SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Legionaires report
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legionaires report Login/Join 
posted
I am pretty convinced that I will be buying a Legion pistol soon. I already have a P220 that I like a lot, and I mess around with Legions every time I go to the gun store. I really like the grip, which accommodates my somewhat twisted arthritic fingers, and the trigger, that aides my trigger finger as well. My apologies to those who think of guns as only "tools" but I think the Legion is a really good looking firearm.

I'm looking for any pros and cons. Of course, the price is a negative, so I'm hoping to hear that it's worth the $$.

On the price subject, I would like to hear of any deals that are being offered. I'm probably only looking for a P229 since I have enough safe/range guns now, so I would carry any pistol I buy.

Finally, does anyone have any information about the P220 Legion that's supposed to be coming out? I'm asking everywhere I can since I don't want to buy a 229 and have buyers regret if the promised 45 cal. comes on the market. Most of my pistols are 45s and if I had my druthers I'd like to stay with that ammo size if I can.

Posts: 12 | Registered: April 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the P226 Legion SAO; my husband has the DA/SA Legion. I'd highly recommend both, but particularly the SAO.

I have not shot the P229 version, as our dumb Canadian gun laws would only allow it if it had the slightly longer threaded barrel.

I held the P220 Legion SAO at Shot Show. I do think(read hope)it will be produced. I love the P220, so I can only imagine how awesome it would shoot with the Legion SAO trigger!

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both P226's, and love them both. Having said that the SAO version is OUTSTANDING! The trigger is phenomenal. If you have isdues with your hands you may want to consider the SAO.

As to price/value, that is an individual decizion. This much I can say. I bought the DA/SA first, then a P226RX SAO, my first SAO SIG. I was so impressed with the P226RX SAO that I still bought the SAO Legion.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glock Stock & Barrel
Picture of gtmtnbiker98
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I don't understand all the hype surrounding the trigger. My P226 Legion 9mm's trigger is much heavier than my MK25 trigger. Truth be told, my MK25's stock trigger is perhaps the best trigger of all my SIGs.

The undercut and aggressive checkering and G10 grips are nice, but the trigger is not a selling point for me. The finish is okay, but no where near as durable as the Nitron. The XRay sights are great and much improved over traditional SIG Lites.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4436 | Location: Southcentral Ohio | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 229 Legion. Love the Xray sights and G10s. The out of the box DA trigger pull, I would compare to my well used M11-A1 with thousands of rounds through it. It is not a light pull, but quite smooth. Great carry piece.

Posts: 179 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gtmtnbiker98:
Honestly, I don't understand all the hype surrounding the trigger. My P226 Legion 9mm's trigger is much heavier than my MK25 trigger. Truth be told, my MK25's stock trigger is perhaps the best trigger of all my SIGs.

The undercut and aggressive checkering and G10 grips are nice, but the trigger is not a selling point for me. The finish is okay, but no where near as durable as the Nitron. The XRay sights are great and much improved over traditional SIG Lites.

You may want to try installing a Wolff 17lb mainspring and adjusting for overtravel. Can make a significant difference for just a few $$.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

My Legion P226 trigger is superior than my MK25. It is smoother in double action, crisper in single and has a shorter reset.

I do NOT like the Legion sites. I have no opinion on the finish vs. the Nitron.

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
Picked up a used 226 Legion for a great price. After putting about 500 rounds through it, I could take it or leave it. As for all the trigger hype, I'm just not feeling a difference between the Legion and my CPO 226. Legion sights work better for me

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rather than commenting on what i like because there is nothing that is not a little better than the stock P226. The only difference that I think is negative is the ridiculously small slide release. Might as well have just eliminated it altogether if its almost impossible to use it with thumb of the shooting hand.

Posts: 705 | Registered: April 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend bought a P229 Legion and raved about it.

He handed it and a box of ammo to me a couple of weeks ago and told me to go shoot it.

I shot four rounds, packed it back up, and gave it back.

I own five plain old garden variety black classic P Sig's and after reading all of the hype that Legion trigger was the worst Sig trigger I've encountered.

I guess they are like P320's...maybe you'll get one with a good trigger, but maybe not.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is nice to hear another view about the 226 Legion that is not all positive. I purchased the 226 MK25 and had SIG perform An Action Enhancement Package which lightens the double-action trigger pull from 10 pounds to 8 and the single-action trigger pull from 4.5 pounds to 4. The trigger is much easier to pull than my accuracy is increased. I installed Trijicon HD orange night sites which I like a great deal.

I may also add some Hogue G10 Grips. I would not want a 226 with a heavier trigger other than the one I have. For some people the Legion has worked great but it is nice to hear what features do not work for everyone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had 20 or so sigs over the years... The P226 SAO is by far the best trigger that I have felt. It is smooth, has good response and just a joy to shoot. I hope the 229 will be available one day in SAO. I love the 226 Legion, but its a bit big for daily carry.

Sig P229 - .40
Sig M11-A1 - 9MM
Sig 938 - 9MM
Dan Wesson CCO
Wilson ADP

Posts: 68 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: March 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I've got over 5,000 rounds through mine (226 DA/SA), still haven't found a "con" yet.

The trigger is on par or one step below one that has had a AEP done to it. It is still better than any P series trigger that hasn't had work done to it or a bazillion rounds shot through it.

I have zero frame wear, scratches, or other blemishes to the finish. I use it for USPSA and Steel Challenge, it's been holstered and un holstered many many hundreds of times. I do have some knicks on the magwell from speed reloads, but with a magazine in you can't tell.

I could care less about the X-ray sights vs standard NS, they both work for me. I'd be happy with either.

When I put her in my hand it feels like she was made for me, the grippy grips grip great, the undercut while it appears not to much different than std 226 makes a huge difference. The tail is modest and not annoying like some are. Balance is perfect. Soft shooting.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own both versions of the P226 Legion, and have installed Wolff 17lb mainsprings in both. Made a huge difference in the DA/SA Legion, as did adjusting the overtravel. The trigger on the SAO is absolutely amazing! Beyond that, the spot where the trigger breaks is very good, allowing me to shoot very well as opposed to the SP2022 that I sold off because the pull was fairly heavy but broke so close to the frame I pushed my shots to the left. Both are very smooth and crisp.

Beyond the trigger the ergos of the Legions are excellent, as are the grips and sights. Are there Legions with issues....sure. However I am very happy with mine.

Picture of saltysquid
posted Hide Post
quote:
The finish is okay, but no where near as durable as the Nitron.

They are both pvd finishes done by ionbond. Nitron IS Ionbond dlc, has been since they started building in the us, ionbond built a plant up by sig. All of sigs pvd finishes are done by ionbond including the Legion. Sig called the finish before this one nitron so they stuck with it.

Ionbond will even verify it, I have spoken to Them a couple of times. Sig sent them all to North carolina for a little while till ionbond built up north.

*BUT*. Nitron is ionbond DLC and while it is a pvd black is the only color. The other color pvd's that ionbond does is slightly different. The gray, fde, scorpion color, all the same just different colors. Springer precision used to be ionbond's agrnt for individuals, now its a place in nc, I forget the name. They can do all the dlc/pvd finishes sig has.

This is them, they are now ionbond's agent.

http://www.clubcustomguns.com

Just posting all this for general knowledge.

DAV and NRA Lifetime member.

Posts: 114 | Location: Mexico | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fiddlers
posted Hide Post
Real happy wth my Legion P226SAO. This is the best production Sig I have shot and almost matches my P226 SH&SM.

Posts: 948 | Location: SWFL | Registered: April 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I own several P226s, a 1986 W. German, a late pressed slide German, a milled slide German, a 2016 MK-25, and a Legion.

The Legion is my favorite P226. It is slightly better in nearly all areas than a standard P226 and a good step up in ergonomics and sights.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone, for the input. I am still hedging my bets waiting for the rumored P220 Legion.

I just missed a P229 9mm at the gun store. They called, but when I got there it was gone.

The longer I wait, the less I have to put on the credit card, so I still have some time to go before if I can refrain from instant gratification.

Hope to hear more reports. I'm always glad for more info.

Posts: 12 | Registered: April 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of saltysquid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rmak:
Thanks, everyone, for the input. I am still hedging my bets waiting for the rumored P220 Legion.

Me too, I want an sao.

DAV and NRA Lifetime member.

Posts: 114 | Location: Mexico | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GP229:
A friend bought a P229 Legion and raved about it.

He handed it and a box of ammo to me a couple of weeks ago and told me to go shoot it.

I shot four rounds, packed it back up, and gave it back.

I own five plain old garden variety black classic P Sig's and after reading all of the hype that Legion trigger was the worst Sig trigger I've encountered.

I guess they are like P320's...maybe you'll get one with a good trigger, but maybe not.

Gee..4 rounds. Glad to see you gave it a fair shake Roll Eyes

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post