SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Getting back to what you know...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting back to what you know... Login/Join 
Have Camera - Will Travel
Wire Gonzo, Far Bombay
posted
The thread about the venerable Beretta 92 got me to thinking. Like a lot of shooters, over the past 25 years, I have cycled through a LOT of handguns for daily carry. Usually, they were aligned with whatever the LE agency I was working for issued or was authorized. But other times, I got infatuated with something new and went a completely different route (the Browning BDM; H&K P7; and H&K P13 being prime examples). For a while, I was an avid collector/carrier of S&W 3rd generation pistols of a variety of models and calibers.

The Beretta 92 was the first semi-auto pistol I carried as a LEO. Having come from a much beloved Model 66, I was doubtful. By the time I finished training, I had complete faith and confidence in both the platform, and my ability to use it effectively. Compared to the generations of hi-cap 9mm pistols that have come along since then, it is big, heavy, and not easy to conceal. But it is accurate, solid, dependable, and smooth to run. I eventually ended up carrying a Beretta 96 and that was the pistol I shot the NRA Distinguished Pistol Master course with.

I was first introduced to the Sig P-series when I went to work for a federal agency and was issued the P228. Again, by the time my training was complete, I had complete faith and confident in the system and my ability to use it. Eventually we transitioned to the P229 in .357Sig and then the P229 DAK in the same caliber. Then, a few years ago, we transitioned to the Glock 22/Glock 26. I have nothing against Glocks in any way, shape, or form, but I admit that I never achieved the same comfort level with them that I had with the Sig P-series. In the interest of perceived continuity, I sold all my Sigs (and Kahrs and S&Ws) and went 100% Glock (and 100% .40S&W)

As I see retirement drawing more and more near, I have recently reached a conclusion that the most effective gun for me to carry is going to be the one I’m most comfortable with and have the most confidence in. For me, that is the Sig P229 and P239 in .357Sig, both in traditional DA/SA. There are certainly lighter more compact pistols than both (and with higher capacities to boot). But the P229 fits my hand well and I shoot it well, to the point of instinct. Even more so with the P239. It is a perfect fit for my hand, and in .357, it is the single most accurate pistol I have ever owned. To that end, I recently acquired a very clean P229 (no rail – “AI” serial number) and an equally clean P239 (“SA4”). I love and prefer the .357Sig caliber, but by having a .40 barrel for both, I give myself that option should .357Sig ammo ever become hard for me to get. And, I have to say, having them in hand (or in hip), I could not be happier. I think sometimes you just have to go back to what you know. Maybe it is won’t be the latest, greatest model that all the gun gurus and law enforcement agencies are carrying, but if it is dependable and the system runs well for you, is that really a problem? Beware the man who has been carrying the same Colt 1911 for 50 years, right? He probably knows how to use it.

On a related note, I have not owned a 9mm pistol in many years, but I’ve come to the conclusion that, with 9mm ammunition being the most commonly available semiauto rounds found just about anywhere, I need to add one to my safe. In keeping with my current “go back to what you know” mindset, I do believe a Beretta 92 would fit the bill just perfectly.

Sometimes good people have to do bad things to bad people to prevent bad people from doing bad things to good people.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.-Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 3093 | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
I'm right there with you. I have went full circle with all the big makes, models and calibers out there. The SIG P226 in 9mm is my "Excalibur". The Beretta 92 was my first love though.

Posts: 1956 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 92 is a great pistol and I miss mine,even after I swore I would never get rid of it. I wound up getting something else I really wanted but when I get a 92 again, it will be the M9A3 version. I like many of the things/options on that pistol.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
An Italian 92F was my very first auto pistol. It was a beautiful pistol that ate everything and rewarded me with stellar accuracy. But, you don't know what you don't know, and I sold it to fund a gun that was more CCW friendly - a P228. It was the right decision at the time, but like you, I will get another, if for no other reason than I just want to own it.

Congrats on your pending retirement, and thank you for your service.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gonzo, because you're a LEO, the world is yours with regard to Berettas. I'd look at an Italian 92A1 from Bud's Qualified Professionals Program and never look back. The prices are much less than expected for a gun of such exquisite quality (approx $580-$599). Throw a D hammer spring and G "decocker only" on it and enjoy 9mm life.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beware the man who has been carrying the same Colt 1911 for 50 years, right? He probably knows how to use it.

Not my experience at all.......

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
If limited to one gun make mine a Sig 239 in 357 Sig. 100% reliable, has oomph at the delivery end and can be carried concealed.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1529 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post