SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG M17 Civilian arrive yet? (The Eagle Has Landed) Pics
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
SIG M17 Civilian arrive yet? (The Eagle Has Landed) Pics Login/Join 
Member
Picture of tcba_joe
posted Hide Post
Ok, does anyone know how to remove the optics plate? I have a DPP but can't figure out how to take the rear optics plate off.

Also, what front sight do I need for the DPP rear sight?


 
Posts: 178 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tcba_joe:
Ok, does anyone know how to remove the optics plate? I have a DPP but can't figure out how to take the rear optics plate off.

Also, what front sight do I need for the DPP rear sight?



On the commercial model, to remove the plate you've got to pull the slide off, remove the extractor (to expose one of the two screws), and remove the other screw from the opposite side of the one under the extractor. Keep an eye on your loaded chamber indicator. I think it is retained by the sight plate and the spring is insanely small / very easy to lose. When our rep was out with his sample, we pulled the plate off his sample gun and the LCI spring took flight.

We've got a ton of photos on our blog showing the slide stripped down: http://www.osagecountyguns.com...afety-photo-gallery/

I've noted in this photo where to look:


Osage County Guns
Belle, Missouri
 
Posts: 747 | Registered: October 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I think it is pretty neat. I'm trying to cut down on the tan in my life but if the price was right I could see myself getting one. I have a 320 compact with the OD frame I enjoy. How is the thumb safety? Does it have a positive on/off feel? Does it fit the hand naturally like a 1911 safety?
 
Posts: 8530 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of tcba_joe
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the explanation on the optics plate. Any idea what bit type it is? I can't tell if it's Allen or trox. I don't want to strip the heads out if they're well loctited.

quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I think it is pretty neat. I'm trying to cut down on the tan in my life but if the price was right I could see myself getting one. I have a 320 compact with the OD frame I enjoy. How is the thumb safety? Does it have a positive on/off feel? Does it fit the hand naturally like a 1911 safety?

There's a a black version being offered by Talo in you don't want tan.

The thumb safety is great, very 1911 like with a positive click on and off. It's not wishy washy like a lot of poly guns. It's kinda small, like a mil 1911, and the edges a a bit sharp. It could stand being more like my kimber safety. But overall it's a very well done safety.
 
Posts: 178 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
The Nitron finished M17 is the M17 Bravo, a Talo exclusive as tcba_joe mentions. I think I like it better than the Coyote finish, though they may be tough to find for a while.
 
Posts: 763 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of tcba_joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OsageCountyGuns:
quote:
Originally posted by tcba_joe:
Ok, does anyone know how to remove the optics plate? I have a DPP but can't figure out how to take the rear optics plate off.

Also, what front sight do I need for the DPP rear sight?



On the commercial model, to remove the plate you've got to pull the slide off, remove the extractor (to expose one of the two screws), and remove the other screw from the opposite side of the one under the extractor. Keep an eye on your loaded chamber indicator. I think it is retained by the sight plate and the spring is insanely small / very easy to lose. When our rep was out with his sample, we pulled the plate off his sample gun and the LCI spring took flight.

We've got a ton of photos on our blog showing the slide stripped down: http://www.osagecountyguns.com...afety-photo-gallery/

I've noted in this photo where to look:


Just mounted the DPP. A piece of electrical tape over the LCI keeps everything in place.
 
Posts: 178 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
From these and other photo's it looks like a set of backup irons is impossible?


“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
 
Posts: 7215 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
From these and other photo's it looks like a set of backup irons is impossible?


There is a dovetail in the rear of the DPP which allows the mounting of a rear notch sight. It would simply require a custom height front. Dawson could make such a sight.
 
Posts: 320 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of tcba_joe
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting on the Leupold iron sight, I guess it's back ordered.

As for the front, it should just be a front suppressor sight. They intended for this gun to work with the DPP so I can't imagine there isn't a front sight already for it and I'd need something custom.
 
Posts: 178 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
The OP and I went to the range last night and I got to shoot his new M17 Civilian. I was impressed. This would be a nice pistol to own and shoot on a regular basis.


__________________________

 
Posts: 10229 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's official Dance Professor
Picture of SRA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
The OP and I went to the range last night and I got to shoot his new M17 Civilian. I was impressed. This would be a nice pistol to own and shoot on a regular basis.


That was a fun time BB. We also shot the P365 without any problems. It is a very accurate pistol.


My Fifteen Seconds of Fame
__________________________________________________________
 
Posts: 3212 | Location: Utah, United States | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Finally took my M17 to the range today. I put 400 rounds through it.

I ran several brands and bullet weights through it. The groups were sizable with standard 115gr loads, they tightened up considerably with 124gr loads. The M17 really liked the 147gr and 124gr +P loads.

I noticed an improvement in the trigger after 200rds. By the time I got done with the 400, the trigger was very nice. I could stage the trigger (somewhat like a two stage) but with less take up. I feel this is going to be one of those pistols that gets better with round count as everything settles in.


********************************************
"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"
 
Posts: 2311 | Location: Illinois - Not Chicago | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SRA:
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
The OP and I went to the range last night and I got to shoot his new M17 Civilian. I was impressed. This would be a nice pistol to own and shoot on a regular basis.


That was a fun time BB. We also shot the P365 without any problems. It is a very accurate pistol.


^^^^^^^
That is also true. But, you have to admit the P210 and USP45T weren’t bad either. Good times that’s for sure.

As an FYI, SRA was the person who got me interested in SIGs back in the early 90’s. Because of him, I purchased a West German P228.


__________________________

 
Posts: 10229 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I heard from the 2nd person that the Army is moving away from the coyote colored controls on their M17 to black controls.

Has anyone else heard this?

If this is true, it sounds like the 101st's delivered version and the M17 Commemorative edition will be pretty rare.

HK Ag
 
Posts: 2360 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's official Dance Professor
Picture of SRA
posted Hide Post
It certainly would be interesting to find out if that is true.


My Fifteen Seconds of Fame
__________________________________________________________
 
Posts: 3212 | Location: Utah, United States | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
Yesterday I heard from the 2nd person that the Army is moving away from the coyote colored controls on their M17 to black controls.

Why?
 
Posts: 22358 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG M17 Civilian arrive yet? (The Eagle Has Landed) Pics

© SIGforum 2018