SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Help me pick a 1911
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me pick a 1911 Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted
Budget is about $800, perhaps $1000 if you get a LOT more for the extra $200. Range gun only. Want to get back into a 1911. Full size, govt model, steel frame, no rail, .45ACP.

My last two have been Springfield so I want to try something else, UNLESS they have the best gun for the dollar in my price range.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
Smith and Wesson, Mine has been fantastic. I have one of the earlier base models.

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
I've grown to like Colt 1911's. I have two and like them both.

If you want a "newer" style 1911 with the. Beaver tail, etc, try the competition pistol. I don't have one of these, but I would like one.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...ompetition_series_70

If you want a more traditional "GI" style pistol, go for the 1911A1 01970 pistol. They are made in Colt's custom shop. I have one and it's one of my favorite pistols.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...eries_70_7+1_45acp_5

If you can spend just a little more, go for a Colt Wiley Clapp. They are highly regarded among Colt enthusiasts. I like the blue finish and polished flats. They remind me of my 01970, only with a beaver tail and Novak sights.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...acp_5_talo_exclusive

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I came in here to suggest a Springfield, but then saw that you're looking for something else. I really like the look of the Colt Competition mentioned above...I almost bought that one back when I was looking, but I wanted 9mm and they didn't have that variant in stock.

Posts: 8528 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Maybe a Ruger and some ammo for that price. Or could go route I did and get a Colt 1991. It's pretty nice in terms of fit and finish and there's something about owning a Colt that gives you that nostalgic feeling as it is the descendent of the original that began the 1911 story.

Have also heard good things about the Smtih and wessons, Sig XO, and Springer loaded or RO (though Springfield armory has pissed a lot of people off lately for political reasons).

For around a $1000 may be able to find a used higher end like a TRP or STI Trojan as well. Lots of options really, just matters what you want in terms of brand and features.

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased a SIg 1911 nightmare full size 45 acp and it has flawlessly. This pistol is quality built, very accurate, and pretty to look at. I am more than pleased with this pistol. I assume that all Sig 1911's are of high quality with the only difference between the different models being mostly cosmetic.

Posts: 385 | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to my Ruger 1911.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have had a Ruger for several years and have no complaints. It is not as smooth as my 70 Series Gold Cup, but I did not expect it to be.

Posts: 5615 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
For $800, get a Colt. They are making some of the best 1911's they have ever made right now. A good basic O1991 can be had for under that amount.

Although for a runner up Springfield is a great choice. I bought a parkerized loaded model a year ago for $750 and it is a stellar 1911. Owning over a dozen Colts I was a little biased, but this one can stand right beside them. It's such a great shooter with outstanding fit and finish.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
If you are wanting adjustable sights the Springfield Range Officer is probably the best deal for under $1000. Even though you already have Springfield in you lineup.

You may be able to find a Dan Wesson Heritage for $1000-$1100 a bit above your budget. After having Springfields, Colts, and Kimbers, the Dan Wesson, to me, seemed to be a better fit/assembled handgun. No slide play, no weird noises if you shake it.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
I am a bit of a 1911 nut, got around 3 dozen sitting in the safe right now. IMHO the best bang for the buck is the Dan Wesson. Look at the classified section on this forum as there are several for sale right near your price range. Springfield makes good guns and if you have them and like them then no reason to change horses as you already know them. One of the things that makes 1911s so much fun as each seems to have its own personality. If you don't have one make this new 1911 a 9 mm (real cheap to shoot) or 38 super as they are both great cartridges to shoot. Another idea, use the money to get a .22 conversion kit for one of your Springfield's as they too are a hoot to shoot.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
There's a new Ruger Talo Night Watchman locally for sale on GB for $680. That seems like a decent value.

Posts: 3505 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Colt

Posts: 13676 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger. It is a good bang for the buck. And the Colt is always a good choice. Tradition, ya know!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I'm with JSB3 and low8option: a well cared for used Dan Wesson is the way to go. Head's and shoulder's above the new ~$800 fodder on the market.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I've owned more than a few 1911's over the years. I still own a Ruger Nightwatchman. Solid gun. It's been accurate, reliable, and was affordable enough that I don't worry about babying it. Only thing I ever fed it that it didn't like was Hornady Critical Duty. It had intermittent problems with those. In fairness, that same load chokes both my Glock 21 and 30S with much greater regularity.

Other than the Ruger, I'd look at Springfield in that price range. Maybe a used older Colt that is mechanically sound but cosmetically challenged. I've had mixed luck with recent vintage Colts. I had a Commander that was excellent and a Combat Elite that was awful.I owned one of the early Smith and Wesson 1911s and it was a superb pistol, but have no experience with any of the more recent versions.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
There's a new Ruger Talo Night Watchman locally for sale on GB for $680. That seems like a decent value.

That is a lot of pistol for the price.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Given what I've come across at the shop, I like Ruger at this price point. Lots of offerings these days, and my base model 6700 has so far been flawless in execution and performance.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Colt competition 1911's are a very very nice range pistol for the money. Already has F/O front site with interchangeable tubes, national match barrel, all the goodies and can be had for less than $900.....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Ruger. Been very happy with mine for the price.

Posts: 759 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post