SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    stupid question of the week: will a P228 barrel fit the original P225?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

stupid question of the week: will a P228 barrel fit the original P225? Login/Join 
Member!
posted Hide Post
Did you ever let someone else try it?

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Not yet. I don't have many friends. Wink

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3209 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Top Gun Supply used to have later made replacement P6 barrels with the better feedramp - if they are still available somewhere, that would be an easy part swap for comparison.

Posts: 113 | Location: TX | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my P6 as a Simunition trainer so it didn't even have a live barrel. (I have a use for it as a Simunition trainer though).

I wanted to add a live barrel and make it a carry gun as well. I did a bunch of Googling over a few months. The only P225 barrels I found anywhere were the EFK Firedragon ones...when they are in stock. It took about 6 months of waiting, but they are in stock now. No other source I could find has any OEM barrels and I didn't find another aftermarket maker with them either.

http://www.efkfiredragon.com/sig-sauer-p225-9mm2.html

I've only shot it once, but the EFK barrel fits well, looks good, feedramp fed my Speer GDs (and is well polished from the factory) and it was more accurate than my skills at any rate.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by notorious_sig:
Top Gun Supply used to have later made replacement P6 barrels with the better feedramp - if they are still available somewhere, that would be an easy part swap for comparison.

How is a better feedramp going to help out with accuracy issue, which is what OP appears to be having?

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I believe he is saying that is why they had the new barrels made.

quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by notorious_sig:

How is a better feedramp going to help out with accuracy issue, which is what OP appears to be having?

Posts: 5619 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Two groups seated, rested, 8 rounds 18 yards, Rem/UMC 115 green box fmj, and Herter's select 115 fmj. Roughly 5" and 4" groups respectively. Still crappy.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
going to try some federal XTP 124 +P and 115 gold dots...

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
115 gold dot ~4" 5 shot group rested
124 Hornady (not federal) XTP +P
~4" 5 shot group rested

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
same length, 3.9" per specs...

I'm having a devil of a time getting my new to me P225 to print anything better than shotgun groups. Like, embarrassingly bad. All other pistols, I get between 2-4" groups offhand at 18 yards, shooting at steel. P225? 18" "pattern." One in the head, one in the belt buckle, a few scattered in between. I shoot the P226, P228, P220 well. Have won a couple local matches with P226. Can't shoot this thing.

Crown looks good, bore looks good, OEM barrel serialized to frame, overall condition of pistol looks excellent. Can't hit anything. Disappointed would be an understatement. I waited 30 years to buy this pistol.

Superficially it LOOKS like the -228 barrel would fit since the -225 is basically the single-stack version of the -228, but hold on...before you go buying barrels consider a few other tests.

First, have you shot it purely single-action from a supported rest? Have you allowed someone else who is a known superior shooter to give it a go?

An 18" pattern at 18 yards is extreme to say the least, and the only way that gun is throwing bullets 9" right and 9" left is if it has a obvious defect in terms of barrel-to-slide fitment.

I've personally experienced handing one of my pistols; that I shoot with pin-point accuracy, and never had a malfunction, to a friend, who was then unable to hit paper at 15 yards, AND the gun began to exhibit malfunctions!

In fact, the way I obtained my Sig P228 was in a trade from a guy who couldn't hit "Earth" with it, yet when I took it out it was tack-driving accurate! Since he already thought he'd been dealt a "lemon" I took the opportunity to offer him a nice, 1911 in trade and never looked back!

So, I'm not sayin' it's you, but 18" at 18 yards? I'd be clamping into a rest, or letting a known sharp-shooter give it a go.

Posts: 30 | Registered: July 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hansgruber:
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
same length, 3.9" per specs...

I'm having a devil of a time getting my new to me P225 to print anything better than shotgun groups. Like, embarrassingly bad. All other pistols, I get between 2-4" groups offhand at 18 yards, shooting at steel. P225? 18" "pattern." One in the head, one in the belt buckle, a few scattered in between. I shoot the P226, P228, P220 well. Have won a couple local matches with P226. Can't shoot this thing.

Crown looks good, bore looks good, OEM barrel serialized to frame, overall condition of pistol looks excellent. Can't hit anything. Disappointed would be an understatement. I waited 30 years to buy this pistol.

Superficially it LOOKS like the -228 barrel would fit since the -225 is basically the single-stack version of the -228, but hold on...before you go buying barrels consider a few other tests.

First, have you shot it purely single-action from a supported rest? Have you allowed someone else who is a known superior shooter to give it a go?

An 18" pattern at 18 yards is extreme to say the least, and the only way that gun is throwing bullets 9" right and 9" left is if it has a obvious defect in terms of barrel-to-slide fitment.

I've personally experienced handing one of my pistols; that I shoot with pin-point accuracy, and never had a malfunction, to a friend, who was then unable to hit paper at 15 yards, AND the gun began to exhibit malfunctions!

In fact, the way I obtained my Sig P228 was in a trade from a guy who couldn't hit "Earth" with it, yet when I took it out it was tack-driving accurate! Since he already thought he'd been dealt a "lemon" I took the opportunity to offer him a nice, 1911 in trade and never looked back!

So, I'm not sayin' it's you, but 18" at 18 yards? I'd be clamping into a rest, or letting a known sharp-shooter give it a go.
Yeah. Trouble is I'm the only sharp-shooter I know locally. Big Grin

I'll take it to the IDPA match this saturday and see if someone else has trouble hitting with it. As noted above, I have shot from a rest, single action, and still get 4" groups with premium ammo at 18 yards. Which IMO is not good.

On the same day I got the 18" pattern offhand with the P225, I shot the same ammo through a Hi Power and got about a 2" group offhand at the same distance. Dan Wesson, offhand, range .45ACP ammo, 3" group. Worst was Glock 22, range ammo, 4" group offhand.

surely it's possible I just can't shoot this thing. But I shoot my P226 and P220 well... why can't I shoot this? It's driving me maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Had a buddy, fellow IDPA Expert shooter and very accurate typically, shoot the P225 today. Just one group but about 4" at 10 yards offhand, some vertical stringing. I shot one right after, 4" at 10 yards offhand, some vertical stringing.

Got home, shot an 8 shot group with my P226 at 18 yards offhand, nice center mass group.

Shot the same distance, same ammo with the P225 and got a pattern all over a 12" plate.

I'm about ready to send this to Grayguns or someone. It's pissing me off.

anyone care to host a pic for me, LMK and I'll email you a shot of the latter-mentioned groups. It's pretty telling.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
anyone have a spare P225 locking block or know where I can get one for a reasonable price? I want to try one before I spend $$$ on a barrel or gunsmith.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Can someone please confirm that the P225 locking block is identical to the P226, P228, and P229?

Maybe I'll swap my P226's locking insert and see what happens.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
NVM found a "vintage P225 locking block" to try.

posted Hide Post
Try using different ammunition and see if that improves, also have someone else shoot it and see how they do also check and make sure the rear site is tight and isn't moving around slightly. It sounds like the bore is good at .357-.358

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Udpate... new locking block installed. Maybe a tad better. Still missing some 9" plates which bothers me. Will shoot and evaluate again from a rest when I can.