SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 reliability?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 reliability? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My two P220s from 1984 and 1995 have been totally 100% reliable. Don't know about present day external extractor pistols. I'm with member "12131" regarding the internet. While it (the internet) has certainly been helpful in a lot of ways to the shooting population, it is a doubled-edged sword and is capable of spreading total bullshit also. I remember reading where someone claimed that AK rifles "have problems". With upwards of 50 million being fielded to date I'm sure the bugs would have been worked out by now.
If you want a new P220, buy it and I'm sure you will be pleased!

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
Adding to what henryaz and SevenPlusOne said and what I haven't seen mentioned already, I believe the reliability issues with P220s were with the first milled stainless steel slide models with internal extractors. As I recall the issue had to do with the steel used in the extractors.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
As previously mentioned, there was a period when there were some issues with SS slides and the internal extractor. Sig never officially acknowledged this, but they did fix problem guns right away. As someone else mentioned, they did redesign the P-220 with an external extractor. Sig indicated they redesigned the extractor as an external extractor, to make things more uniform, across the Classic P series.

A very well known Gunsmith even designed a fix for the problem guns, before Sig moved to the external extractor.

I had one of those affected. Sig took care of the problem very, very quickly.

As I remember, if you were unlucky enough to have a problem gun, it reared its ugly head right out of the box, it was not something that took time to surface.

I would not hesitate to buy a current P-220, and the Legion has certainly peaked my interest.

That said, my preference remains the mid-90's vintage, period.

Please let us know what you decide on.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for the replies. Looks like there's nothing to worry about.

I'm really interested in the 220 Carry SAS, the only problem is they're pretty hard to find around here.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:

I'm really interested in the 220 Carry SAS, the only problem is they're pretty hard to find around here.

You're not willing to buy online? Plenty of them around.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:

I just picked one up last week and love it. If you find one I think you will be very happy.

Posts: 105 | Location: United States | Registered: May 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post