SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Scored one today I've been casually eyeing for years (P245)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scored one today I've been casually eyeing for years (P245) Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
I've been wanting a .45 for carry for a while. I have a full-size 1911, but I wanted something smaller, and the P245 fit the bill nicely. I started bidding on it on gunbroker a few weeks ago, and won it last Sunday, right as all the coronavirus stupidity got into full-swing. I probably paid a bit more than I should have for it (and probably wouldn't have spent the money when I did if I'd known how all this was going to play out), but it's done and I'm happy with it.

It got into my FFL today, which was perfect timing, because the state is shutting down tomorrow. My son and I took it out and shot it today, and it's a sweetheart. Recoil isn't bad at all with my 230gr reloads, and even with stout defensive loads it's manageable. With the finger extension on the mag, it fits my hand perfectly. It should conceal pretty well, too...its shorter in the grip than my P6, and thinner by far than my P229. I'm planning to put a lot of holster wear on this one.

Once the craziness dies down, I'll probably pick up a few more mags and an SRT kit for it, but other than that I plan to leave it as-is. It fits my Don Hume PCCH that I bought for my P229, too, so I shouldn't even need to buy leather for it. Anybody else carrying a P245 or a P220 Compact?

And here it is compared to my other compact P22X Sigs:

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice score! I didn't realize the size of the P245 as compared to the P229. Great information. Thanks for sharing.
PS - Damn it - I'll probably be on the search for one now!

Posts: 463 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s a clean P245 for sure, nice score!

The P245 is my primary carry gun. Enjoy.

Posts: 365 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Very nice package of not too big yet 230gr. leaving the business end.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1529 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Oooohhhhhh......me likey!!!

Posts: 3442 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice score! I didn't realize the size of the P245 as compared to the P229. Great information. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, it's essentially the same footprint, just a little slimmer. IMO I've always felt the P229 is a bit chunky. It was my duty gun for 7 years before we went to the P320, and I never really warmed up to carrying it off-duty because of the girth. I carried the P6 for several years before that, and always loved the grip, but ended up moving away from it for other higher capacity 9mms. The P245 feels more like the P6 than it does the P229. Just right.

True, it is a semi-auto with the capacity of a revolver, but it's a .45, you can carry 8-round P220 mags as reloads, and reloads are far faster with mags than speedloaders/speed strips...at least for me (Jerry Miculek I'm not!).

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
Very Nice!!!

Posts: 2219 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I carried mine for a short time back in the day and it carried rather well.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Nice.

What happened to the P6's grip screws?

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Nice.

What happened to the P6's grip screws?

I still have the originals in my parts box but I prefer the allen head version. I hate slotted screws...have no use for them. The p229 started life as a Dept gun and I never got around to replacing the ones on that after I bought it. I probably ought to order two more sets.

posted Hide Post
My P245 looks just like that, except mine has more holster wear and rounds down range(4664 rds as of today). My main CCW during cold weather. Suggest you get a parts kit from Sig, and replace recoil springs every 3000 rds, and then enjoy your P245 as much as I enjoy mine. I have complete confidence in 6+1 of 230 HST or Gold Dot, backed by 2-8 rd mags on the belt.

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 367 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Will be a fine carry gun. Sig should have made some of these in the .38 Super round. Yours looks pretty much a new pistol.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a nice addition, congratulations.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine shot and carried great! But I sold it and embraced the plastics.
Bonus: It runs full size mags just fine, as long as you dont slam them into the gun.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've had one for more than a decade and I'm still surprised by how little felt recoil these present. Their light frame and small size make carry comfortable, plus their reputation for accuracy and reliability is spot on.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
My 220 Compact has been my primary concealed carry for close to a decade. For me it the best combination of concealable and effective. It's every bit as accurate as my 220 full size. I had doubts at first because I have big hands and prefer the feel of larger double stacks but somehow it just works. I've even had my pinky slip off the bottom of the grip before at the range and was surprised to find that I was able to continue firing effectively with a two finger hold.

China is Asshoe

Posts: 2270 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I foolishly asked a question instead of just saying "I"ll take it" on one on another board. It was gone before the guy could get back to me. Frown I'd still like to find one.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
I've had one for more than a decade and I'm still surprised by how little felt recoil these present. Their light frame and small size make carry comfortable, plus their reputation for accuracy and reliability is spot on.

Wow, only 75 made. Must have been the nickle finish. Very nice Pulicords. Dont ever sell it sir.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow, only 75 made. Must have been the nickle finish. Very nice Pulicords. Dont ever sell it sir.

Indeed, that is one fine looking handgun you have there, sir! I'd never let that one go.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I carried one for years as my backup to my P220 for obvious reasons. My retarded agency disallowed it when Sig stopped officially supporting despite sharing almost every single part with the 220, save some big ones that if they broke would ruin the gun anyway. I jumped over to a P226 9mm so now carry a 365 as my bug. I loved having that hunk of steel on my body armor and that it shared mags with my duty pistol... and it shot like a dream.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post