SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What are people's views on gun collecting/favorite handgun brand?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are people's views on gun collecting/favorite handgun brand? Login/Join 
Picture of Austin228
posted
It seems like no one wants to be seen as a "gun collector" these days, like it's a bad thing.

What are peoples thoughts.

I have seen a number of derogatory comments about gun collectors from people I can only assume are gun owners on various forums.

I personally don't see it any different as someone who collects silver coins, etc.

I mean as long as you can afford to pay necessary expenses then buy what you want on top of that.

Just wondering what the average number of firearms owned are for Sig Forum.

You gentlemen/ladies keep what you get or move on to something new?

I think I listed all the major handgun manufacturers per the most recent data I could find.

Question:
What are your views about buying guns/collecting them?

Choices:
I only buy a gun as a tool, I own 1-4 max at any time
Not trying to collect but I somehow own 5-10 firearms
I swear I'm not a collector! 11-16 firearms
Collector - 17 - 25 firearms
Master Weapon Collector 26+ firearms
Law Enforcement: Everything I buy/receive is related to Duty/CCW

Question:
What is your favorite brand of handgun?

Choices:
Sigarms/Sig Sauer
Glock
Heckler and Koch
Smith and Wesson
Ruger
Walther
Beretta
Colt
Steyr
Taurus
Springfield Armory
STI/Dan Wesson/Wilson/High End 1911's etc
Something else

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems like no one wants to be seen as a "gun collector" these days, like it's a bad thing.

No one? Proud collector, here. And shooter, too. There are simply no reasons to be one at the exclusion of the other.

Oh, and the so-called shooters should be thankful that there are collectors out there that kept their guns pristine all these years and subsequently sold their collection, so they (the shooters) can enjoy them. Wink

Q

Posts: 26349 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
It’s a marketing trick to make people take shooting classes. You see it most often by people selling classes, or shilling for them. It’s not totally wrong, you still see people against WML and modern techniques for defensive shooting.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
Thought I was at least a beginner collector but with only a dozen SIGs, looks like I am pretty low on the totem pole. I can say this... i traded my one Glock for a P220 and sold a S&W for money to buy a SIG and I have yet to sell or trade away any of my SIGs. So, keeping up this strategy, I will get to collector status eventually Cool

The good thing is now, I can tell my wife I need at least 5 more (and a bigger safe) to reach collector status Wink

And yes, I completed the poll

Dave

Posts: 469 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Can’t stand the damn things myself. Wink

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I would have to check the collector box based on the number of guns I have. I do not consider myself a “gun collector” despite the fact that I have over twenty firearms. I have only five Sigs, the most of any of the brands I own. I have Sigs, Rugers, Berettas, Colts, Remingtons, S&W’s, Bushmaster, and a Les Baer. Most are redundant, except for a few bullseye pistols.
I admit that I have more than I really need, but I enjoy them all.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I don't really consider my self a collector even though I had to put myself in the master category.

I have for the last 15+ years bought guns that I like and take out to shoot and have (carry) just in case.

then ...... I think I've bought 4 or 5 Sig P239s in the last 5 months...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't collect them - they just multiply inside the safe. Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I have a few Colt's that have greatly appreciated in value over the years. (Sadly, no Pythons). And a HK P7 that has also appreciated.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I think the OP needs to find some new friends...;-)

Last night we had drinks with out new neighbors who are from NJ. Surprisingly enough they asked me about local shooting ranges as the wife just got her first pistol (.22).

I told them I would gladly take them to our local range as my guest to see if they would like to join..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I had to check the master collector box, but I don't consider myself a collector, at least not in the classic sense. There are certain types of guns that I enjoy shooting, and I have compiled a modest "collection" of those, but none of them are pristine safe queens, nor do any of them have any significant value. I don't have a stack of pristine original boxes for every gun I own, or factory letters, or anything like that.

I buy what I like to shoot, and I shoot them all. If I determine that a gun isn't getting used, it usually gets sold off down the road to make room for one that will. I guess if that makes me a "collector", then I am one.

For the record, I have nothing against those who have a large collection of immaculate safe queens, and don't view "collector" as a dirty word. I enjoy it when they share photos and information about the guns they have. I don't have the funds or space to justify that for myself, but I can still live vicariously though others Big Grin!

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
You don’t have CZ as a choice?!?!?!? Shame. Shame! SHAME!!!!

And you need to widen your range. There are plenty of folks around here who have well over 100 firearms.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’ve got tools and I’ve got toys.

While my collection is small, I like Ruger Revolvers. Particularly oddball and harder to find guns, and I love the Six series guns.

I voted Ruger based solely on what I collect though it didn’t seem to count it. But for tools I prefer either Glock or Sig.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to have a collection of Sig's. Pretty darn complete as to each example. Then GOM arrived. Then finish options, then whole lines designed to last in production for a week. then... I gave up. So me. I have some older nice sigs.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
You don’t have CZ as a choice?!?!?!? Shame. Shame! SHAME!!!!

And you need to widen your range. There are plenty of folks around here who have well over 100 firearms.

yea I totally spaced on CZ my bad

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
There are GUN collectors and there are gun COLLECTORS. I'd put myself in the first group. I am a "gun person" who has a significant number of guns and so collects.

There are collectors that don't seem to be GUN people. I'm not sure why they have a zillion guns, but that is what they have chosen to collect.

In the end, if it makes you happy and doesn't hurt anyone, then do what you will. It's just hard for me to understand vast collections of guns held by people that don't shoot hardly at all. But then there are people will vast collections of art who don't paint, so......

So, which one gets the greater emphasis is what I'm saying.

SIG is my primary, Dan Wesson, and then CZ more recently. But over time I could not begin to tell you how many guns I've owned, bought and sold. I've lost count.

The makeup of the "collection" at any one time has changed. Now it's more stable.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
My collection has been mostly opportunistic. It's been a great 9 or so years. Not really seeking out anything specific but keeping a want list in mind just in case I come across. It will probably be a while before I see anything of serious interest that I have to have. Yes, I do believe they are tools with intrinsic value but lately I have transitioned to silver as a more liquid preservation of wealth.

Ruger, Sig Sauer, Beretta, CZ, Marlin.

Posts: 3507 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I don't collect. It's probably the Japanese minimalism aesthetic in me. I just don't like having a lot of stuff to worry about, just lying around and collecting dust. I know, I'm a bad consumer.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Being an opportunist, it seems that I am more of a caliber guy than shopping for manufacturer specific items.

If something catches my eye, it probably runs on 38 Super, 10mm, 357 Sig, etc... or has the ability to be converted as such.

When a buddy of mine was trying to sell a revolver in 45-70, he knew who to call. Wink

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
maybe its just semantics but in my mind you are conflating collector and enthusiast. An enthusiast to me is someone with lots of guns because they enjoy owning and shooting many different guns. Collector infers acquiring guns that are rare, unique, iconic or antique.

Either way I am neither. I own guns to fit my perceived specific needs. Fortunately I am very needy. Still, based on your criteria I fall into the piker category....

Posts: 549 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post