SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Help me pick a 1911
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me pick a 1911 Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I like what Springfield and Ruger are putting out in that price range.

I've never been a Colt guy, but I know plenty of folks like them too.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
Many folks make a V-Twin, but they aren't Harleys. Many folks make a 1911 but they aren't a Colt.

Love my Gold Cup but it's a bit out of your price range. Colt is really making nice 1911s right now. Pick one in your price range.

CW

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd go Ruger. None of the series 80 nonsense.

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
I have the Colt 70 series govt repro's in carbon and ss. Pure, simple, good shooting 1911 love at its finest.
A female coworker asked me what she should get her husband for a 25th wedding anniversary.
She hit a grand slam with ss (silver) Colt 70 series 45 acp. Hubby was very happy.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Budget is about $800, perhaps $1000 if you get a LOT more for the extra $200. Range gun only. Want to get back into a 1911. Full size, govt model, steel frame, no rail, .45ACP.

My last two have been Springfield so I want to try something else, UNLESS they have the best gun for the dollar in my price range.

Personally I'd go for a Dan Wesson. You do get more for a little more money; a much tighter frame, better trigger, feels like the rails are glass. Less billboard and roll marks, better fit and finish, and workmanship. Try one and see what you think.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In that $800 price range we have a local 1911 manufacturer called Oriskany Arms. The fit and finish is really nice in this price range and you can order custom different options including custom serial number and slide laser engraving.

Posts: 180 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Recently did my research and bought a Ruger in 10mm. Like the feel and the price was right. Next week it some range time to test out the reliability and accuracy.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MC Operator

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yet another vote for Ruger. I have a few of them and I have to say the 45's have been flawless but the 9mm had magazine problems that were replaced a few times and the gun eventually went back to Prescott. For the money it's hard to beat the SR1911's.
As already mentioned they aren't like my 40+yr old Colt Gold Cup but the Ruger's I have I'm more than satisfied with especially the 45's. Plus if there is something wrong Ruger will make it right.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post