Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PPQ or VP9 Login/Join 
posted
I’ve been eyeing up the PPQ Q5 match as my next purchase, seems like beautiful gun. Met a guy at the range this week who said the VP9 he likes much better. What do you guys think? He mentioned the PPQ is harder to take down and clean and that the VP9 has a better trigger...I found this surprising.

Posts: 114 | Location: NJ | Registered: December 09, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost, but making
good time
posted Hide Post
Both guns are great and it all comes down to preference.

IMHO - the PPQ trigger is better than the VP9 and I prefer the magazine release on the PPQ.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Posts: 10454 | Location: St Augustine | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
IMO the guy you were talking to did not know what he was taking about.

I own both the PPQ and VP9 and IMO they are both terrific pistols and I really can not choose a favorite between the two.

However the PPQ is super easy to take down and pretty much like a Glock 19. I can field strip my PPQ in about three seconds. The trigger on my PPQ is better than the trigger on my VP9 but difference is not dramatic and the VP9 trigger is pretty sweet too.

I am thinking the guy you talked to was thinking about the Walther CCP as it is difficult to take down and the trigger is no where as good as the PPQ and no where the quality of the PPQ.

IMO if the PPQ Q5 Match you are considering fits you well you will really like it. It should not be to difficult to find a 4 inch barrel PPQ to try out if you have not done so yet.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
IMO the guy you were talking to did not know what he was taking about.

I own both the PPQ and VP9 and IMO they are both terrific pistols and I really can not choose a favorite between the two.

However the PPQ is super easy to take down and pretty much like a Glock 19. I can field strip my PPQ in about three seconds. The trigger on my PPQ is better than the trigger on my VP9 but difference is not dramatic and the VP9 trigger is pretty sweet too.

I am thinking the guy you talked to was thinking about the Walther CCP as it is difficult to take down and the trigger is no where as good as the PPQ and no where the quality of the PPQ.

IMO if the PPQ Q5 Match you are considering fits you well you will really like it. It should not be to difficult to find a 4 inch barrel PPQ to try out if you have not done so yet.

Thank you grumpy1 for setting me straight, last time I had a permit to purchase I was down to the P210 and the Q5 match. I ended up w the P210 that I love but never forgot how much I wanted that Q5. I'm going for that next...

Posts: 114 | Location: NJ | Registered: December 09, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I own a 4” PPQ M2 and a VP9. The guy you were talking to didn’t know what he was saying. The PPQ series is very easy to take down. As Grumpy mentioned, it is similar to a GLOCK. There is a big difference between the two pistols. The VP9 is not a competition pistol. I’d compare it to a GLOCK 17 if that helps. The Q5 Match is more like a SIG P320 XFive. If you are only target shooting or competing, I would get the Walther. If you are thinking of CCW, buy a 4” Walther or the VP9.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also have both, and slightly prefer my PPQ M1 over the VP9, however I like my P99 AS best of all!

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too have both the PPQ m1 and the VP9. The PPQ is not just a better fit in my hand with a terrific trigger, but a more accurate shooter at 15yrds, and it is not the 5” PPQ...so, you can imagine how much better and more accurate the latter is...
P.S. I do like my VP9 and don’t plan on parting with it.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I wanted to love both of them and both left me disappointed.

They both feel great in your hand, but the VP9 wins there. Trigger is no doubt the PPQ. VP9 isn't bad for an HK, but it definitely loses to the PPQ, P320, M&P 2, maybe even the Steyr. PPQ (at least the M2) wins with the mag release being button not paddle, but that's personal preference. VP9 grip is better, the PPQ needed Talons. HK has better sights. I changed my PPQ's with what was supposed to be the ones that didn't change POA, but they did. Plus something about the sight gap width gives me a little trouble with proper sight alignment. PPQ is louder and snappier. Dunno why. 5" should knock it down though. The most important thing is how you perform with them though. For me, I don't shoot either to my satisfaction. I don't group right enough with the PPQ, and I'm high with those damned sights. I shoot the VP9 like a laser...but only slow fire. Rapid fire I string up and to the right.

So with that mass of text, what's the ultimate call? Shoot them for yourself and buy the one you shoot better.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
A lot of how I feel about the two echoes BuddyChryst's post, except I like both well enough.

Slow shooting I do better with the PPQ, mostly due to the quality of its trigger. But I do shoot my VP9 better at speed than I can my PPQ M1; it comes down to the amount of muzzle flip I experience with the Walther slowing me down and throwing me off. Simply put, I experience more muzzle flip with the Walther and that affects my abilities with the gun. Moreover I strongly prefer the ergonomics of the VP9 over that of the PPQ; it's not even close to me despite the perceived similarities between the two. The PPQ points more like a standard 320, which isn't a good thing given my Glock sensibilities. The VP9 falls closer to the compact Glock alignment, and that's a huge thing for me.

The polymer of the PPQ has always felt and looked chintzy to me, and its grip texture needs help. I really like the slide ears on both of my VP9 and VP40; overhand racking has never been better with those appendages on board. HK does the paddle mag release better than Walther does on my M1; I thinks it's easier to find and activate using my trigger finger on the VP9 than with the M1. The trigger action is the PPQ's one saving grace; it's at the top of the striker world. But for me it's not that much better than the VP9's that it can overcome the shortcomings I have with the rest of the gun. With my trigger hold, neither gun has been a finger pincher; both in this regard are about equal which is to say they're pretty good. Neither gun will unseat a Glock when it comes to a detail strip and the complexity of putting everything back together, but the PPQ is a bit easier than the VP9, which really offends my Glock sensibilities. Only the fussy trigger groups of the so-called modular guns (320, for example) is worse offenders to me.

So in the end I prefer the VP9 over the PPQ. The class leading trigger of the Walther isn't enough to overcome its deficiencies when put head-to-head against the HK. Overall I just shoot the VP9 much better than I do the PPQ, when it comes down to the kind of shooting it would take to "take care of business". Even for more leisurely shooting activities, the VP9 just suits me better. So in this head-to-head the clear winner for me is the VP9. However neither gun to me would ever replace a Glock. As always YMMV of course.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
PPQ, particularly that model for range use. I have a standard 5” and it is one of my favorites. The VP9 is excellent overall and may be better at “speed” but I still prefer the PPQ. I just don’t see the VP9 as “much better”. YMMV.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by timrh23:
I’ve been eyeing up the PPQ Q5 match as my next purchase, seems like beautiful gun. Met a guy at the range this week who said the VP9 he likes much better. What do you guys think? He mentioned the PPQ is harder to take down and clean and that the VP9 has a better trigger...I found this surprising.

For my average shooting abilities, I can't tell any difference between the PPQ and VP9. I like them both and they shoot about the same to me. If anything, the PPQ trigger is slightly better but I generally only shoot at 7 to 15 yard distances, so both work well. They are both easy to take down. I don't have the PPQ Q5 and don't know much about it. Between the regular PPQ and VP9, I slightly prefer the VP9 since I really like HK standard luminescent sights. PPQ sights are very easy to swap out though, even easier than Glocks.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I bought the VP9 when it came out...read so many comment comparing tit to the PPQ. 5 PPQs later...I’d say the PPQ is a better pistol than the VP9. Not by a large margin but better in term of trigger and accuracy. I got ride of the M1 version to standardize with the 5 inch M2. The 5 inch PPQ are a delight to shoot. The Q5 has my attention and I regretted passing up at a gun show a few years ago. However, I am holding out for a updated version with the co witness rear. Unless you are putting a red dot sight, get a 5 inch standard M2. By the way, I dislike the 17 round mags of the PPQ and orefer the 15 round version.

Posts: 1349 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
As an owner of a VP9 and PPQ M2 4" 9mm, I concur w/ most of what's been posted so far, especially grumpy1. He shared almost my exact thoughts. Few things I'll add:

Neither is difficult at all to field strip and reassemble. That shouldn't weigh into your decision at all.

VP9 is slightly larger and heavier.

With its interchangeable backstraps and grip panels, the VP9 offers more grip comfort customization than anything else on the market.

The VP9 paddle mag release is a dealbreaker for some ppl. You can get the PPQ w/ either.

VP9 is a little ammo sensitive. I've occasionally had feed and ejection problems w/ some 115gr range ammo. 124gr has been flawless.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrutro
posted Hide Post
I bought a first gen PPQ (4" barrel, paddle mag release) shortly after they came out, and loved it. I have however recently gone all in on the VP9. As far as takedown, they are both equally easy. It's a non factor in deciding between the two. Comparing the two triggers- the initial take-up on the PPQ is longer than the VP9. The pull weight is lighter on the PPQ, and the reset is much shorter and more positive. There is no creep on either in the pull after reset. My PPQ has a few thousand rounds through it and I've not fired my full size VP9 yet, so it may change a little, but I don't expect much more than smoothing out.
The reason I'm going with the VP9 is that I've been looking for the one "do it all" pistol. The trigger on the PPQ is lighter than I'm comfortable with for carry. I'm not getting rid of my PPQ, but it will be a range gun for me. If you want a range/match only gun, either would be perfectly capable and the Walther may be slightly better. If you want something you could carry also, go with the HK. Or, be like the rest of us and get both.

Posts: 894 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: April 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I have a VP9 with a TLR-1 and two round mag extensions for my bedside gun. I also frequently carry a VP9sk. For some reason I’m more accurate with the SK. Haven’t quite figured that out. I did briefly own a PPQ M2, it just came down to personal preference for me.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
The triggers are comparable, only slightly different, both very good.

I own a PPQ M1, I prefer the paddle mag release. The Q models have the capability of mounting a micro red dot to the slide, which the VP9 doesn't, at least not to my knowledge. The 4 inch PPQ has the option of a threaded barrel, the 5 inch does not. I would assume the mags are more expensive for the HK, they usually are.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the PPQ. I own a PPQ M2, a bunch of Glocks, and a M&P 2.0 compact as far as full-size/compact striker-fired guns are concerned. I do not own a VP9. That says volumes about my opinion of the two.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well I wanted to love both of them and both left me disappointed.

Well, I'm with you fellas. Big Grin

My thoughts on owning both: Feel and trigger, PPQ hands down. Function and durability, VP9.

However, I sold both and went back to Glock. Like I always do.

But it's not like you're going to get made fun of for either one, they're both solid performers. For the money, the PPQ is by far Walther's best model. For HK, I honestly like the USP series better.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcop143
posted Hide Post
I own both:
Trigger- PPQ
Ergos- VP9

OP, what are you going to use the pistol for? If just a range gun, this is non-issue, but magazine release should be a consideration. If your muscle memory is geared towards an American, button style release, I’d go with the PPQ unless unless you are committed to training for the Euro release. Go-to Sigforum answer: Buy both Wink

Posts: 103 | Registered: August 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I have owned both. Kept the PPQ. Not exactly sure why. I would try to shoot both, but for me I could not distinguish much difference between the two. I kinda' had to flip a coin. Frankly, I think the S&W 2.0 is a little better than both...for me anyway.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post