SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    6/8 for 40 S&W, 8/8 for 357 Sig ... I'm thinking new front sight?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6/8 for 40 S&W, 8/8 for 357 Sig ... I'm thinking new front sight? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
Regarding the ever confusing Sig sight numbers, and caliber swaps, I've done some reading. My understanding is that the 6/8 sight would have a lower POI than a 8/8 sight, for the same caliber. Since the P239 is in 40 S&W, and fires a heavier projectile, the 6 front sight is appropriate given that the pistol is rotating upwards before the projectile leaves the barrel.

So, for a 357 Sig projectile, leaving a few hundred fps faster, and with 40 grains less weight, I believe the POI for a 6/8 would be low.

Any responsible opposing viewpoints?

(Jane, you ignorant... comes to mind)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 4MUL8R,

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FBHO
posted Hide Post
Correct POI would be low for 357 with 6/8. Here's my targets for my P229/357 with 8/8 sights.

As numbers go down, groups go down.

P1010487 by greyeyezz

P1010481 by greyeyezz

Posts: 1046 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: September 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Given that the cartridge is supposed to be superior in many ways, I guess I need to consider the expense of a sight swap along with the already expensive barrel.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Unless you shoot at 25 yards or beyond, the difference in POI is hardly worth worrying about.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Given that the cartridge is supposed to be superior in many ways, I guess I need to consider the expense of a sight swap along with the already expensive barrel.

Yup. That's one reason I haven't pulled the trigger on anything. Affordable DA/SA .357 Sig P229s in nice condition are scarce. Nice, affordable P229s in .40 S&W are plentiful, but, by the time you add a barrel ($140) and replacement sights... *shrug*

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot both .40 S&W and 357 SIG using the same slide and sights with my SIG P229. The sights I am currently using are the #8 front and #8 rear SIG X Ray sights.

Yes, if you use the same sight picture the .40 S&W rounds will hit a little higher than the 357 SIG as was shown. I simply use a different sight picture for the two rounds.

Most SIGs are set up for a "combat", "drive the dots", or #3 sight picture and I use that for 357 SIG. With .40 S&W I use more of a "split the bull" or #2 sight picture, and that seems to work fine for ranges of 15-25 yards or so.

Inside of that range, the difference in POI is really not worth worrying about. If you like to shoot at long ranges, since 357 SIG is a faster round it will shoot flatter, so the farther out you go the difference in POI narrows.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
...given that the pistol is rotating upwards before the projectile leaves the barrel.
It may also be that you're over-thinking this a bit... Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post