SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Smith 442 recoil absorbing grips
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smith 442 recoil absorbing grips Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
So the smith I bought is now going to my mom. Apex kit going in. Probably going with the Hornady light recoil ammo.

What are some good grips to make the gun more comfortable without adding too much bulk?

Crimson Trace?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Probably a Hogue or Pachmayer rubber grip would be your best bet. They have a couple of models to choose from.

Posts: 1351 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
The Crimson Trace LG-405 lasergrips don't add much bulk and have extra rubber cushioning at the top of the backstrap under the web of your hand. Outside of lasergrips or oversize grips that completely cover the backstrap, I like the old Uncle Mike's rubber grips the best followed by the current OEM factory rubber boot grips.

Crimson Trace LG-405

Uncle Mike's

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I like the original Uncle Mike's rubber boot grips that came on my 638 in ~2002.

I have tried Eagle Secret Service grips, but could not get and maintain a good grip on them when firing.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
A 442 is quite a snappy gun, are you sure she can handle something like that?

It’s not something you normally give someone who is new to guns.

I don’t know if Hogue makes their Tamer grip for the 442 but they come standard on the Ruger LCR and it’s clearly more comfortable to shoot than the 442 with its stock grip. I’ve owned a 442 and fired the LCR several times and noted this.

ETA: it does look like Hogue makes one for the 442

Posts: 33799 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uncle Mike's 59007 J-Frame Grip. No longer made, but sought after by folks preferring function to form. They're relatively easy to find used in excellent condition for ~$30. They are a full hand grip though, so they add a little size from the concealment standpoint.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I have Tamer grips on my 340. Helps a lot.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Pachmayr came out with this, this year. it's hard plastic, however it's got an auto deploying pinky grip that I understand does great to tame the gun.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will second the Crimson Trace suggestion. I have a set on my 642 and it does make a difference.

I know it's an additional expense, but it might be a better idea to go with a larger revolver. Get a full sized 38 or even 357 and load it with 38's. My 686 with 38's feels like I'm shooting a 22.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
Does your mom shoot a lot?

The 442 is not an easy gun for a novice to shoot.

Pachmayr Compacs (the kind that cover the backstrap) would be where I would start.

A S&W 60-15 is a much easier gun for a mom to handle.

Skip the "low recoil" ammo and use Winchester 148gr full wadcutters. Lighter on recoil and have enough penetration to actually do the job.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have owned alot of the little J frames over the years. Each 4-5 oz. makes a big difference in these little guns.

A grip that covers the backstrap is best. The Hogue Tamer grip above is the absolute best with respect to control, comfort and recoil absorption. Second choice is the Pachmayr compact grip that cover the backstrap as it will add about 3 oz to the gun.

Lastly your ammo choice. The absolute mildest is Fiocchi 148 Gr wadcutter. I think it in about 700 FPS or less even.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Dave

Posts: 1153 | Location: Decatur, GA | Registered: November 14, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I'll third the Crimson Trace LG-405 suggestion.

The pocket on top of the backstrap makes it a bit more comfortable to shoot.
The laser is an added bonus.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post