SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Colt Competition S/S 9mm 1911 government REPORT. With RANGE REPORT
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt Competition S/S 9mm 1911 government REPORT. With RANGE REPORT Login/Join 
posted
I posted in another thread that I ordered one of these. I had to order it sight unseen as nobody in Fort Lauderdale seemed to have even the blued version in stock. I am going to the target range hopefully tomorrow with it, but brought it home tonight. The finish on the pistol is perfect. It came with red in the front site tube and has the other site tube colors (red/blue/green) and 2 magazines. The slide to frame fit is extremely tight (with the hammer cocked), there is no rattle, very little if any discernable movement. I was incredibly shocked. The barrel to bushing fit is also extremely tight. (I have Brown's and WC's also). The trigger has a little take up, but breaks very cleanly and is around 4.5 lbs if I had to guess. All in all I'm very impressed for a production pistol in this price range. The 2 negative things I found is you can move the trigger up and down and side to side in the frame a bit. Also the grip safety is smooth and fit well at the top, but if you grab the bottom, you too can jiggle this from side to side a bit. But, all in all it's a very good looking pistol, and the important parts were fit very well. Will follow up with a range report as soon as I get a chance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to the report and pics!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got the stainless Colt com 9mm and some wilson mags and Chip Mccormick 10 rd , wipe the fact lube from the gun and lube good with some good stuff .Put a drop on the slide lock detent area I had a few no lock back I did this and the guns been flawless and a tac driver .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
If there aren't any pics, it doesn't exist! Wink

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been playing with my new Sig 320s but I think my Colt comp 9 will get out this week end .

posted Hide Post
So I made it to the range today. Gun is very tight actually. I started out with 100 rounds of Federal 115 grain FMJ, then 100 rounds of Blazer Brass 124 grain FMJ. The slide did not lock back on the first 2 magazines, but did every magazine after. I got one stove pipe on the first round of the 3rd magazine and that was the only malfunction. After the 3rd magazine it ran flawlessly.

I am not a target or bullseye shooter by any means but I'd say above average. The trigger is a little heavier than my WC or Ed Brown, but not bad. It's a very nice shooting gun. I may eventually have a trigger job done on it and stick an arched MSH on it, maybe not. All targets were shot free hand at 25 feet.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Good-looking 1911 and good shooting. I imagine those function hiccups you described will work themselves out if they haven't already.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
Good-looking 1911 and good shooting. I imagine those function hiccups you described will work themselves out if they haven't already.

They did, after 19 rounds, it ran flawlessly the remaining 183 rounds. It's a good looking gun and the slide is CLEAN looking, similar to Dan Wesson and Ed Browns.......unlike the Springfields and Kimbers with big logo's and writings stamped into it, and forward cocking serrations, etc.

Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I just picked up one of these as well, sight unseen.

I grabbed a few different boxes of ammo, Freedom munitions 115gr.(reman XTP's) I usually start all new guns with Gold dots.

Winchester Nato 124gr - Blazer Aluminum 147gr (borrowed from the guy I was shooting with).

The Freedom Munitions were loaded so light/weak that the barely cycled the slide, and it would not lock back. I thought it might be a magazine issue so I tried both mags and I only loaded 8 rounds in them, and still would not lock back on an empty magazine.

Switched the Winchester Nato and what a difference it cycled the slide as it should and locked back on every magazine with 8 or 9 rounds loaded.

The same with the Blazer.

All in all I really like the pistol, I will try a few different brands on the next trip and get some Wilson ETM mags to see how they function.

Yes it rattles when you shake it, and the trigger is not as nice as my LB's but it shoots nice and no recoil at all.

My first 9mm 1911 and I will say I like it, especially the red fiber optic front sight.

Archerman

Posts: 2476 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had mine for a little while now and its been flawless , no problems with the Wilson mags or some of the Chip McCormick mags I picked up . I have the same gun it was really hard not to get it in the 45 they had also , but the 9 is a tac driver I like it .

posted Hide Post
I have taken mine to the range twice and echo the same things. I let a girl shoot it and she had some crappy ammo, pmc I think. It had a jam which I cleared, then was flawless with all of mine. I really like mine, but thinking of having a trigger job done on it as it's a little heavy compared to my wilson and ed brown. I might put an arched mainspring housing on it that I have. I might swap the F/O to the green one. I prefer green but red is acceptable......just some targets are red too which is why I prefer gree. Other than that it's a really nice shooting pistol and I enjoy it.......

Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add that mine is serial #0025 Smile Razz Big Grin

And I like it...

Archerman

Posts: 2476 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
What are those running in your neck of the woods?

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one I bought was in the mid 900 range I think . stainless in 9mm. I have seen them for a little less at some places . For some reason Colts came down in price and Remington 45s went lower also I know the Rem Carry was a 1000 gun at first now they are around 800 range give or take .maybe 900

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pepsiblue:
What are those running in your neck of the woods?

I paid $929 plus including fees, +6% state sales tax for the stainless version, I believe the blued version is about $100 less.

Mine is serial number 0325

Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
Mine was $949.00 plus shipping and FFL fees so right at $999.00

Archerman

posted Hide Post
Get your colts while you can. The company just imploded and has all but shut down.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Get your colts while you can. The company just imploded and has all but shut down.

With the post-election market downturn and an authorized dealer sales strategy which limits the retail availability of their products, it's not surprising we're seeing massive layoffs in Hartford. Colt has been struggling for years. I suspect however, as in the past, Colt will survive. They're resilient as cockroaches in a nuclear blast.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hjs157,

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
quote:

With the post-election market downturn and an authorized dealer sales strategy which limits the retail availability of their products, it's not surprising we're seeing massive layoffs in Hartford. Colt has been struggling for years. I suspect however, as in the past, Colt will survive. They're resilient as cockroaches in a nuclear blast.

The sad thing is the quality on the new Colt Handguns seems to be very impressive right now. I know....Colt seems to have 9 lives.

Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
quote:

The sad thing is the quality on the new Colt Handguns seems to be very impressive right now.

+1. I recently purchased a factory new (old school - not Novak) Combat Commander in 45 ACP. Other than a departure from the traditional high polish blue on the slide and receiver flats, the pistol is extremely well finished. The trigger, even with the Series 80 firing pin block, is one of the best factory Colt 1911 triggers I've experienced. The thumb safety engages and disengages positively and the slide/barrel/receiver fit is excellent. In short, it is one of the best factory examples of the Colt Government/Commander pistols I have ever owned - and I have owned quite a few over the years. IMHO, Colt needs to continue focusing on quality 1911's instead of attempting to reinvent the snake revolvers. Folks will always buy a well finished 1911 - especially if it has a pony on the slide.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post