SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 X VTAC with or without cut-outs? *Range report now included*
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 X VTAC with or without cut-outs? *Range report now included* Login/Join 
Experienced Slacker
posted
Haven't had a lot of luck finding an explanation elsewhere for why some VTACs have cut-outs on the slide and others do not.

Info from owners is especially appreciated.
Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: apprentice,

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
The ones with the cutouts are the original models.

When they updated the slides with an optics cut, they got rid of the cutouts. They also got rid of the profiling on the top of the slide (sort of obvious, since they had to remove more material for the optics cut).

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Thank you Smile
Carry on.

Picture of KHolm
posted Hide Post
I have the OG VTAC with the lightning cuts. It’s one of my favorite pistols. Recently I purchased the new Wilson Combat grip module in FDE for it. It quickly became my preferred firearm in terms of texture and ergonomics. It’s definitely a keeper for certain. Other than adding more 21 round mags and an Apex trigger bar, it’s damn near perfect to me.

Isaiah 54:17 - No weapon formed against us shall prosper....

What do I want? A time machine.
When do I want it? Irrelevant.

Posts: 1820 | Location: Central Iowa CAPTIVE | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’d like to see pics of this KHolm!

quote:
Originally posted by KHolm:
I have the OG VTAC with the lightning cuts. It’s one of my favorite pistols. Recently I purchased the new Wilson Combat grip module in FDE for it. It quickly became my preferred firearm in terms of texture and ergonomics. It’s definitely a keeper for certain. Other than adding more 21 round mags and an Apex trigger bar, it’s damn near perfect to me.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KHolm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I’d like to see pics of this KHolm!

quote:

Here you go!

Isaiah 54:17 - No weapon formed against us shall prosper....

What do I want? A time machine.
When do I want it? Irrelevant.

Posts: 1820 | Location: Central Iowa CAPTIVE | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
^^ That is impressive sir. I’ve always like Kyle Lamb’s VTAC firearms.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
If the tracking info is correct, I should have one of the newer models on July 2nd. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:

Thats so funny. I did the exact same thing. For some reason, I found the original front sight was a bit to tall... replacing it.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
If the tracking info is correct, I should have one of the newer models on July 2nd. Big Grin

We're gonna want to see pics, ya know.... Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Yes, I know pics are required. Smile

Hopefully I can provide better than shameful target pics as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: apprentice,

Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
The pistol arrived earlier than expected and in perfect condition. Getting to the range, editing pics, dealing with photobucket, giving up on photobucket and switching to Flikr took a bit more time though.

I'm getting used to the V-Tac style sights, but still not sure why they would be better than a good set of regular night sights for a pistol like this. It became clear that things go well when using a "combat" hold (covering the bullseye with the top dot) instead of 6 o'clock.
For those interested, both the front and rear sights are marked as #8.

Shooting around 120 rounds total of three different brands went without any failures...well, except my failing to hold steady most of the time.

*Important note - I have not been shooting before this in literally a couple years. Roll Eyes
The fundamentals from decades of life in the gun culture where there, just apparently trapped in an older, blinder, and shakier meat suit.

We'll start with the best group of the day

Here's a view of the V-Tac sights

[/url]

Although the next two targets are from two different loads, they show what happened every time I compared 6 o'clock to combat hold

[/url]

[/url]

This target was what I got from shooting 50 rounds of fmj at different ranges using both hands, right only, and then left only at each yardage

[/url]

I found the Underwood 9mm +P+ ammo a lot of fun, and have no doubt it was moving above 1550 fps. as advertised.
Can't complain about its accuracy either, so this will probably be my carry load in this pistol.

[/url]

TL;DR - I think this may be my new favorite SD pistol, and even though I felt like a mess most of the time it was good to make noise again. Smile

Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Hi! In consultation with Kyle, I designed the original V-TAC slide contours to accentuate his sight design, and to lower the CG. He likes a fast, flat, snappy gun. This was a way to help get there. As well, being old-school, I went with classic top serrations. All this was appropriate for a dedicated fixed-sight model, and our friends here are correct about the change.
I'm glad you like your new one!

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Eek
Very surprised and honored to see you, of all forum members, respond after that post.

Thank you for taking the time, and for such a great pistol!

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I may be interested in adding one of these to my collection. As I've seen pics of showing couple of different variations to this pistol since the the removable 'sight plate' was added, I've got a Couple of questions regarding your new X VTAC:

- Does the Barrel hood have the cut out/notch for the LCI (Loaded Chamber Indicator)? Please say NO... Wink

- Could you provide a Born on Date for your Pistol?

Also, more pics are always welcome if you're so inclined. Thanks! Cool

Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 64TI
posted Hide Post
I got the original VTAC after my dad had one and changed my sights out for xray sights as I couldn't get used to the 2 different dots and always hit low. Now with new sights and a full Wilson combat grip that goes to the end of the slide. I really like it

"Buzzards got to eat, same as worms"

Posts: 785 | Location: Oklahoma City. Oklahoma | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
nhracecraft,

Not seeing anything that looks like a LCI

Date code on the inside of the grip module indicates February 2020

Here's the obligatory testicular enhancement photo

I might just get a set of the Xray sights as mentioned above. That would be the smart thing for me I think since learning new tricks is long gone most days.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^ Nice! Cool

Thanks for checking. I'm just looking to rule in, or rule out a date range(s) if necessary as SIG seems to make changes quite often! Wink

FYI - The BOD (production date) of the Pistol should be listed on the case label w/ the Bar Code/SKU, unless of course they changed that too...

Live Free or Die!