. I finally got one legally this year and am very happy. Wish it came with standard grips...not a fan of the E2s. As far as leather goes, the upper is the same dimension as the P226 and my P227 fit perfectly in all my P226 holsters.

Sig P226R 9mm/40/357/22
Sig P226 357/40/9/22
Sig P6
Sig P228
Sig P229R DAK 357/40/9
SigPro 2340 40/357/9
SigPro 2022 40/357/9
Sig P938 9mm/22lr
Sig P227
Sig M18
Sig P365

Posts: 790 | Location: Los Angeles, CA & SLC, UT | Registered: April 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post