SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P239 Questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P239 Questions Login/Join 
posted
I have an opportunity to acquire a P239 40 S&W in either a DAO or DAK action. Two questions: can either action type be converted to DA/SA and is there a source for 357 Sig conversion barrels? Thanks and God bless.

Posts: 124 | Location: Baytown, Texas | Registered: December 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I believe the answer is yes to both, but the bbls are a bit tougher to come by. My dad is thinking about getting one for his 40 P239

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I cannot think of why a DAO or DAK (you don't know which?) couldn't be converted to DA/SA. The significant difference, though, would be the parts involved. I believe that DAO P239s are rare birds indeed, and DAK would make things more expensive.

Gun with DA/SA hammer that I believe would probably be the same as DAO.

Gun with DAK hammer:

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund, both action types are available. It’s my choice. If one is easier to convert, I’d buy it.

I wasn’t aware the DAO was not as common. I’ve had no experience with a Sig DAO. However I once had a Beretta Centurion DAO which was nice. Is the Sig DAO action smooth? God bless.

Posts: 124 | Location: Baytown, Texas | Registered: December 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If you have a choice, converting from DAO should definitely be less expensive and easier. Converting from DAO to DA/SA requires only switching to a DA/SA hammer. Everything else remains the same. That is not true of converting from DAK. Below is the relevant page from a 2002 armorer manual.

As for how rare the two types are, DAO in any model is uncommon, and considering that the P239 is a less common model on top of that, that’s uncommon squared.

If, BTW, you end up with a DAO P239 and make the conversion to DA/SA, I would be interested in purchasing the hammer from you. I have never seen one, and I’d like to add it to my collection (both my P239s are DAKs at this time). Before the introduction of the DAK system, I had converted my P226 and P229 to DAO because I prefer double action triggers over DA/SA. Individual actions differ some, of course, but I always found them to be smooth.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Converting from DAO will also require the decocking lever parts: lever, bearing, and spring.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Converting from DAO will also require the decocking lever parts: lever, bearing, and spring.

Yes, sorry: that too. As would converting from DAK.
Thanks. I never deal with decocking mechanisms and completely forget every time.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whit:
I have an opportunity to acquire a P239 40 S&W in either a DAO or DAK action. Two questions: can either action type be converted to DA/SA and is there a source for 357 Sig conversion barrels? Thanks and God bless.

I had my DAO P239 converted to DA\SA by SIG. As to barrels SIG has discontinued what was a hard to fing caliber so your only hope is someon elike Bar Sto.

https://barsto.com/product/357-sig-p-239/

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Just last month I picked up a DAK P239 in 40 cal and a fellow member here sold me a 357 sig barrel... it slipped in with out a problem and functions perfectly....

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not really sold on this DAK trigger... it is one long pull. And I really can't see the advantage to the just barely shorter harder pull on the first click. I've been shooting DA/SA for years and I really like that single action trigger...have even been know to cock the hammer while drawing....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
from topgunsupply.com

Parts to convert from DA/SA to DAK
DAK Hammer
DAK Hammer Strut
DAK Mainspring (red)
DAK Safety Lever
DAK Sear
DAK Sear Spring
DAK Trigger Bar
Note: Not all frames are DAK compatible. If in doubt, call SIG SAUER Customer Service with your serial number. (603)772-2302 or check further down for photo's showing both types of frames.
Parts to convert from DAK to DA/SA
Decocking Lever
Decocking Lever Spring
Decocking Lever Bearing
Hammer
Hammer Strut Pin (except P239 which is integral)
Hammer Reset Spring
Hammer Strut
Mainspring
Safety Lever
Sear
Sear Spring
Trigger Bar
DA/SA Grips with Decocking Lever cutout
Parts to convert from DAO to DA/SA
Hammer
Hammer Strut Pin (except P239 which is integral)
Decocking Lever
Decocking Lever Spring
Decocking Lever Bearing
Parts to convert from DA/SA to DAO
DAO Hammer
Hammer Strut Pin (except P239)

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 373 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OlympicFox
posted Hide Post
My P239 is DAK in 357 SIG. It isn't difficult to convert to DA/SA. Top Gun Supply carried the parts the last time I looked. There are other parts needed such as the decocking lever and springs.

The DAK trigger makes it a go-to CCW piece when I'm competing mostly with revolvers.

Converting to 40 is just a barrel swap, although some mags are marked for both 357SIG and 40S&W while others are marked for just one caliber.

I also have a 9mm conversion barrel from https://www.efkfiredragon.com/

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell

Posts: 168 | Location: Olympic Peninsula | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Parts to convert from DAK to DA/SA ...
Sear

There is no need to change sears when converting DAK to DA/SA.
Changing sears might be necessary when changing from DA/SA to DAK if the gun is an older one before the DAK was introduced.

Added: When I posted the above I forgot the obvious fact that an older SIG Classic line pistol that had the pre-DAK sear would also likely not be capable of being converted to DAK at all. There might have been some exceptions during the transition period, but it’s easy to check. DAK-compatible sears have the semicircular cut on the one side:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
A side note about magazines... I'm pretty sure that 40 cal mags work find with 357 rounds, at least I've been using one in my 357. Don't know about the other direction. One of the interesting things I've read about 357 sig guns is they have virtually no feeding problem because of the necked down round.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post