SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Any Colt 1911 collectors here?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Colt 1911 collectors here? Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted
I'd like to visit with some one here who has some good in-depth knowledge about these. Thx folks. Drop yer name and I'll email ya.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These guys will be able to answer anything you want to know... 1911 forum/Colt section

Posts: 71 | Location: Northern KY | Registered: January 07, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airgunner:
These guys will be able to answer anything you want to know... 1911 forum/Colt section

Thx, I just didn't want to join another forum to ask a few specifics about a barrel/slide set up I've had for years.

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a member on a lot of forums for just that reason. I know there is a fair amount of crossover knowledge on all of these sites but I prefer to talk about 1911's there and Sigs here. AR-15's on ARFCOM, etc. I find I get better info that way.

Posts: 71 | Location: Northern KY | Registered: January 07, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't say I'm a collector, but I own a few Colt 1911s made over the years.

Posts: 67 | Registered: May 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
why not post your questions and concerns here?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
why not post your questions and concerns here?

Kind of wondering the same thing myself.

10,000 posts over 12 years and you aren’t yet sure if there is anyone in here who might know the answer to your question so you want to invite us to test with you privately? Is that about it?

I say, either ask your damn question or get off of the boat.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Easy peasy.

Just sell it and buy yourself a double stack 2011 in 10mm with a six inch barrel and a smooth magwell.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
Well, not what I intended. I have all the components from an old 1911 except the frame. I'd considered buying a new frame, and having it put all together. Or, selling off the whole mess. I didn't really need another 45, so I'm just trying to decide what to do. It has no sentimental value, but has been in the family since the 40's or 50's. So, I had just hoped to visit with one knowledgeable person to obtain info/advise, maybe help figure out the year it was made..hard to do with no serial numbered frame.

FBLM LGB!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
Well, not what I intended. I have all the components from an old 1911 except the frame. I'd considered buying a new frame, and having it put all together. Or, selling off the whole mess. I didn't really need another 45, so I'm just trying to decide what to do. It has no sentimental value, but has been in the family since the 40's or 50's. So, I had just hoped to visit with one knowledgeable person to obtain info/advise, maybe help figure out the year it was made..hard to do with no serial numbered frame.

Like I said, I can't say I'm a true Colt "collector."

That being said, I am a school-trained 1911 gunsmith. You could build what you have; Caspian even makes a retro, pre-A1, 1911 frame if the rest of your parts are pre-1923 and you want it to look somewhat original. Or, you could easily find a new home with someone that would be happy to have them. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try to help.

Posts: 67 | Registered: May 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:

Pictures of the slide and barrel markings as well as the remining parts should help us get you in the ballpark with what you've got.

Frames are out there. Some of them are located on guns with butchery inflicted onto the current slides making the slides useless or otherwise undesirable like the 1917 vintage Colt 1911 that ended up in three local shops over the years with a rear sight that looked like it was both made and installed with a hacksaw but there are bare frames out there too. An incomplete 1913 vintage 1911 frame and some other parts sold on the CMP forum recently for what I thought was quite reasonable for the buyer.

Non-Colt new productions frames are also out there as another poster mentioned as well.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
is the slide numbered under the firing pin stop?

if so, that will date it,

if not, the markings and logo on it will give you a range,
ditto any markings on the barrel

Caspian makes a nice frame, if you want to build,

if you would rather part it out, check sold auctions on ebay, lots of 45 parts sold there every day,

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post

Here are a couple of pics. How much and who sells these frames mentioned above? Thx

FBLM LGB!

posted Hide Post
That looks to be a 1938-45 Colt M1911A1 slide.

The presence or absence of a serial number under the firing pin stop will help narrow it down.

How is the barrel marked? It may be marked on top of the chamber, under the chamber with a single letter or number, low on the left side of the chamber above the barrel lugs, or on either side of the barrel lugs.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:

The presence or absence of a serial number under the firing pin stop will help narrow it down.

How is the barrel marked? It may be marked on top of the chamber, under the chamber with a single letter or number, low on the left side of the chamber above the barrel lugs, or on either side of the barrel lugs.

slide stop is checkered, so maybe 38-43ish

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:

Top of barrel looks like a 5 On bottom of barrel is a GZ.

Thx. Try to find more

FBLM LGB!

posted Hide Post
I can't remember the measurements of the size/height difference difference off the top of my head at the moment, but there was a small G and large G marking and a large G with a 7, N or F. I believe the G marking was discontinued in 1943 and that your barrel is the latest type G marked barrel as it has the 7 marking as well.

The G marked barrels sell for decent money with good bores, though I think the earlier style G markings pull more money.