Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New M1911A1 Login/Join 
Picture of Spieler
posted
After reading the reviews and watching a ton of videos I decided to pull the trigger on the purchase of a TISAS/SDS 1911A1 US Army.

It fills a place of nostalgia in my collection as this was the sidearm I carried most during my time in service.

And for the price at my LGS I couldn't pass it up, $360.99 + tax NIB. Even managed to get some Speer ball ammo at $22.79 a box. Smile

Now to get her to the range.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Spieler,

Posts: 2433 | Location: ATL South OTP | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I’ve heard good things about those and at that price you can’t beat it. Enjoy and let us know how it shoots!

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
That’s outstanding - congratulations!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6690 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one of them about 3 months ago , I put real GI grips on , gave it a clean up and lube job and its been flawless shoots right on ,and runs with any mag or ammo mine was 439 when I got it .You can`t beat it for the price .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Just posted an asker about those...thanks for the post, I think I'll be buying one.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I like the look...and the price! I'd be interested in a range report. If they shoot, for that money I may have to get one.

Posts: 8422 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been following those closely for a while now.

I was looking to get my father one because that was what he carried during his time in Vietnam and during the rest of his military service.

Years and Years ago (I would say about 18 now) I bought him a Colt XSE Series Government Pistol and it is a gorgeous pistol. In my heart I believe he thinks its to pretty/nice to shoot.

I wished I would have bought the commander model.

For now, I just want a 1911 to plink with, and that goes the same for my father. (When I grow up I want to get a CoLt XSE Series Government Pistol.)

I would be interested in how it shoots.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks good, a closer copy than most.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've heard good reports on these. I hope they're awesome, because I ordered one today, and I don't even need another 1911.

Posts: 781 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I would have bought it at that price also. I bought 2 RIA's, one in 9mm and another in .45 and they both worked just fine.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish an American company would make a faithful reproduction ( the tisas looks pretty good) but with old school marking ( including US property markings)
Colt did a run but the guns were about as expensive as an actual original and have gone up in price since then.

Posts: 3271 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Years ago, Springfield Armory made a copy of the 1911A1. I had one, and wish to this day I had kept it.

It was really not that expensive.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
I wish an American company would make a faithful reproduction ( the tisas looks pretty good) but with old school marking ( including US property markings)
Colt did a run but the guns were about as expensive as an actual original and have gone up in price since then.

Look at the new auto-ordnance M1911a1. They are as close as possible to a GI model

Posts: 467 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WJR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Years ago, Springfield Armory made a copy of the 1911A1. I had one, and wish to this day I had kept it.

It was really not that expensive.

Me, too. Really wish I still had it.

WJR

Posts: 1823 | Location: Birmingham, AL USA | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WJR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spieler:
After reading the reviews and watching a ton of videos I decided to pull the trigger on the purchase of a TISAS/SDS 1911A1 US Army.

It fills a place of nostalgia in my collection as this was the sidearm I carried most during my time in service.

And for the price at my LGS I couldn't pass it up, $360.99 + tax NIB. Even managed to get some Speer ball ammo at $22.79 a box. Smile

Now to get her to the range.

Just looked those up and they do look very nice. Congratulations!

WJR

Posts: 1823 | Location: Birmingham, AL USA | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think colt did a run of G.I. pistols. Think it was around 1991. Think they called them 1991A1’s or something like that. But I don’t remember if they used the “series 80” or Schwartz trigger/safety mechanism. As opposed to the mil spec GI type. I was looking at the Tisas Browning HP last year but they’ve evaporated.

Posts: 266 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WJR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dubagel:
I think colt did a run of G.I. pistols. Think it was around 1991. Think they called them 1991A1’s or something like that. But I don’t remember if they used the “series 80” or Schwartz trigger/safety mechanism. As opposed to the mil spec GI type. I was looking at the Tisas Browning HP last year but they’ve evaporated.

You are partially correct. Colt did come out with the 1991A1 and it did have the Series 80 mechanism. The Schwartz mechanism however is completely different and is the garbage that is/was used in the Kimber IIs.

Colt continued the 1991 series for some time. Their best 1911A1 reproduction was a WWII series that was done by the custom shop. Those had the original roll marks and were quite nice.

WJR

Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I have owned 3 Kimbers with the type II Swartz type safety and have not found the system or Kimber’s execution of it to be problematic at all on those 3 pistols. I had to sell the guns due to averse finances and would happily buy another once the finances are there. The only difference is the next one will be in 9mm instead of .45acp.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on good reviews and sudden pangs of nostalgia I got one of these early last week and put 200 rounds through it early this week. My perspective comes from having been issued, carried, supported (maintained), and gunsmithed 1911 types since 1976. I bought my first one, a Colt Series 70 in 1978. (Serial #83628G70; if anyone out there owns it, give her a hug for me.)

As far as a true copy, it's pretty good. You can't get around import markings, but they're non-obtrusive. Finish is very nice. It's what I imagine a new wartime production gun looked like before it obtained the typical patina. Grips look like what really worn GI plastic grips look like except their color is too light. The ejection port is very slightly lowered but you have to look close to notice it. I'm a reloader, so I kind of appreciate not dealing with "authentic" case mouth dents.

Internal finish is outstanding. The lack of machine marks on internal surfaces of the slide and frame is better than most Colts I've owned and is superior to the military ones I dealt with.

It is fitted very tight! So tight, I was a little concerned about the fit of the barrel feet. No noticeable slide play or wiggle. Except for the barrel bushing, think "Les Baer tight".

Trigger pull was what I consider typical military: About 5.5 pounds. (I need to put it on my trigger gauge.)

My friend and I shot 100 rounds each of military hardball-level handloads and 200 grain LSWC handloads. There were no failures to feed or eject and the sights were dead-on at 15 yards. Ejection was in a uniform pattern at four o'clock. I had one slide lock failure after a last round which I attribute to my riding the slide lock. The original style sights require my aging eyes to really, really concentrate.

Disassembly for cleaning showed very even wear. This is a very well-built pistol. I don't know if the Turks do a lot of hand fitting or if they've really got their tools dialed-in, but kudos to them.

So I'm very happy with the pistol and scratched my nostalgia itch: Win-win. I even got hammer bite to remind me why I learned to fit beavertail grip safeties.

Posts: 781 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post